PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving and Apple Events

MacRumors
Nov 26, 2003, 09:30 AM
The Thanksgiving holiday falls on Thursday (November 27th) in the United States. As a result, reporting across the web from U.S. based sites may be abbreviated over the next few days.

The Friday after Thanksgiving has traditionally been a very busy shopping day, and Apple will be taking advantage of it with a In Store Apple Event (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031120221109.shtml) rumored to be offer 10% discounts on Music Related products.

The next major Apple event will be MacWorld San Francisco (http://www.macworldexpo.com) which takes place from January 6-9, 2004 next calendar year.

arn
Nov 26, 2003, 09:34 AM
macrumors will continue to be updated as needed over the Thanksgiving weekend.

arn

yoman
Nov 26, 2003, 09:37 AM
:)

ITR 81
Nov 26, 2003, 09:41 AM
It would be nice to have some sortof live update. Is anyone going to be doing it this time like they did for last music event for Windows iTunes??

Lancetx
Nov 26, 2003, 09:42 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone and enjoy the sale at the Apple Store on Friday! And go Cowboys! :D

zcar86
Nov 26, 2003, 09:42 AM
Nice

dho
Nov 26, 2003, 09:46 AM
I will be at the apple store in Corte Madera :)

gwuMACaddict
Nov 26, 2003, 09:58 AM
yes, happy thanksgiving all! but only 10% off of music items? you can get more than that off at amazon on any given day. lame, apple... laaaame.

mainstreetmark
Nov 26, 2003, 10:00 AM
This is no rumor!! Thanksgiving does fall on the 27th this year. I've independently verified it with my sources.

Trowaman
Nov 26, 2003, 10:05 AM
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Apple store Shopping. As for me, time to leave UNT and get back home to Houston. Ahh, home . . .

Nightstalker
Nov 26, 2003, 10:44 AM
I've heard about that, too, mainstreetmark,

BUT

reliable sources over here in Germany (one of them a registered Apple developer, working close with Apple) indicated that this "Thanksgiving" thing is going to be mostly a US only thing (or at least not coming to Germany in the near future) - just like the iTunes Store...

Nightstalker

humangod
Nov 26, 2003, 10:48 AM
Happy Thanksgiving my fellow apple geeks!

EAT EAT EAT!!!!

I love Thanksgiving!

jg3
Nov 26, 2003, 10:50 AM
The Friday after Thanksgiving has traditionally been a very busy shopping day

Read: The Busiest Shopping Day of the Year. Stay huddled in your homes!

spaced
Nov 26, 2003, 10:53 AM
There is no way I'm even thinking of leaving my house for any reason this Friday, much less going within a 5 mile radius of the mall.

coumerelli
Nov 26, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by jg3
Read: The Busiest Shopping Day of the Year. Stay huddled in your homes!

call me stupid...no really, I deserve it. The wifey and I are heading out to ......Shaumburg Apple store on fri, and N. Michigan Ave Apple store on sat! WHY?!? Plus we've never been to The Shedd Aquarium.

Happy Thanksgiving.

wdlove
Nov 26, 2003, 11:12 AM
Happy Thanksgiving fellow MacRumors members.

My hope is that the 10% discount will be extended to more than just music items.

merge
Nov 26, 2003, 11:14 AM
I will be really pissed if this event is only a 10% discount..

Give us an ipod for $199!!!!
I will buy 3...

mrsebastian
Nov 26, 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by arn
macrumors will continue to be updated as needed over the Thanksgiving weekend.

arn

in between the gravy dripping into the keyboard and the cranberry-sticky mouse, arn tirelessly updates us on apples latest and greatest. ;) three cheers to arn and happy thanksgiving!

CrackedButter
Nov 26, 2003, 11:36 AM
I can't wait for Macworld in January.

I'm hoping for ipods with built in microphone or speaker rather than using THAT Belkin device... but if they don't get updated then i suppose I'll have to get one.

Problem is i cannot wait to long, I havn't got an iPod anymore. :eek:

*AND* *IF* there are new PowerBooks and they are much improved then I'll be buying one of them as well.

But i'm looking (hoping) for a 17" PB (i have a 15") with a x4 Superdrive, + that Apple magic we all know them for.

Maybe lower weight, better battery.

GrannySmith_G5
Nov 26, 2003, 11:52 AM
I can understand Apple's focus on the ipod because it is selling so well, but they are still primarily a computer maker. I would hope on such a busy shopping day they would have a discount on ALL of their merchandise.

frinky23
Nov 26, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by coumerelli
call me stupid...no really, I deserve it. The wifey and I are heading out to ......Shaumburg Apple store on fri, and N. Michigan Ave Apple store on sat! WHY?!? Plus we've never been to The Shedd Aquarium.

Happy Thanksgiving.

The Schaumburg store is going to be especially crowded on Friday, you probably will not enjoy your visit. Woodfield Mall is a nightmare after Thanksgiving, so expect to not find a parking space and to not be able to move on your way through the Mall to the Apple Store.

I'll be waking up on Friday morning just a few blocks from the Michigan Ave. Apple Store, so I might walk over and see what's going on. If I wasn't going to be so close, there's no way I'd venture out anywhere near the shopping areas.

jxyama
Nov 26, 2003, 12:05 PM
who rated this story "negative"..! geez...

the holiday shopping spree is mostly about impulse shopping. buying gifts... so i don't think it makes much of a difference whether the computer is sold at an discount or not. because if you were going to give something like a computer (costing on the order of $1000), you'd think about it a little before purchasing. very few of us would decide on a spot that a $1000 eMac discounted to $900 is a good gift - few of can afford to spend money like that.

iPod, however, is in $300 to $500 range. i imagine discounts to be very helpful in pushing those impulse shoppers over the top...

dynamicd
Nov 26, 2003, 12:09 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Also, do you guys think speakers will also be included in this sale on friday?

mainstreetmark
Nov 26, 2003, 12:30 PM
Hey! I'll be on Michigan Ave on Friday too! We can have a little meeting.

sethypoo
Nov 26, 2003, 12:46 PM

Happy Thanksgiving.

I won't call you stupid, but I will wish you the best of luck!

You're going to need it.

:) :p :D :p :)

Foxer
Nov 26, 2003, 01:33 PM

Happy Thanksgiving.

I will be in both of the locations on those days as well.

Of course, I love shopping during the Christmas season.

AmigoMac
Nov 26, 2003, 01:48 PM

Happy Thanksgiving.

BTW, Stupid is as Stupid does :D

Happy shopping season... greetings from Germany...

That's all I have to say about that!:cool:

Jerry Spoon
Nov 26, 2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
It would be nice to have some sortof live update. Is anyone going to be doing it this time like they did for last music event for Windows iTunes??

Come on, let these hard working folks eat their leftovers and veg out on the couch for a day :D
Easy for me to say. I'll probably be stopping by my local Apple store.

pkradd
Nov 26, 2003, 03:15 PM
The day after Thanksgiving used to be the busiest shopping day. The day after Thanksgiving used to be the beginning of the shopping season. Not any more. The reason is that Christmas retailing starts right after Halloween nowadays. The busiest days are now the two just before Christmas when even deeper discounts are available. Times they are a changin'.

People will be out and about but not necessarily buying on November 28th.

noel4r
Nov 26, 2003, 04:06 PM
Happy Turkey Day you'all

gobble, gobble, gobble