PDA

View Full Version : Apple should release iPhoto for Windows

MacBytes
Nov 26, 2003, 01:06 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple should release iPhoto for Windows (http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2003/tc20031126_2159_tc056.htm)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

machinehien
Nov 26, 2003, 01:53 PM
It seems their relationship is strained enough already. Plus I thought that iTunes didn't really make money except to push sales of iPods.

Plus if apple is releasing all their popular apps on Windoze what's the point of buying Apple hardware? That at least is what I imagine Apple haters to shout out. I know there's a lot more to the mac experience but i don't see it working out in the long run.

SilvorX
Nov 26, 2003, 02:01 PM
I'm fed up with hearing "apple should release an x86 version of OSX" or "apple should bring out Safari for Windows", Mac users cherish this stuff since its ours, not theirs, and as soon as everyone starts using what you use (excl browser), it doesnt seem so 'cool' anymore since it loses originality :(
but thats what I think, I liked how iTunes and the iPod were originally only available for mac, even tho back when both were released, I only had a PC but I still thought that :P

Bear
Nov 26, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by MacBytes
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple should release iPhoto for Windows (http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2003/tc20031126_2159_tc056.htm)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn Actually if Apple did that, the would have to charge for iPhoto for windows. There is no way they could afford to release it for free.

Also, interacting with the camera drivers would be a nightmare.

Plus every camera comes with album software of varying usefulness, and Adobe Photo Album is strating to come bundled with various things. Apple would have a hard sell probably and couldn't sell it for enough to make their money back.

Stella
Nov 26, 2003, 02:36 PM
Before iPhoto gets released, it will have to be vastly improved.

While I like iPhoto - it needs sub folders so you can categorize your photos. Having one level of photos just doesn't cut it.

On the Mac, iPhoto needs a performance boost. iPhoto performance under Panther is worse than Jag.

Integration between other iApps and OSX is excellent.

hariya
Nov 26, 2003, 06:31 PM
I think Apple should (and probably will) tell anyone who comes over with one of these "apple should port XXX to windows" to bugger off. Apple is predominantly a hardware company which uses quality software to sell its hardware at a premium. It ported itunes only because it will sell more ipods. If isights have a good margin, it might port ichat. I dont see apple porting over i* to windows unless there is an apple branded hardware to make money off.

pyrotoaster
Nov 26, 2003, 06:37 PM
Releasing iPhoto wouldn't follow the same strategy of iTunes for Windows. iTunes (besides generating revenue from the iTMS) encourages people to buy iPods, which - in the long term - gets people to buy Macs. It's money, money, more money, and then (eventually) more switchers and even more money.

Apple doesn't have a digital camera (anymore) that would allow that logic to carry over to iPhoto. In fact, Apple needs to be sure that iLife apps on PCs only give the unconverted a taste of the superior Mac interface. If we give them all of the good iLife apps, they'll have no reason to switch.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 26, 2003, 06:52 PM
Someone commented on that iPhoto on Panther is worse then Jag. This is sort of on the same lines, but iMovie 3 sucks. It is so slow. I tried iMovie 2 on a more then half as slow iMac and it moved quicker then iMovie 3 does. What is with that?

howard
Nov 26, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Before iPhoto gets released, it will have to be vastly improved.

While I like iPhoto - it needs sub folders so you can categorize your photos. Having one level of photos just doesn't cut it.

On the Mac, iPhoto needs a performance boost. iPhoto performance under Panther is worse than Jag.

Integration between other iApps and OSX is excellent.

ha i was going to write just this when i first saw the topic of this thread.

yeah iphoto is practically useless if you have over 1,000 pictures.

ITR 81
Nov 26, 2003, 09:31 PM
No slow down with iPhoto for me before or after Panther.

I think releasing iChat AV w/iSight would be a better deal just include a USB 2.0 cable with it.

hariya
Nov 26, 2003, 11:01 PM
Not to derail this thread but there is any easy solution to speed up iphoto when you have a lot of photos.

From the view menu, select arrange photo by film rolls and then select film roll from the view menu. You can now minimise your old rolls by clicking on the triangular button on the right.

For more hints on iphoto, go check up macosxhints.com

Koyder
Nov 27, 2003, 03:26 AM
To me the idea of Apple's further porting it's the most stupid thing I can think of. Porting of iTunes was fully justified, to say the least - PC users got access to the Music Store and a preview of the genuine Mac/digital hub experience; Apple gained unparalleled publicity. But what the hell would be the point of Apple moving further, since in lots of cases it is iPhoto, it is iMovie or iDVD (constituing the digital hub concept) that tempt people to switch. If people could run iLife applications on Windows, offering a comparable quality (minus the fact that it's Windows), hence have the digital hub without switching to Mac they might consider switching no longer necessary.