Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianpyst

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Washington
.kkreigger is amazing for what it is. I still play it once in a while to relive the WOW factor.

But .debris is MUCH cooler (mainly cause its newer :p). Its not a interactive game, but it will make most comptuers cry. ^_~

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I've been looking for this game for some time. I remember the first time I played it, it was off of Computer Gaming World's demo discs a few years ago. It is truly amazing though. You could fit the game and all the demos on one floppy disk.

EDIT: I wanted this technology to go farther and into games that we see today, but I guess not. Is it not worth sizing down games anymore?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
A few years ago, I downloaded the beta version of this, but didn't have the necessary hardware to run it reliably. I may have to try again, though.

Farbrausch, the makers of this game, are living legends of the global demoscene community. It's amazing what they can pack into 64 kilobytes. And when they're given unlimited space, they come up with fantastic dreamscapes like FR:025 - The Popular Demo, arguably the most downloaded "demo" ever.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I've been looking for this game for some time. I remember the first time I played it, it was off of Computer Gaming World's demo discs a few years ago. It is truly amazing though. You could fit the game and all the demos on one floppy disk.

EDIT: I wanted this technology to go farther and into games that we see today, but I guess not. Is it not worth sizing down games anymore?

kkrieger uses procedural textures which are not as versatile or impressive and the CPU load is FAR too big for it to be compensated by the small KB requirements which is especially not a problem when HDDs, RAM and Optical Media are getting so big and cheap.

Some games do use procedural generation but it's just not worth it for a full scale game, size is really not an issue right now and it won't be anytime soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.