Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fbcg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
It's the last question before I buy the MBA. I have a program that can run under Win or MAC.That's a Picture convert and compile program work with my project . This program needs 100% CPU to and last 15 minutes to work under my old Pemtium M 1.6Ghz notebook.
Usually I do my job use my notebook in home or my desktop PC in office.But occasionally I need to do some compile outside the office.
So I really need to know whether the MBA will definitely shutdown one core when the CPU usage is 100% and last 15 minutes? :confused:Or maybe you can tell me if the MBA will shutdown when rendering a project in Mayar or 3D Max last 15 minutes.
It's important to me before I buy the MBA. I just need a light notebook and I can do some hard job occassionally, but reliable. I like a Fujisu S6510 too,but it is too expensive and heaver than MBA.
Thanks for your reply.

fbcg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Can't anybody tell me if their MBA will go crash or core shutdown when rending projects in MAYA or doing some hard job on video stream, or etc. ?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
some have core shutdowns, some doesn't. I haven't experienced one core shutdown yet on this macbook air. My old air had shutdowns but after a redo on the thermal paste, the shutdowns went away. It varies among everyone, there's no straight answer.

wordy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Toronto
It doesn't appear to affect the majority of Airs. Strictly speaking, it isn't an issue with the Air at all, but rather it's the processor.

In some processors, when shutting down one core to reduce heat output it seems that running apps aren't properly handed off to the other core, resulting in a stutter or pause (one to a few seconds). If you had an affected machine, there would be a pause in whatever app you were running. It probably wouldn't cause damage to your renders or compiles, but if you're listening to a song in iTunes the constant pauses would get really annoying.

I haven't read of a user who still gets core shutdowns after installing CoolBook, so basically if you're willing to shell out the $10 for a license, you can be virtually assured that you won't have to see a bad-type core shutdown. If you're more daring, you can also do the thermal paste re-application. There's a huge thread on here, and it's really quite simple.

fbcg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Thank you for all your replys, I think I am aware that the shutdown problem is just under the overheat condition of the CPU. But to my java base program, I don't really know that if it would go wrong if one core shutdown when compiling.
But now I am sure that the MBA is really fit me. Thank you again.

BTW: Is anybody here do some ARM CPU coding job?(I mean in mac envirement)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.