Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I’m still pretty new to Quake Wars myself, but I have some beginner advice. Don't be afraid of the complexity: do what you know, and the rest will make sense later. Practice against bots, but don’t be afraid to play online and die a lot: you can still help your team, and you'll soon see your stats (tracked by Ranked servers) start to improve. 4newbies and BattleWiki are good reference sources to answer your questions, or search the official forums. GreasedScotsman’s tutorial videos are also helpful.

Meanwhile, here are two easy, non-complicated roles you can start with right away:

s26723_pc_2.jpg

Best choice: play as a GDF Medic, and if you do the following you WILL be helping your team:

1. Look on your screen for a floating yellow diamond showing the direction to the current objective. If you don't see one, look at the sides of your screen for a little yellow arrow. Go there! If you can't survive in the heart of the fight, spend more time on the edges.

2. Hit 5 for defibrillators (3 gets your gun back).

3. Get up close to anyone--human OR Strogg--who is lying injured on the ground. Aim at them and click.

That's all it takes to help your team a lot. There's much more you can do (press 6 to be able to toss health packs around the battlefield--which you can even pick up yourself) but simply clicking with defibs does many things:

* Defibs on a fallen teammate revives them.

* Defibs (or any weapon) on a fallen enemy makes them impossible to revive (it may take more than one hit to make them stop moving).

* Defibs on a glowing red "spawn host" body destroys it--very useful. (Spawn hosts are a secondary way that Strogg can "revive.")

* But defibs on a body that's not "twitching" is useless--they’re already completely dead. Go for the moving bodies and the spawn hosts.

s26723_pc_80.jpg

Second best choice: play as Strogg Infiltrator, with whatever weapon you prefer. (Railgun is powerful and zooms in more, but the trail gives away your location. Lacerator is weaker but fires multiple shots and won't give you away as much.)

1. Hit 5 twice for your Radar tool. Walk forward until you find a spot marked in all green, and click. Now your team can see enemies (red) on radar. (Hit 3 to get your gun back.) If you later find your radar is gone, just deploy it again.

2. Approach the battle (yellow diamond) and find an out-of-the way sniping spot.

3. Hit X to lie Prone (and spacebar to rise if you need to flee). Click the right mouse button to zoom in. Hit 'Use' to increase the zoom even more. Now you can see really well, but the enemy can't as easily see you.

4. Shoot enemies until they catch you! Anyone with a red triangle or no triangle. (White or green triangles are friends.) Aim for the head if possible. It's OK to shoot vehicles too--they're easier to hit!

That's it. Again, when you're ready, there's always more you can do. (Hold down 'Use' on an enemy body to disguise yourself, then sneak up to enemy deployables. Click to exit disguise, then aim at the deployable and hold down 'Use' to disable it. Remember, any time you have to hold down Use, hold it until the ring around your crosshair shows you’re done.)

Hopefully this is a helpful starting place if you’re intimidated as a newbie. Quake Wars is a great game. Have fun!

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Wow, that's a lot of video! Thanks.

EDIT: I added that link to my post.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
What are those defilbrator thingys that the GDF medics have? the two little squares u hold in both hands, dont those revive too?

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Human Medic = Strogg Technician
Human Soldier = Strogg Aggressor
Human Engineer = Strogg Constructor
Human Field Ops = Strogg Oppressor
Human Covert Ops = Strogg Infiltrator

But they're not the same--only somewhat similar. Playing as GDF Medic is less complicated than playing as Strogg Technician, because Techs give out ammo AND health (Stroyent supplies both), and they have to make Spawn Hosts. Most importantly, Techs cannot revive instantly--it takes a second or two, which is long enough to fail and die trying!

Each class has one "tool" that you never really have to select, because the Use button will bring it up automatically when needed. Pressing 5 and then left-clicking will select it manually and use it, but there's no need. Just hit Use instead. (If there's a second tool, you need to press 5 twice to get it: Use won't access the second tool. Or you can assign your own key just for the second tool.)

The main tool for Medics is the defibrillators. In my tips above, when I say to press Use on fallen bodies, that's what happens: you'll be using the defibs.

Strogg Techs have a Stroyent injector instead.

EDIT: An important grenade tip I wish I'd found sooner: hold the button down a while before throwing, if you want to "cook it off" so explodes quickly without giving the enemy time to run. (Also, the right button tosses less far. And for Strogg, it also makes grenades stick to things instead of bouncing.)

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
EDIT: An important grenade tip I wish I'd found sooner: hold the button down a while before throwing, if you want to "cook it off" so explodes quickly without giving the enemy time to run. (Also, the right button tosses less far. And for Strogg, it also makes grenades stick to things instead of bouncing.)

That is a must, you have to cook grenade in most situations or they'll just run out of range of them and if you practice enough (I need to!) you can take an Icarus out of the sky with one grenade.

Good heads-up with the 'use' key for all classes, when I'm an engineer I can be running with the assault rifle one minute and when I reach a damaged deployable/vehicle/MCP, I just press 'f' [USE] and I can repair without the hassle of trying to find the key or without scrolling to the correct tool. It also works when going in disguise as Covert-Ops or as you say, when as medic and want to switch to the de-fibs quickly. :)

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
That is a must, you have to cook grenade in most situations or they'll just run out of range of them and if you practice enough (I need to!) you can take an Icarus out of the sky with one grenade.

Good heads-up with the 'use' key for all classes, when I'm an engineer I can be running with the assault rifle one minute and when I reach a damaged deployable/vehicle/MCP, I just press 'f' [USE] and I can repair without the hassle of trying to find the key or without scrolling to the correct tool. It also works when going in disguise as Covert-Ops or as you say, when as medic and want to switch to the de-fibs quickly. :)

It took me a while to work an Icarus. I saw them a lot online at youtube gameplay videos, but didnt know how to get them to fly, so I tried pressing shift...and woop:p lol, lots of fun, but u have to kinda bounce with them so you dont loose power.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
It took me a while to work an Icarus. I saw them a lot online at youtube gameplay videos, but didnt know how to get them to fly, so I tried pressing shift...and woop:p lol, lots of fun, but u have to kinda bounce with them so you dont loose power.

Did you know you can 'ski' with the Icarus? I haven't tried it myself but I've seen other whizzing past doing it.

>>Icarus Skiing Instructions<<

If you search for Icarus Ski (or Skiing) on Youtube you'll find some videos too if you haven't already. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Interesting. Is that intentional or a bug? Seems like an odd behavior.

I try it and I don't see much speed difference if any, but I've heard it can be useful.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Interesting. Is that intentional or a bug? Seems like an odd behavior.

I try it and I don't see much speed difference if any, but I've heard it can be useful.

I don't think it's intentional just like the bunnyhopping but nobody seems to mind and not many people do it so I guess it's left alone.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Ok, what the hell is a fire team? All I know is that apparently you can communicate easier with whoever is on your fireteam. Is it like some kind of division you can choose to make within the GDF or Strogg to possibly make better plans or something?

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Yes :)

I haven't really messed with that myself, but there are buttons (text and voice) just for talking with your fireteam. (As well as the usual team and global communication keys.) The fireteam leader is the one who can set the mission of the team, and plant markers to guide the others, or something. Anyway it sounds like it could be useful in a really BIG match, with experienced players. Otherwise, I stay flexible and do what's needed at the moment.

I figured out (no thanks to the non-existent documentation) what the color code is for the triangles over people's heads:

* Red = enemy (some servers turn this off, so you can better hide)

* Green = teammate

* Cyan = teammate on your same fireteam

* White = teammate on the same mission (M key) as you (which is kind of like an automatic fireteam in a way)

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Today I was in a server full of bots, i was the only human, i was GDF, and doing the slipgate/nexus mission...damn, I was switch between soldier for exploding AVT's, APT's, and barricade walls, engineer for contruct the guard tours, then to covert op to hack it, back to soldier for blowing up the AVT's in antartica, then to engineer to fix the MCP. damn, lots of work, the furthest i got was deploying the mcp. i couldnt even get into the nexus tower. I hope there are more humans after the 1.5 patch

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
.....I hope there are more humans after the 1.5 patch

There are tons of servers for the latest (1.5) patch. Even with my filters set to hide empty servers, zero bots and sub 200 ping, there's usually a good hundred or so servers to choose from most days and hopefully that will go up. I play it through bootcamp by the way and I hope Aspry get a move on with the 1.5 patch for you guys. :(

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Yea it kinda sucks over here. Are you like playing a public beta or something? But damn, good game, I don't which is better ET:QW or Quake 4. I love doing airstrikes and targeting fire support (field ops jobs). But I think Covert Ops has to have the best job ever...

And I think an engineer has the busiest job, you always have something to do, ya know?

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Not beta: 1.5 is final and was released a week and half ago... for PC.

So everyone updated to 1.5 and is playing without us :eek: Until the Mac version of 1.5 comes out. Then we'll see them and can play against them, just like we could a week and a half ago when they were still on 1.4.

A week and a half isn't so bad, but I sure hope it doesn't get much longer. (Although I know I'll be too busy to play for a while after today.)

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Yea it kinda sucks over here. Are you like playing a public beta or something? But damn, good game, I don't which is better ET:QW or Quake 4. I love doing airstrikes and targeting fire support (field ops jobs). But I think Covert Ops has to have the best job ever...

And I think an engineer has the busiest job, you always have something to do, ya know?

You're about right, if the engineer does all the tasks he's supposed to like repair every deployable, he's about the busiest. I love field ops too, have you figured out how to 'direct' airstrikes yet (Strogg and GDF) or how to manually target with the rocket artillery and plasma mortar?

Covert Ops is good because if you're in disguise, you can can get the back-stab in on the enemy completing an objective (planting charge, transmitting data etc...) and winning the round for you team.

I like medic as well because there's nothing like reviving 3 or 4 of your men in an intense shooting match and turning the tide.

Have you tried the aircraft much yet? There's tons more fun had with those things... :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
or how to manually target with the rocket artillery and plasma mortar?

I played Oppressor and was laughing like a fool, using the plasma mortar as a mid-range face-to-face 1-on-1 weapon. The GDF guy was shooting at me in an open courtyard (Area 22 someplace) and we were both hopping and dodging all over... but I wasn't firing my Lacerator, I was keeping the mortar targeting beam on him. And I got him :) And the guy who came after me next :D And a bot :)

Yes, it was n00b on n00b, but it was highly entertaining nonetheless. I'm not sure whether or not they knew what the laser beam meant... until it was too late :eek:

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I love airstrikes, tons of fun to do, it looks really cool :p, I guess its my graphics. Yea, I have manually targetting the field ops deployables and stuff, but havent found much use in them, I mean its really hard to get the deployable in the right position for hilly maps to target right.

Yea, covert ops is the best, I was in disguise to go liberate the strogg forward spawn, and the technician kept giving me stroyent cells...LMAO LMAO LMAO, I had the laughing stock of my life, I went to liberate their forward spawn, he was still there, then I shot him down, what a surprise. But damn, it was funny, he looked like an idiot giving me stroyent cells :D:D:D

I don't like being a medic, I mean the technician can make spawn hosts, thats good, the medic can call in supply crates (useful), but srsly, by the time you walk to the guy whose down, they already respawned, so that kinda makes it boring, IMO.

As for the aircraft, bumblebee is fun, its really easy to fly, easy to land with damaging it. The asansi or w/e is 12234x faster but harder, I'm not a fan of the tormenter much, its really hard to hover and stay in one place to lock a missle on an APT or AVT or something (obviously you have to act fast with the AVT).

One thing I hate about the strogg is when zooming in, its all pixelated at first (I hate that effect), and whenever you get hit in a vehicle, it gets all blurry, kinda gives the GDF a chance to destroy your vehicle or something.

I like 2 servers, that WorldFriends (i forget the rest of the name), and one thats like: [ETPG] Quake Wars, something like that, A lot of the servers are warmup, its really gay how you just punch each other in that time, at least the bots do. On the [ETPG] Quake Wars one it was all human last night, that was a blast, but before that, the strogg was all bot, and human was all human, the GDF killed that day, no questions asked.

A lot of the guys at the servers I'm playing at are eagerly waiting for the patch too.

What is your username 1ncr3du10u5?

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I played Oppressor and was laughing like a fool, using the plasma mortar as a mid-range face-to-face 1-on-1 weapon. The GDF guy was shooting at me in an open courtyard (Area 22 someplace) and we were both hopping and dodging all over... but I wasn't firing my Lacerator, I was keeping the mortar targeting beam on him. And I got him :) And the guy who came after me next :D And a bot :)

Yes, it was n00b on n00b, but it was highly entertaining nonetheless. I'm not sure whether or not they knew what the laser beam meant... until it was too late :eek:

If I'm flying and I see that laser beam, I'm straight out of there, usually a dive followed by flying in the opposite direction towards base as the base turrets take out plasma mortar and rocket artillery. :D

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I love airstrikes, tons of fun to do, it looks really cool :p, I guess its my graphics. Yea, I have manually targetting the field ops deployables and stuff, but havent found much use in them, I mean its really hard to get the deployable in the right position for hilly maps to target right.

The joy of manual targeting is that you can hit several targets in one go instead of one target taking all the hits though I think when the initial target is destroyed you can manual target the remaining rounds anyway. If you manual target (just like rockets/obliterators) the enemy doesn't get a warning too!

I don't like being a medic, I mean the technician can make spawn hosts, thats good, the medic can call in supply crates (useful), but srsly, by the time you walk to the guy whose down, they already respawned, so that kinda makes it boring, IMO.

I find that's not the case in the matches I play as there tends to be 3 or more medics for many objectives. Half the team practically needs to be medics on inside objectives to win against good teams.

As for the aircraft, bumblebee is fun, its really easy to fly, easy to land with damaging it. The asansi or w/e is 12234x faster but harder, I'm not a fan of the tormenter much, its really hard to hover and stay in one place to lock a missle on an APT or AVT or something (obviously you have to act fast with the AVT).

I like the bumblebee and if you load it with a couple of rocket soldiers you've got yourself one heavily armed vehicle but I absolutely love the Anansi, once you get used to the controls it takes some beating. :)

I like 2 servers, that WorldFriends (i forget the rest of the name), and one thats like: [ETPG] Quake Wars, something like that, A lot of the servers are warmup, its really gay how you just punch each other in that time, at least the bots do. On the [ETPG] Quake Wars one it was all human last night, that was a blast, but before that, the strogg was all bot, and human was all human, the GDF killed that day, no questions asked.

When you get the 1.5 patch, look for the !!!!!theXc!amation Ranked!!!!! server, based in New York. The guys there know there stuff and one of them did the video tutorials for this game, you should get some really good games on there usually.

What is your username 1ncr3du10u5?

I'm the same name ingame: 1ncr3du10u5

Don't forget to check out the video tutorials in the link on my post further up and I recommend checking out some videos of matches too if you've got the time.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
The joy of manual targeting is that you can hit several targets in one go instead of one target taking all the hits though I think when the initial target is destroyed you can manual target the remaining rounds anyway. If you manual target (just like rockets/obliterators) the enemy doesn't get a warning too!

I find that's not the case in the matches I play as there tends to be 3 or more medics for many objectives. Half the team practically needs to be medics on inside objectives to win against good teams.

I like the bumblebee and if you load it with a couple of rocket soldiers you've got yourself one heavily armed vehicle but I absolutely love the Anansi, once you get used to the controls it takes some beating. :)

When you get the 1.5 patch, look for the !!!!!theXc!amation Ranked!!!!! server, based in New York. The guys there know there stuff and one of them did the video tutorials for this game, you should get some really good games on there usually.

I'm the same name ingame: 1ncr3du10u5

Don't forget to check out the video tutorials in the link on my post further up and I recommend checking out some videos of matches too if you've got the time.

yea, bumblebee is really easy to hover with, but they are not always in the games. In the Anansi, its a pain in the ass to make it hover, and to target with the LAW main weapon, but damn, the Anansi can go FAST!!!:D:D:D:cool:. My name is bluedoggiant ill add you.

I just got a crazy idea... MACRUMORS CLAN!!!! WOO!! lol. jjk.,

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
My efforts with Apple Corps / MacClan.net / [MAC] to gather a clan have been slow (no surprise--it's a new game) but you're all invited :)

I hope we gather a big group--like we used to have with past games--but time will tell. Link in my sig.

TFMTASAD

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
hey bluedoggiant! we played together yesterday evening (june 4th). I bought the game yesterday and I was pretty disappointed when I saw there was no 1.5 patch for us yet. It was nice to see at least one human playing. I played with you on the map with the Nexus or something. I was Strogg. If you would like to play with someone while we are waiting for the patch, add me to your buddy list!!

My name in game is TFMTASAD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.