PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Roundup

MacRumors
Oct 21, 2001, 10:42 PM
What is known:

This coming Tuesday, Apple invites you to the unveiling of a breakthrough digital device, (Hint: it's not a Mac).

What is rumored:

[i]iPod -- can be synched with the computer using a high-speed cable connection that allows consumers to download their music into a portable system, which can then be accessed by either a car or home stereo system. -- Wired Article (http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,47740,00.html)

iPod, a portable hard drive for music that will feature a firewire connection for extra-fast data transfer. - HitsDailyDouble (http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi)

Apple apparently is not planning to introduce a portable MP3 player, but something more sophisticated such as a component for a home digital stereo system - CNet (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-7558694.html)

Per MacOS Rumors (http://www.macosrumors.com), the device may utilize a combination of acquired/dormant technologies including Raycer Graphic's GPUs, InkWell (hwr recognition), and/or Gigawire. As well, integrating the work of the iTunes and Quicktime teams.

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 03:04 AM
I want a NEWTON!! PLEASE!!!

Guy

gandalf55
Oct 22, 2001, 05:57 AM
how about a Newton running NOSX (made up mini-OSX) which runs iTunes?

ElGreco
Oct 22, 2001, 06:20 AM
I would love to get a post-Newton-PDA that connects wirelessly via an airport base station, features MP3 playback, works as a digital camera, has a mobile phone built in and so on...

The supercomputer miniturized!!!

I cannot wait to see it with my own eyes tomorrow on http://www.apple.com!!!

Later,
Greco

fallt
Oct 22, 2001, 06:52 AM
This device may or may not be an 'iPod', but the word 'iPod' has definitely been registered within the last week or two. A look at the trademark details revealed at ATMOSS (Australian Trade Mark Online Search System) might shed some light on what this 'iThing' is.

A few key words from the trademark list: "electronic handheld devices for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data, particularly messages, and devices that enable the user to keep track of or manage personal information; character recognition software; apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds; telephones..."

The list goes on and on (and on) and some of the elements in the list make for interesting reading/thinking. Yes, perhaps we've seen all these things before, but AS SEPARATE DEVICES. Apple's strength lies in revisiting previously bungled concepts and wrapping them up in a package that not only works, but is easy to use.

Imagine a PDA that connects wirelessly to your lap/desktop and is always synch'ing between the two so that both machines remain synchronised, it does all of this wirelessly and intelligently.

It is essentially an easy-to-carry extension of your main hub/computer, i.e. the computer is the hub, not this new device. This device is an extension of your data-hub that allows you to be un-tethered from a sill-fairly-heavy-to-carry-around laptop.

It is a phone, a PDA, an .mp3 player, a data-hub all rolled into one. It's the 'rolling into one' bit that is the breakthrough/groundbreaking bit.

Consider this scenario: Every morning I pack my bag to go to work, into it I put: a G3 laptop, a Palm, a CD player, a mobile phone and a few magazines, etc. It is HEAVY and everything RUNS OUT OF BATTERIES all the time because I can never remember what needs re-charged. I get on the bus and I can't decide: do I want to work on my laptop, read the news on my Palm or just listen to my stereo?

Now consider this alternative scenario: Every morning I pack my bag to go to work, into it I put: one iPod. It has everything on it, it is LIGHT and it DOESN'T RUN OUT OF BATTERIES all the time because I can manage to get my brain to remember to recharge it (and only it) every night.

I'd buy this, no question. If only to save my poor brain from the nightmare of packing my bag every morning.

Trademark details follow to save you looking at the above link...

::::..::::::::..::....::::::::..::::

ATMOSS - Australian Trade Mark Online Search System

Word: IPOD

Lodgement Date: 02-OCT-2001

Class/es: 9, 28, 38 <- This bit gives you context for what 'it' is... (see below).

Owner/s:
Apple Computer, Inc
1 Infinite Loop,
MS : 3TM, Cupertino,
California 95014
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Goods & Services

Class: 09
Computers, computer hardware, computer peripherals, hand held computers, personal digital assistants, electronic organisers, electronic notepads, apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or other data; magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices, telephones, computer gaming machines, microprocessors, memories boards, monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, disk drives, cameras; computer software, prerecorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, character recognition software, telephony management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases, computer software and firmware, namely operating system programs, data synchronization programs, and application development tool programs for personal and handheld computers; electronic handheld devices for the wireless receipt and/or transmission of data, particularly messages, and devices that enable the user to keep track of or manage personal information; software for the redirection of messages, Internet e-mail, and/or other data to one or more electronic handheld devices from a data store on or associated with a personal computer or a server; and software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device; computer hardware and peripherals

Class: 28
Games and playthings, namely, electronic games, hand-held electronic games and apparatus

Class: 38
Communication and telecommunication services, providing access to web sites on the Internet: delivery of digital music by telecommunications, providing wireless telecommunications via electronic communications networks, wireless digital messaging, paging services, and electronic mail services, including services that enable a user to send and/or receive messages through a wireless data network; one-way and two-way paging services...

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 07:28 AM
From the information I reacon we are going to see somekind of a "PDA"

JUST NAME IT NEWTON!!! PLEASE!!!

Guy

gandalf55
Oct 22, 2001, 07:35 AM
Handspring announced the "Treo" to compete with the Blackberry. I almost thought this would be my purchase to replace my cell phone & Visor Platinum.

If Apple releases anything like this, I know where my money is going. Thank God they may release soon as I was about to drop $400 on the Treo.

Apple, oh Apple, shake the world tomorrow!!

Macosrumors reports:

According to reliable Infinite Loop sources, Apple's groundbreaking new Digital Hub device will employ at least two of Apple's most secret technology projects that we have speculated on for some time. Notably, Apple's purchase last year of Raycer Graphics, a company that creates GPUs (Graphics Processor Units) for embedded and handheld applications is apparently key to this and several other of Apple's forthcoming Digital Hub devices. Low-cost, low-power graphics for this device will reportedly be provided by a GPU unit that may be embedded within a larger System-On-A-Chip architecture that will be at the core of the device we're expecting on Tuesday as well as future Digital Hub products from Apple.

Additionally, Apple has been working on handwriting recognition/pen-input technology called InkWell and a new, high-performance version of Firewire (IEEE 1394b) that will be called Gigawire. Neither of these latter technologies is confirmed to be employed in the device we'll be seeing on Tuesday, but both are key to the Digital Hub strategy and will be heard much more about in the not-so-distant future.

=========
Damn, I am so excited about this. If it's even 1/2 of what we think... Apple is about to get a big infuse of $$$. And I'll be among the first to run to the Apple Store and slap down the plastic!

ipiloot
Oct 22, 2001, 08:07 AM
Considering:

1. Apple still has the best operating system for handhelds (NOS)
2. Apple still has the best HWR
3. Steve Jobs is always liked Sony which gained the required momentum to be a giant selling walkmans.
4. Current handhelds are ill-to-use and need a better screen (which is not possible in the frames of current size-factor) and better HWR (Apple has one)
5. Current wearables are ill devices, trying to be the handheld and the PC at the same time.

I'll bet on wearable computer, that has:
1. one-eye gogge, one can see through.
2. Eye-movement recognising input for surfing and reading (as some Canon cameras have)
3. Text input as normal PDA-s
4. some kind of the low-powered Airport connection
5. expandability
6. simulates palmOS if needed

Not Me
Oct 22, 2001, 08:47 AM
I read on another board that Apple was making a PS2 emulator. Maybee it is a portable wireless PS2 emulator....that is a cell phone....and a PDA.....and an MP3 player....with handwriting recognition....with a base station that is the cube.

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 09:02 AM
Hi

I have just been told my Cancom UK (prev MacZone) that it would be useful for me at home, but no use to me at work. :(

I WANNA A PDA CALLED A NEWTON!!!

Guy

fallt
Oct 22, 2001, 09:25 AM
I'm looking again at the trademark overview/list above and the following looks extremely compelling:

"...software for the redirection of messages, Internet e-mail, and/or other data to one or more electronic handheld devices from a data store on or associated with a personal computer or a server; and software for the synchronization of data between a remote station or device and a fixed or remote station or device..."

The concept that your existing computer is your hub and that this (or some soon-to-be-revealed) device uses a combination of push/pull via AirPort to keep things synchronised is extremely compelling, but exists already - to a degree - with the current Mac/Palm set up. The question is: what more will this offer?

Perhaps it's an expanded-but-still-portable PDA? Imagine a device that allows you to surf the web/listen to music/write emails/etc. from you lounge while your TiBook re-charges in the dining room/studio.

Airport is compelling precisely because it renders your (T)iBook wireless, but how often has anyone been working happily away in the lounge when the following dreaded alert hits:

"Your PowerBook is running low on batteries, you have 10 seconds before you need to abandon wireless working and plug a power lead in or lose all your work..."

That's hardly working wirelessly, so - thinking differently - what's the solution to this problem...

jon2620
Oct 22, 2001, 09:27 AM
it's not mp3. it could include a tivo like recorder. it could be portable. it's kinda revolutionary. hmmmm.

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 09:33 AM
By that do you mean its not an MP3 Player??

I think it is either an MP3 Player or a PDA/Mp3 Player.

Thanks,

Guy

Classic
Oct 22, 2001, 10:09 AM
Imagine for a minute, that like Arn siad, It's a set-top box connectected to a component stereo and TV that plays MP3s stored on your computer through the stereo, while broadcasting iTunes visualizations on your TV. Could this device also receive and broadcast dvd's that are played on your computer? I'm not sure what data transfer rates are required to move dvd signals.

If it's wireless, I think Apple will definately release Airport 2. The existing is just too slow. Also, it has a measely encryption and is not secure at all. A friend recently purchased an iBook with an Airport card. The airport card was a new one with 128 bit encryption. To my knowledge, the old ones weren't like that, and the current bases don't have 128 bit encryption in them.

Any thoughts?

ipiloot
Oct 22, 2001, 10:45 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990423.hnappsid.htm

fallt
Oct 22, 2001, 10:58 AM
I'm surprised no one else has commented on the mass of information at the iPod trademark page in Australia (encapsulated above).

This is information that can't be faked; you just can't slip a trademark application in somehow and, more importantly, applying for and maintaining a trademark isn't exactly the cheapest process in the world.

There are a whole array of (product) avenues here which are much, much more than a straight up .mp3 player - set-top or otherwise. Doesn't that catch anyone else's attention?

bomega
Oct 22, 2001, 12:03 PM
Hello all,

My first post to this forum.

It might be old news but here we go: try macmate.com in your browser. It points to apple.com and might be relevant. I looked up the registration info:

Record last updated on 22-Feb-2001.
Record expires on 24-Nov-2001.
Record created on 24-Nov-1998.

Not very new. Well, it might be nothing...

What would be the best place to hear the news first? Apple news would be good but isn't there a live feed or other site that reacts faster? Which site should I visit and reload 10 times a minute to get the news first?

Bye, Boris

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 03:19 PM
I advise you to use Apple.com/hotnews, pressing Refresh is quite quick.

If you goto:

http://www.brooklineuk.com/appleupdate/

it is basicly a frame for apple.com/hotnews, but it updates every 20 seconds.

Any use?

Thanks,

Guy Wickenden

Gelfin
Oct 22, 2001, 03:22 PM
I'm seriously skeptical of the idea that it will be a handheld. One reason I've heard that we might never see an Apple handheld, and will almost certainly never see one called "Newton" is that the Newton was Dr. Gil's baby, and Steve therefore has no interest.

However, I really think that, if nothing else, Apple should take note of the HUGE amount of Newton-related speculation. Whenever Apple mentions a new mystery product, practically everybody leaps out of their chair, screaming, "IS IT A NEWTON???" That in itself should tell them something.

There is, unfortunately, an immense technical and logistical hurdle involved in providing the functionality of a MessagePad in the form factor of a Palm (which has become a de facto size standard -- people won't accept bigger), particularly at a price people can afford (which was one of the biggest problems with the Newton).

I want my shiny new color MessagePad (in Titanium, perhaps!) as much as anyone... but I don't think it's happening tomorrow.

gandalf55
Oct 22, 2001, 03:39 PM
thoughts:

could this new hardware be a junction between the internet & a portable mp3 player using iTunes somehow (in the base unit)?

internet == > airport ==> iPod ==> mp3 player

You simply sync at will within the airport network? Use an iTunes radio station & listen all day on your mp3 player?

seems feasible, but not that earth-shattering. maybe that's the problem. we ALL want a Newtonian device... but perhaps the time isn't ready (the market for normal PDAs sucks - and the profit margin for Handspring and Palm is like $0.50 per item.)

pdcorlis
Oct 22, 2001, 04:02 PM
Has http://www.newton.com always pointed at the main Apple site?

Newton-Man
Oct 22, 2001, 04:36 PM
Since about the beginning of the newton, newton.com has pointed to apple.com.

It was last updated in Janurary.

Thanks,
Guy

pdcorlis
Oct 22, 2001, 05:30 PM
Shows you how much I've been paying attention... must be a case of wishful thinking!

Thanks!
PDC

Oct 22, 2001, 06:12 PM
http://www.geocities.com/leobairn/Special_Report.html

"Coming this Tuesday: Component for stereo systems. Connects to stereo as would a CD player. Mac owners use iTunes to purchase music and/or download music for free. The Mac wirelessly sends the downloaded music to the stereo component using Airport. This leverages the following Mac-specific technology: Airport, iTunes, QuickTime, iDisk infrastructure, Mac OS. Ties in to affluent and thriving marketplace of music enthusiasts, home theatre hobbyists, and traditional "Mac Faithful"."

i think this is a little more reasonable a rumor... but he is staking his reputation on his word! :)

hir
Oct 22, 2001, 07:25 PM
Sorry guys, this new apple product will not be a handheld or anything portable. It is essentially a tivo with a superdrive that runs a special variation of iMovie and cd/dvd burner.

i'm only writing this because the release is tomorrow and i'm hoping this leak won't be as serious in the eyes of apple legal or mr. jobs himself. that's about all i'm willing to say right now. we'll all see tomorrow for sure anyway.

bjmorgan
Oct 22, 2001, 07:33 PM
A PDA device that uses Airport wireless where you can network to your Mac remotely (like say from on the toilet), send e-mail, etc - and would eventually control home appliance components (i.e. stereo, television, lights). That would be fun.

Gelfin
Oct 22, 2001, 08:27 PM
I already have a device that lets me network from the toilet. It's called a Powerbook. :)

DaveGee
Oct 22, 2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by hir
i'm only writing this because the release is tomorrow and i'm hoping this leak won't be as serious in the eyes of apple legal or mr. jobs himself. that's about all i'm willing to say right now. we'll all see tomorrow for sure anyway.

Well my real name is Steven P. Jobs and you will hear from my lawyers... Funny I'm betting nobody will believe me either. ;)

Mr. Jobs... err Dave

lucs
Oct 22, 2001, 11:03 PM
WHAT TIME IS THE PRESS CONFERENCE???? I CAN BARELY WAIT FOR THE ANNOUNCEMENTS TOMORROW!!!!

gosh...Apple has been doing modest modifications in its line for such a long time that I think January is going to be a revolution....imagine all the cool stuff piling up for one big expo...I would bet all my money on january...

sdfdsfsdfsdfdsf
Oct 23, 2001, 01:09 AM
10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern. It's likely to go on for an hour or so before anything exciting happens.

Newton-Man
Oct 23, 2001, 05:45 AM
CANCONUK say that the new "DEVICE" is going to be available in December, and will be not much use to business but alot of fun for home users!!!
CANT WAIT ONLY 3 HOURS!!!

Guy

bomega
Oct 23, 2001, 06:42 AM
On this page:

http://www.spymac.com/

is a picture and some more details. Not sure how reliable this report or site is...

Boris

jefhatfield
Oct 23, 2001, 12:00 PM
as i mentioned before, this is the best kept secret i have seen from apple which has been so full of leaks on other products, they could have cured the water shortage we have where i live

if it is the iPod, then maybe the secret was no so secret

Newton-Man
Oct 23, 2001, 12:03 PM
This no way the replacement, for a start when opened the Apple would be round the wrong way (Apple disbanded this with the PBG4 and New iBook) Also there is a Dell Sign and a Packet of Fags, Cigarettes are banned on Apple Campus. Also, it is an old style keyboard. I don't think anyone at Apple would still use one of these!!!

Apple are as tight on security of this product as ever, if they had not have meantions that it was not a Mac most people would have not even bothered speculating.

Thanks,
Guy Wickenden