Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Ill be scouring the net and sending out requests to Adobe for this.
I figured Id ask here if any has experienced what Im dealing with.
AE CS3 and Leopard seems to be not working right for me on my MacPro Dual 3GHz Quad-Core. Running 10.5.2, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500.
AE CS3 is up to date as well.
The crash occurs at two different steps.
One is that if your running the RAM preview and let it loop for an extra few the beach ball comes up. The other is if you just let the software sit for a few minutes (random time) the computer locks up to the point where the beach ball comes back.
Both cases you have to hard reboot the thing :(
Most of my work is in HD (1920x1080) and most resources are graphics ranging from 3000 pixels square.
I have crashed it just using default text built in AE CS3.
I also tested using no openGL.
If anyone has experienced this please chime in and join my pain :p

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
I have the same problem when I let my comp sit with AE up too long. Crash and hard restart.

AE 7 and CS3 are both glitchy as hell.:mad:

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
this might sound like a strange fix but i was having similar glitches (not bad enough to crash mind) - I changed the colour scheme of my workspace. From default to dark grey/almost black.

Since then it's been fine. I'm not saying the two are linked but since i changed the colour scheme things have been ok? This might indicate its a graphics card issue?

Do you have access to an ATI 2600 for the MP you can try for a while?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
this might sound like a strange fix but i was having similar glitches (not bad enough to crash mind) - I changed the colour scheme of my workspace. From default to dark grey/almost black.

Since then it's been fine. I'm not saying the two are linked but since i changed the colour scheme things have been ok? This might indicate its a graphics card issue?

Do you have access to an ATI 2600 for the MP you can try for a while?
Sadly if might be that (graphics card) :( I have the Quadr FX 4500. I do alot of 3D so its requiered. However, openGL on both Mac and PC using AE simply doesnt work here (properly). I have a Quadro FX 5600 on a killer BOXX Tech PC and I still have to shut off the openGL option.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
i don't kow how multiple cards work on the MP, but i wonder if you can put a 2600 (thats what i use) in your machine (there are loads on ebay because people upgrade to the 8800GT) for use in after effects and use the Quadro for your other graphics work.

I've heard the quadro has problems like this, i've never used a quadro myself, though i have used FireGL cards on PCs before and they're great.

My kingdom for a FireGL on the Mac!!

Mexcalina

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Does after effects CS3 only work with leopard?

Hey together,

i have a g4 (10.3.9) and i would like to know if the adobe after effects CS3 does work with my mac? I'm not shure if it does, because i have problems installing it :eek:

Thanks

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Hey together,

i have a g4 (10.3.9) and i would like to know if the adobe after effects CS3 does work with my mac? I'm not shure if it does, because i have problems installing it :eek:

Thanks

Looks like you need to upgrade to Tiger.

MACINTOSH

PowerPC® G4 or G5 or multicore Intel processor
Mac OS X v10.4.9–10.5 (Leopard)
1GB of RAM for DV; 2GB of RAM for HDV and HD
3GB of available hard-disk space plus 2GB of space for optional content (additional free space required during installation)
1024x768 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card; Adobe recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback

link

Mexcalina

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for your answer. So is it posible to upgrade to tiger? Or do i have to buy a new mac? :confused:

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
pre CS4

well its January 2nd and still havent installed our CS4 updates.
its common practise not to install new software till major workload is done and done :p
however since Ive last posted about AE CS3 on my MacPro, its become common to save at every step due to the constant crash beach ball of death on this box. I know this is going to be a moot subject in a few days (CS4 upgrade) but has anyone else experience this?
Oh yeah...Happy New Year folks ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.