Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blubox

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Earth
Do you there is going to be a new Mac Mini coming out soon? Maybe one in June?

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Do you there is going to be a new Mac Mini coming out soon? Maybe one in June?

My two cents are that if we don't get an upgrade on the 9th, then I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until August (if the mini isn't discontinued by then). Sorry to be so pessimistic, but Apple has really treated this wonderful little machine and all its users quite badly

GrouchoDuke

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
It'd be nice to see an update, but there haven't been any rumors of them since before the new iMacs came out. It's been a long time since the mini's been updated. I'm planning on an Apple Store visit tomorrow to take a look at one.

Cross your fingers for a new mini. :D

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
I have no idea what's going on with the Mini. I don't see any reason what so ever why Apple couldn't have given it an update by now : Penryn Core 2, Wireless N and the GMA X3100 - all have been available for a LONG time.

I'm beginning to think it's going to be discontinued.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I would like:
2.4ghz/2.66ghz Penryn Core 2 Duo + Montevina Platform
Upto 4gb RAM
X4500 graphics (or even better a 2600 pro option)
Desktop Hard Drive
Wireless N
All modeled in the style of the time capsule or Apple TV, except bigger obviously.

Rod76

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
I would like:
2.4ghz/2.66ghz Penryn Core 2 Duo + Montevina Platform
Upto 4gb RAM
X4500 graphics (or even better a 2600 pro option)
Desktop Hard Drive
Wireless N
All modeled in the style of the time capsule or Apple TV, except bigger obviously.

I'd take that in a heart beat.

Which brings me to a very old Apple complaint where (in my belief) they sabotage the upgradability of lower end products to drive buyers into the higher end machines. I don't want a Mac Pro, its freaking overkill (plus its hot as hell and consumes way more power than I could ever justify myself using). I just need an upgradable Mac with a real GPU and more than 2GB of RAM as an option. I don't want an iMac (I've already got an Apple Cinema Display) so why are you forcing me to buy a Mac Pro?

If the afore mentioned "wish" machine appeared, I'd be beside myself, and making a bee line for an Apple Store, while my CC burned a hole in my pocket. Why won't Apple give us some breathing room in a non "Pro" machine. The Mac Pro is for studios/production houses and to be perfectly honest, it's really more "Super Computer" than desktop or even workstation for that matter.

Come on Apple, I've already got a 23inch Cinema Display, make a Mac Pro Mini already. I don't need a Xeon CPU/CPU's or up to 32GB of memory with multiple HD bays. Just a simple single 2.5inch (and for pete's sake a 7200 RPM drive option) or 3.5inch HD, a 2.4 or 2.6 Penryn CPU with a PCI Express slot for dedicated video and enough memory slots for at least 4GB of RAM, please...

If this WWDC comes and goes and the Mini is not updated or replaced by something a little more upgradable or at the very least current. I'll be forced to build a Hackintosh, which I was really hoping to avoid.

I know Apple employees read these boards, someone be a hero or heroine and speak up about this gaping hole in the product lineup!

GrouchoDuke

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
lets see how long this thread lasts. lol.
anoooother mini thread? meh, gotta love em.
Love mini refresh threads! I'm so sick of waiting I almost picked one up today. Gonna wait to see what happens at WWDC. I'm not expecting a new mini, but ya never know. (someone from the Apple mini department: feel free to PM me here to let me know if I should wait for a new mini ;))

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
No need to dream, look at the past! I used to own a Mini back when it used the dedicated Radeon 9200 graphics. There is no reason at all they can not or should not use dedicated graphics.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
No need to dream, look at the past! I used to own a Mini back when it used the dedicated Radeon 9200 graphics. There is no reason at all they can not or should not use dedicated graphics.

As integrated graphics improve, Intel is moving toward applying it more, not less.

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Remember Apple's G4 Mini Graphics page?

Go ahead, just try to play Halo on a budget PC. Most say they’re good for 2D games only. That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM. You’d have to buy an extra card to get the graphics performance of Mac mini, and some cheaper PCs don’t even have an open slot to let you add one.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Remember Apple's G4 Mini Graphics page?.....That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM.

That was before Apple got in to bed with intel. Of course they are going to say it's crap. What's on board the mini now is probably as good as the old 9200 chipset anyway.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
My wishlist:
- up to 4GB RAM
- X4500
- 3.5" drive*
- Dual-Layer DVD burner standard (no more combo drive**)
- 802.11n***
- Time Capsule/:apple:TV form-factor, but taller (I like the style, no need to radically change it) :D

* 3.5" drives are faster, bigger in capacity and a lot cheaper per GB than 2.5" drives.

** I'm going to guess that the cost difference between the superdrive and combodrive is really small these days, not to mention that Apple is buying combodrives for only two products: low-end Mac mini and low-end MacBook. Upgrade both to superdrive and get an even bigger volume discount from the manufacturer(s).

*** This should be a given, I think it's the only Apple product without it right now (aside from the Mac Pro)

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I think you'll see an updated Mini in August with:

- 120GB HDD standard. 160GB HDD in the premium model. Up to 250GB.
- 2GB RAM standard. Up to 4GB.
- 2.1GHZ or 2.4GHZ C2D processor, with 3MB and 6MB L2 cache.
- Standard Super drive.
- GMA X3100

Most of those options are similar to the Macbook, but that's pretty much been Apple's strategy. They always give the Mac Mini the same features as the Macbook at the time, but recently they've been forgetting about it. I waited since February for a Mac Mini, until late April when I finally said @#$% it, I don't care if a new one comes, this will be fine for me. It's definitely a great machine, and OS X is a true marvel for me as a switcher, but my main concern with my current Mini is that the HDD space is too small and the RAM is limited to 3.3GB(unsupported).

blubox

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Earth
I can't wait that long! :(

I'll wait until WWDC is over. I've been waiting too long. lol

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Today's Mini is really pretty great so long as you aren't a gamer or doing 3D modeling. Not much other software really draws on the GPU.

Rod76

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
Today's Mini is really pretty great so long as you aren't a gamer or doing 3D modeling. Not much other software really draws on the GPU.

Quartz Extreme relies heavily on it, as does modern video codec playback, just check out the difference between watching H.264 content from the first MBP to the Latest. You'll see quickly that the video card is doing the work were-as the CPU used to have to do all the heavy lifting.

The GPU is becoming a critical component for people other than gamers. I don't need a 9800 X2 or anything in the realm of hard core gamer, but an 8800 or even an 8600 (regular consumer grade version) makes a huge difference in the OS X experience today.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
[An 8800 or even an 8600 (regular consumer grade version) makes a huge difference in the OS X experience today.
In what way? Watching video is really smooth for me on the mini, and all the applications run flawlessly. Obviously I've never tried a game, but the OS X experience to me is pretty damn awesome. Don't really see how a video card could enhance the experience, asides from watching 1080P video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.