Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I would assume that all of OS X is altivec enhanced, since the vast majority of the Apple product line is G4s. With altivec enhancements all of OS X will run better than on a G3. It just helps performance wise in the general scope of things.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by OutThere761
I would assume that all of OS X is altivec enhanced, since the vast majority of the Apple product line is G4s. With altivec enhancements all of OS X will run better than on a G3. It just helps performance wise in the general scope of things.

so true...and now the G3 chip is a thing of history

what a long run that processor had...six years with apple, and that is a long time in the world of microprocessors

i predict the G4 chip has less than 18 months, maybe way less, left with apple but it would have also logged a pretty long history itself in the world of macs

now apple, bring on the G5 to the rest of the product lines:D

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
G3's can't run a lot of software too. Well I wouldn't say a lot, but no Soundtrack is all I know of, I'm sure there is more. There are a lot of programs out there the require Altivec. You can't run any single one of them. I have a friend who can't run a lot of software on his ibook. Sucks to be him.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Haha - POWER TO THE iBOOK G4s! I really do wonder how long it will take the G5 to trickle down into the iBooks and eMacs. I would think that the Powerbooks will come next, then iMacs, then eMacs, then iBooks, but I have now clue how long that will take, hopefully it will be far enough away that I will be able to afford a G5 iBook! G5 iPods would be nice - get your iPod today - they're great for video editing!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
...I really do wonder how long it will take the G5 to trickle down into the iBooks and eMacs. I would think that the Powerbooks will come next, then iMacs, then eMacs, then iBooks, but I have now clue how long that will take... G5 iPods would be nice - get your iPod today - they're great for video editing!

I would LOVE a G5 iBook, that would be a killer machine. But I think the next generation -G6?- would have to come out first before that happens. Slowly, from reading people's complaints about the G4, I've become to dislike it too :p

As for a speedy handheld, I just got a Tungsten C which has a 400Mhz Intel something-or-other proc in it- it FLIES. Never seen a handheld so fast....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Haha - POWER TO THE iBOOK G4s! I really do wonder how long it will take the G5 to trickle down into the iBooks... eMacs. I would think that the Powerbooks will come next, then iMacs, then eMacs, then iBo

...fast release - powerbooks in january 2004 and everything else by the end of 2004

slow...powerbook in mid 2004 sometime and everything else by mid-2005

i hope apple gets cracking on the G5 in all models

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
There also could be a middle route where G5 powerbooks come later and then everything comes a little bit farther off after the powerbooks. Or they could just skip the G5s in some models and go straight to G6s. Or anything really, there are unlimited possibilities. We'll need to get a spy in there to steal marklar and some of those 10 nm G5s they have in the broom closet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.