PDA

View Full Version : Stolen iPod Question

The Toon Master
May 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
My friend recently learned an iPod he had lost last year was stolen by someone at his school. However, he doesn't think he has the Serial Number for it. Is there any way he can find the serial number and prove it is his?

alphaod
May 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
The S/N is obviously on the iPod.

Also it is on the receipt if he got it from Apple. I think they can reprint receipts as long as he knows the purchase date.

cyclingplatypus
May 28, 2008, 09:23 PM
If he registered it he might be able to call an Apple CSR and see if they can give it to him.

Sun Baked
May 28, 2008, 09:53 PM
This is what happens with bad record keeping ... record or file away any serial numbers on items of worth.

Though there likely will hopefully be a police report on the item, with the serial number.

If the item is yours, and you grab a look at the SN. And it's yours, just take it and walk away.

When they threaten to report it stolen to a teacher, tell them "Please do." as long as the police have that serial number recorded in your filed police report.

The Toon Master
May 30, 2008, 09:53 AM
Well, my friend doesn't remember the Serial #, and most liekly doesn't have a reciept. I'll tell him bout the reciept thing (Hopefully he remembers the date, prolly not)

I think he mentioned calling something like the CSR if they have a record on it.

He is going to check the Serial #, but apparently the person who took it recently lost it (I think he told someone he didn't really care b/c it wasn't his anyway, and that person told my friend). Ironically, the kid who stole it filed a police report against someone else, which was declared false, so something could happen about that).

Thank you for all your help

H$R
May 30, 2008, 02:04 PM
how to find out his serial number: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1459

From the article:

In iTunes 7.6 or later

1. Hold down the Control key and choose Help > About iTunes (Windows) or iTunes > About iTunes (Mac).
2. Release the Control key.
3. As the iTunes and QuickTime version information scrolls, you will see the last connected iPhone's serial number and IMEI.

It says iPhone here, but it also means iPod. Though it only displays the number of the last connected iPod, so he ever connected is sisters iPod (just an example of course) since his got stolen, it would display her number.

Other ways:

-On your iPod packaging

If you still have the original packaging that your iPod came in, you can find your iPod serial number printed on the barcode label that's affixed to the packaging.

-On your iPod invoice or receipt

Your product invoice or receipt may list your iPod serial number.

Hope this helps, if he still has the packaging, he could even proof it's his.