Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Last week the Bluetooth Special Interest Group celebrated ten years since its formation for the purpose of defining and promoting the radio-networking standard that was supposed to link everything together. But has Bluetooth actually done anything more than enable everyone to look like a **** with a glowing blue ear?
The Register.

I just loved that first paragraph :D

I remember back in the early days hearing the wonder that Bluetooth was supposed to bring, and though it is capable of delivering on many of those, it all just never really happened. oh well.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I remember back in the early days hearing the wonder that Bluetooth was supposed to bring, and though it is capable of delivering on many of those, it all just never really happened. oh well.

Just like WAP. :p

Though that being said, a number of bars in Soho supported you being able to order your drinks over WAP prior to ones arrival. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Bluetooth is just bad. It lets people use a mouse and keyboard wirelessly. Amazing! It's also like a billion times more power-hungry than an IR mouse.

The only time I use bluetooth is when I sync with my phone, since I don't like to use the cable, and I never even bothered trying to use IR on a Mac (is there a way?) because I wanted to feel like I was a young, modern guy and used Bluetooth instead. Now I just don't see a difference, or care, as long as it works.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't mind Bluetooth for mice and phone file transfers (and contact sync). But it's not this be-all wonderking we were told.

10 years? I only really heard of it in 2001.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Think I only use bluetooth for my Apple Keyboard and Mouse.

I remember reading about it ages ago in T3 magazine or EDGE or something and how it would revolutionise things from ordering diet coke from a vending machine to linking cars on a motorway. Not too far a cry from my keyboard and mouse I suppose...

What happened to wireless USB?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i had hope for it, but really it is a failing technology. shame really since it had so much promise at the beginning.

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
I must say that title of this post really made me laugh a loud.. :D Well, jokes apart.. It really sounds great that bluetooth has completed ten years from it's launching date. I do use wireless mouse & keyboard. It really made my work easy & relaxing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.