PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV - PS3 vs. 360

Shacklebolt
May 27, 2008, 02:05 PM
I know this is a tricky question to ask, as it's very unlikely that anyone has both, but I am soon to drop $65 on the game, and, as I am in the position to buy a copy for either PS3 or 360, I'm curious as to which people feel is better.

Yes, I know about downloadable content for the 360. I also know that the PS3 version trumps the 360's in terms of graphics (apparently). Finally, both of them have the exact same metascore.

So, yeah. Advice?

Dagless
May 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
I'll post you a coin to flip if you'd like?

It's just as you said. DLC versus graphics (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6191251/). The PS3 version has "blurry" (not bluray :p) graphics but a better overall effect whereas the 360 is sharper.

zap2
May 27, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'd go Xbox because the graphics are very very similar...the downloadable content, however, will result in more play time(if you plan to beat the single player)

spyker3292
May 27, 2008, 04:15 PM
I don't know.... I have the PS3 one and it's fun. But I'm sure the 360 one is just as fun ;). Isn't that what games are about? Being fun? I'm a bit pissed at Microsoft pretty much buying rights for DLC but I'm fine, the story was great. I just finished it. Now just got all that extra stuff.

2nyRiggz
May 27, 2008, 04:19 PM
Not this VS crap again...

Get the one that your friends have so you can play with them...both versions are the practically the same(you can't lose)

Bless

sikkinixx
May 27, 2008, 04:45 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/its-a-trap.jpg

MacRumorUser
May 27, 2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.dagimp.org/owned/bad_thread.jpg.jpg

edit..

Ok to answer - I bought the PS3 version, but I have played the 360. As others have said 360 is slightly sharper, PS3 has faster load times. But overall there is little difference between either. If you want to talk differences try Viking : Battle for Asgard, the PS3 version is brutal (bad) compared to the 360 version.

bov
May 27, 2008, 05:13 PM
go with the 360 version, the graphics are the same on both consoles ;)

luftwaffles08
May 27, 2008, 09:02 PM
i only have the xbox 360 version, but from what i've seen in comparison shots online, the graphics are virtually identical. i'd say the only factors for your decision would be the DLC and which controller you like better. i really enjoy it on the 360 but then again i'm obsessed with achievements.

e˛Studios
May 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/ericrwalker/pichers1.jpg

Shacklebolt
May 27, 2008, 09:55 PM
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/images/BIG-Flames.jpg

FYP.

Just asking for some buying advice. Apparently I missed some sort of PS3 v. 360 GTA war.

Mackilroy
May 27, 2008, 10:09 PM
You did.

I would buy the Xbox 360 version on account of that it looks like it'll have a longer single-player life, but if your PS3 is gathering dust because you have no games for it, buy it for that.

Artful Dodger
May 27, 2008, 11:18 PM
I bought the 360 one (so that's my vote) because I have a 360 but as it has been posted on Xbox Live, 10 hours of extra game play will be coming out by fall only for the Xbox version :D My neighbor has the PS3 one and I do like the 360 version better as we have similar LCD HD TV's and have the HDMI hooked up on both for the best connection. Either way it's all fun and being able to play with your friends in this one is better yet so enjoy!

notsofatjames
May 31, 2008, 12:01 PM
i think the ps3 graphics could have been so much better if it wasnt for the xbox. Rockstar shrunk down the size to fit on a DVD rather than letting rip and fill up a 50GB BluRay disk! Having played both, pick the one with the best controller. Im a PS3 fanboy at heart, so that gets my vote.

MacRumorUser
May 31, 2008, 02:31 PM
i think the ps3 graphics could have been so much better if it wasnt for the xbox. Rockstar shrunk down the size to fit on a DVD rather than letting rip and fill up a 50GB BluRay disk! Having played both, pick the one with the best controller. Im a PS3 fanboy at heart, so that gets my vote.

REALLY! I wouldn't of guessed by your wild assumptions ;)

And the PS3 version was still on BluRay. If Rockstar wanted to they could have filed the entire disk with lots of extra stuff... oh wait, that' coming to 360 as DLC... ;) And according to Rockstar themselves they purposely wanted to make this game smaller and more confined that the sprawling San Andrea's. Their design CHOICE and not design CONSTRAINT.

Furthermore according to themselves, the only constraint and concession they had in regards to the 360 version had more to do with lack of HDD support in some models, rather than the optical media
it was using.

notsofatjames
May 31, 2008, 03:13 PM
REALLY! I wouldn't of guessed by your wild assumptions ;)

And the PS3 version was still on BluRay. If Rockstar wanted to they could have filed the entire disk with lots of extra stuff... oh wait, that' coming to 360 as DLC... ;) And according to Rockstar themselves they purposely wanted to make this game smaller and more confined that the sprawling San Andrea's. Their design CHOICE and not design CONSTRAINT.

Furthermore according to themselves, the only constraint and concession they had in regards to the 360 version had more to do with lack of HDD support in some models, rather than the optical media
it was using.

I didnt mean larger as in playable area, but the graphics could have been much much better.

MacRumorUser
May 31, 2008, 04:00 PM
I didnt mean larger as in playable area, but the graphics could have been much much better.

Then why is the PS3 version in a lower 'native' res than the 360. Your argument is still flawed.

The PS3 is not this untapped source of power that people seem to think it is. At the end of the day it's graphical prowess is pretty much on spec with the 360, however the restriction of 256mb for GPU memory as opposed of using upto 512mb on the 360, means whilst we will see further refinement of games graphics (on both platforms) don't expect to see any massive leap over the 360 at all, regardless that the PS3 has BluRay.

stainlessliquid
Jun 3, 2008, 02:54 AM
There have been comparisons by a few sites, and the general consensus seems to be that the PS3 is the better version. This isnt taking into considering the downloadable content though, nobody knows what kind of content it will be so its not fair to judge, and nobody knows if the PS3 will get just as much content. The content could end up like Vista Ultimate Extras, super lame and never updated. The deal was that the 360 will get exclusive content, so it is coming, but it doesnt mean the PS3 cant have content too (it just cant have the 360's content).

Basically the 360 version runs at a slightly higher resolution, but the pixel shading and colors arent quite as good as on the PS3 (you can definitely see it in screenshots, the 360 version is pretty pale). The reviewers tended to prefer the PS3's graphics because the better color and HDR made a bigger difference than the resolution. The PS3 version also had less pop-in because of the installation on the HDD. If youve ever played San Andreas on the PS2 you can understand how brutal texture pop-in can be.

The 360 version also has achievements if youre into that (which means you cant really cheat... which sucks a lot of the fun out of GTA), and I imagine the multiplayer is a little better thanks to Live.

I would go PS3, mostly because of the pop-in which I hated in San Andreas. If the 360 gets some awesome downloadable content like an expansion pack with its own little story then Sony isnt just going to sit and do nothing, theyll get their own expansion as well. Plus Rockstar isnt going to let the PS3 market go untapped once the 360 contract is fulfilled, expansions are big money with popular games.

Dagless
Jun 3, 2008, 03:27 AM
Just some counterpoints-

The 360 version also has HDR, it's not limited to the PS3 version.

Don't be so silly as to compare San Andreas pop in with GTA IV pop in. I've played the 360 version long enough, in fast cars and in enough helicopters to never see pop up as bad as San Andreas.