PDA

View Full Version : Major new features in OS X 10.5.3

MacBytes
May 29, 2008, 08:07 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Major new features in OS X 10.5.3 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080529090729)
Description:: As predicted a couple of days back, the latest upgrade to Mac OS X Leopard, 10.5.3 has just gone live -- and it's more than just the bug fixes we expected.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

That-Is-Bull
May 29, 2008, 08:30 AM
Wish I could update to it. 10.5.3 borked my iMac and I had to restore to a backup after about four hours of random ****. :(

johnnyjibbs
May 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
This is interesting. I didn't have time to download and install the update last night, but these sound like useful features.

Foxglove9
May 29, 2008, 09:15 AM
My update was only around 190 mb. I don't notice anything new or different, system runs just as good as before.

danuff
May 29, 2008, 09:22 AM
Wish I could update to it. 10.5.3 borked my iMac and I had to restore to a backup after about four hours of random ****. :(

Yes, I know what you mean. I have three Macs and two of the three went fine, while I had to reboot the 3rd one (Mac Pro) in the middle of the update due to a major lockup. When it did, it booted into the updated O/S, but I may have to end up redoing it anyway because

1) I do not trust it (the update installed all the way through).
2) It's a major server and I do not want any hidden problems cropping up down the road.

-Dan Uff

matthutch
May 29, 2008, 09:32 AM
My update was only around 190 mb. I don't notice anything new or different, system runs just as good as before.

The update for by MacBook Air was ~490Mb. I haven't had a chance to do the other machines at home yet, but I'd interested to see how big it is for the other machines.

EDIT: The changes to Address Book syncing contacts to Google might be worth a try if you have an account with Google.

xUKHCx
May 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
The update for by MacBook Air was ~490Mb. I haven't had a chance to do the other machines at home yet, but I'd interested to see how big it is for the other machines.

EDIT: The changes to Address Book syncing contacts to Google might be worth a try if you have an account with Google.

If you have more than one machine then it is almost always best to download the combo updater. In this case the combo is 536MBs, and the individual updates are either 190 or 490 so as you can see it is well worth just downloading the one version and using a USB stick to update all of you machines.

I quite like the google sync as it means I can access my contacts anywhere if I am away from my machines.

matthutch
May 29, 2008, 09:47 AM
If you have more than one machine then it is almost always best to download the combo updater. In this case the combo is 536MBs, and the individual updates are either 190 or 490 so as you can see it is well worth just downloading the one version and using a USB stick to update all of you machines.

I quite like the google sync as it means I can access my contacts anywhere if I am away from my machines.

what is they say about great minds... :) I usually do that but I updated my Air at work :(

The only thing they need to add now is the ability to sync Calendars with Google and have them update both ways, ie. changes made on Google are reflected in iCal :) Either that or just make it so I can update my .Mac calendars online and have them update on my computers :)

gerardrj
May 29, 2008, 08:02 PM
"...There's also another new option in Address Book under the File menu called 'Send Updates'..."

Um... no. This feature has been there for some time, at least since 10.5.0

Amazing how people start poking around for "new" features only to finally discover a feature that was there all along and get really hyped about it.

solvs
May 29, 2008, 11:25 PM
Fixed a bunch of issues we've been having at work with Leopard. Did have one weird issue where it wouldn't reboot, but then I shut it off and tried again and it worked fine. All of the other bugs we were experiencing seem to have gone away. That's enough of a feature for me. If you're having issues, try to run all the options in Onyx first (permissions and such) then download and install the Combo, as noted above. Seems to work best for me at least.

jMc
May 30, 2008, 05:32 AM
"...There's also another new option in Address Book under the File menu called 'Send Updates'..."

Um... no. This feature has been there for some time, at least since 10.5.0

Amazing how people start poking around for "new" features only to finally discover a feature that was there all along and get really hyped about it.

Exactly. This is also a feature on Tiger (which I'm still using) and, as far as I remember Panther as well - I've used it in the past...

The only address book feature I'm waiting for isn't even new - it's the return of the ability to send and receive SMS via Bluetooth. I use this on a daily basis and it's delaying my upgrading to Leopard.

jx

zagato27
May 30, 2008, 11:21 AM
Update for me was 198Mb. Everything went smooth. Haven't investigated changes but for some reason my login screen and wallpaper seems clearer. Maybe it's just me looking for "better" stuff:rolleyes: Cheers