PDA

View Full Version : Web Conferencing Services For MaC OS X

MacBytes
May 29, 2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Web Conferencing Services For MaC OS X (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080529231047)
Description:: When it comes to web conferencing, whether video or audio, you need a service that works as well on Mac OS X as it does with Windows and Linux. In light of strong sales figures from Apple it is now more important than ever that your choice of conferencing solution will work with OS X in what is quickly becoming a world less dominated by Windows.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Trip.Tucker
May 29, 2008, 10:17 PM
MeetingPlace? Tsk tsk Cisco :p

hankolerd
May 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
Cisco...I work for Cisco. I just used MeetingPlace for the first time last week.:apple:

Trip.Tucker
May 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
Cisco...I work for Cisco. I just used MeetingPlace for the first time last week.:apple:

On OS X? If so, it may be our setup that is causing us issues.

zeronett
May 31, 2008, 04:55 PM
I am a Cisco employee as well and can also confirm that both Meetingplace and Webex are compatible with OS X. Now I do some issues sometimes with Meetingplace v5 not being able to join, but never have issues with Meetingplace v6. I actually use Webex exclusively now and it works flawlessly even able to use my built-in iSight for video.

Peace
May 31, 2008, 05:05 PM
$40 a month ? . No thanks. iChat works fine and it's free.

zeronett
Jun 1, 2008, 10:30 AM
$40 a month ? . No thanks. iChat works fine and it's free.

Peace - Wasn't trying to sell it. He was asking about support for Meetingplace and OS X and since Webex is another conferencing product by Cisco I let him know that it has support also.

On top of that. iChat and Webex are two totally different solutions. There is a reason Webex is $40/month and iChat is free. Webex is for the business user and offers many more features that a business would be interested in verses a home user. You are right that iChat would works just fine for you, but you are using it as a home user.

roneill
Jun 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks a ton for mentioning Glance! I work for Glance Networks and I'm glad word is getting out about our product; we have a huge following with Mac users.. I know you guys often get the short end of the stick when it comes to functionality so we're proud to offer a product that works in Mac OS X. I hope you use Glance and love it!

rhett7660
Jun 2, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cisco works, but the only thing that really brings it down in my book is the price. One of the company's I deal with is a "Cisco House" company and the price is freaking outlandish. Cisco works, but be prepared to spill out a nice chunk of change.

Kilamite
Jun 2, 2008, 01:16 PM
On top of that. iChat and Webex are two totally different solutions. There is a reason Webex is $40/month and iChat is free. Webex is for the business user and offers many more features that a business would be interested in verses a home user. You are right that iChat would works just fine for you, but you are using it as a home user.

Can you elaborate on what Webex will do that iChat doesn't, since you name Webex the "business" alternative.

zeronett
Jun 3, 2008, 03:33 PM
Can you elaborate on what Webex will do that iChat doesn't, since you name Webex the "business" alternative.

The big difference between the two is scalability. iChat is limited to 4 users in a conference if the bandwidth and the host machine has enough cpu power. With Webex this is a hosted solution and can scale to hundredes of users in meeting at a time. It is also possible to record your meetings with Webex and I don't believe that is possible with iChat.

There are probably more differences, but I am not an iChat user. Now as for the price, I wouldn't expect any home user to actually go out and purchase Webex or anyone that doesn't need more than 4 people into a conference and all Mac environment.