PDA

View Full Version : powerbook g4 DC-in board needs replacing?

coneman5259
May 27, 2008, 12:39 PM
I have a 12" powerbook g4 that has fallen off the couch or ottoman many times, mostly because roommates never seem to realize that if you catch a cord on your foot that you probably shouldn't continue to walk. This is also because of the inferior non-magsafe charger. This ends up with the powerbook to land right onto the charger and bend the **** out of the male end. In fact I just received my 4th charger and now it doesn't work, I have a multi-meter so I know the charger has juice, but the computer isn't charging. Any advice before I bite the dust and totally dismantle this beautiful machine and place a new DC-in board into it? Thank you all in advance.

UltraNEO*
May 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have a 12" powerbook g4 that has fallen off the couch or ottoman many times, mostly because roommates never seem to realize that if you catch a cord on your foot that you probably shouldn't continue to walk. This is also because of the inferior non-magsafe charger. This ends up with the powerbook to land right onto the charger and bend the **** out of the male end. In fact I just received my 4th charger and now it doesn't work, I have a multi-meter so I know the charger has juice, but the computer isn't charging. Any advice before I bite the dust and totally dismantle this beautiful machine and place a new DC-in board into it? Thank you all in advance.

Sound like the charge socket has come away from the PCB due to, too many bumps, or worst, the socket has been damaged. Either way, you won't know what's what till you painstakingly dismantle the thing. If it's cause from any of the above, you'll need a soldering iron to fix or a new part.

If you've never done it before I'd advice you goto ifixit.com (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/), match the system and print out the guides for your particular PowerBook, I believe the PB12 is a pain in the rear to take apart and re-assemble.

Good Luck.

coneman5259
May 27, 2008, 06:28 PM
I already checked out ifixit, they helped me out before with my ibook, and the process is indeed horrifyingly intense. However the DC-in board is a separate piece with a ribbon cable attaching it to the logic board. So hopefully my ill-fated soldering techniques will not be used. Thank you.