PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Mini Soon?

blubox
May 30, 2008, 12:07 AM
Do you there is going to be a new Mac Mini coming out soon? Maybe one in June?

Kashchei
May 30, 2008, 12:35 AM
Do you there is going to be a new Mac Mini coming out soon? Maybe one in June?

My two cents are that if we don't get an upgrade on the 9th, then I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait until August (if the mini isn't discontinued by then). Sorry to be so pessimistic, but Apple has really treated this wonderful little machine and all its users quite badly

blubox
May 30, 2008, 12:56 AM
it doesnt seen too popular. i think i'll get one before it leaves me.

GrouchoDuke
May 30, 2008, 01:02 AM
It'd be nice to see an update, but there haven't been any rumors of them since before the new iMacs came out. It's been a long time since the mini's been updated. I'm planning on an Apple Store visit tomorrow to take a look at one.

Cross your fingers for a new mini. :D

MacSA
May 30, 2008, 03:40 AM
I have no idea what's going on with the Mini. I don't see any reason what so ever why Apple couldn't have given it an update by now : Penryn Core 2, Wireless N and the GMA X3100 - all have been available for a LONG time.

I'm beginning to think it's going to be discontinued.

blubox
May 30, 2008, 04:17 PM
maybe they will reveal an upgraded one during WWDC?

GrouchoDuke
May 30, 2008, 06:09 PM
maybe they will reveal an upgraded one during WWDC?That's what I've been dreaming for. We'll see...less than 2 weeks away.

nick9191
May 30, 2008, 06:17 PM
I would like:
2.4ghz/2.66ghz Penryn Core 2 Duo + Montevina Platform
Upto 4gb RAM
X4500 graphics (or even better a 2600 pro option)
Desktop Hard Drive
Wireless N
All modeled in the style of the time capsule or Apple TV, except bigger obviously.

Rod76
May 31, 2008, 12:14 AM
I would like:
2.4ghz/2.66ghz Penryn Core 2 Duo + Montevina Platform
Upto 4gb RAM
X4500 graphics (or even better a 2600 pro option)
Desktop Hard Drive
Wireless N
All modeled in the style of the time capsule or Apple TV, except bigger obviously.

I'd take that in a heart beat.

Which brings me to a very old Apple complaint where (in my belief) they sabotage the upgradability of lower end products to drive buyers into the higher end machines. I don't want a Mac Pro, its freaking overkill (plus its hot as hell and consumes way more power than I could ever justify myself using). I just need an upgradable Mac with a real GPU and more than 2GB of RAM as an option. I don't want an iMac (I've already got an Apple Cinema Display) so why are you forcing me to buy a Mac Pro?

If the afore mentioned "wish" machine appeared, I'd be beside myself, and making a bee line for an Apple Store, while my CC burned a hole in my pocket. Why won't Apple give us some breathing room in a non "Pro" machine. The Mac Pro is for studios/production houses and to be perfectly honest, it's really more "Super Computer" than desktop or even workstation for that matter.

Come on Apple, I've already got a 23inch Cinema Display, make a Mac Pro Mini already. I don't need a Xeon CPU/CPU's or up to 32GB of memory with multiple HD bays. Just a simple single 2.5inch (and for pete's sake a 7200 RPM drive option) or 3.5inch HD, a 2.4 or 2.6 Penryn CPU with a PCI Express slot for dedicated video and enough memory slots for at least 4GB of RAM, please...

If this WWDC comes and goes and the Mini is not updated or replaced by something a little more upgradable or at the very least current. I'll be forced to build a Hackintosh, which I was really hoping to avoid.

I know Apple employees read these boards, someone be a hero or heroine and speak up about this gaping hole in the product lineup!

xxjuicymintxx
May 31, 2008, 12:22 AM
lets see how long this thread lasts. lol.
anoooother mini thread? meh, gotta love em.

GrouchoDuke
May 31, 2008, 12:49 AM
lets see how long this thread lasts. lol.
anoooother mini thread? meh, gotta love em.Love mini refresh threads! I'm so sick of waiting I almost picked one up today. Gonna wait to see what happens at WWDC. I'm not expecting a new mini, but ya never know. (someone from the Apple mini department: feel free to PM me here to let me know if I should wait for a new mini ;))

Lord Zedd
May 31, 2008, 05:18 AM
I would take ANY configuration as long as it does not have that "integrated graphics" crap!

netdog
May 31, 2008, 05:56 AM
I would take ANY configuration as long as it does not have that "integrated graphics" crap!

Dream on Zedd.

Lord Zedd
May 31, 2008, 05:58 AM
No need to dream, look at the past! I used to own a Mini back when it used the dedicated Radeon 9200 graphics. There is no reason at all they can not or should not use dedicated graphics.

netdog
May 31, 2008, 06:00 AM
No need to dream, look at the past! I used to own a Mini back when it used the dedicated Radeon 9200 graphics. There is no reason at all they can not or should not use dedicated graphics.

As integrated graphics improve, Intel is moving toward applying it more, not less.

Lord Zedd
May 31, 2008, 06:02 AM
Remember Apple's G4 Mini Graphics page?

Go ahead, just try to play Halo on a budget PC. Most say they’re good for 2D games only. That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM. You’d have to buy an extra card to get the graphics performance of Mac mini, and some cheaper PCs don’t even have an open slot to let you add one.

Kebabselector
May 31, 2008, 08:03 AM
Remember Apple's G4 Mini Graphics page?.....That’s because an “integrated Intel graphics” chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM.

That was before Apple got in to bed with intel. Of course they are going to say it's crap. What's on board the mini now is probably as good as the old 9200 chipset anyway.

Yvan256
May 31, 2008, 08:22 AM
My wishlist:
- up to 4GB RAM
- X4500
- 3.5" drive*
- Dual-Layer DVD burner standard (no more combo drive**)
- 802.11n***
- Time Capsule/:apple:TV form-factor, but taller (I like the style, no need to radically change it) :D

* 3.5" drives are faster, bigger in capacity and a lot cheaper per GB than 2.5" drives.

** I'm going to guess that the cost difference between the superdrive and combodrive is really small these days, not to mention that Apple is buying combodrives for only two products: low-end Mac mini and low-end MacBook. Upgrade both to superdrive and get an even bigger volume discount from the manufacturer(s).

*** This should be a given, I think it's the only Apple product without it right now (aside from the Mac Pro)

aaquib
May 31, 2008, 10:09 AM
I think you'll see an updated Mini in August with:

- 120GB HDD standard. 160GB HDD in the premium model. Up to 250GB.
- 2GB RAM standard. Up to 4GB.
- 2.1GHZ or 2.4GHZ C2D processor, with 3MB and 6MB L2 cache.
- Standard Super drive.
- GMA X3100

Most of those options are similar to the Macbook, but that's pretty much been Apple's strategy. They always give the Mac Mini the same features as the Macbook at the time, but recently they've been forgetting about it. I waited since February for a Mac Mini, until late April when I finally said @#$% it, I don't care if a new one comes, this will be fine for me. It's definitely a great machine, and OS X is a true marvel for me as a switcher, but my main concern with my current Mini is that the HDD space is too small and the RAM is limited to 3.3GB(unsupported).

blubox
May 31, 2008, 01:59 PM
I can't wait that long! :(

I'll wait until WWDC is over. I've been waiting too long. lol

GrouchoDuke
May 31, 2008, 04:14 PM
I can't wait that long! :( Same. Gonna quit my complaining soon & buy something.

xxjuicymintxx
May 31, 2008, 05:01 PM
I don't think how much Apple realizes how many people would LOVE a mini refresh.

I know I would.

netdog
May 31, 2008, 05:05 PM
Today's Mini is really pretty great so long as you aren't a gamer or doing 3D modeling. Not much other software really draws on the GPU.

Rod76
May 31, 2008, 07:42 PM
Today's Mini is really pretty great so long as you aren't a gamer or doing 3D modeling. Not much other software really draws on the GPU.

Quartz Extreme relies heavily on it, as does modern video codec playback, just check out the difference between watching H.264 content from the first MBP to the Latest. You'll see quickly that the video card is doing the work were-as the CPU used to have to do all the heavy lifting.

The GPU is becoming a critical component for people other than gamers. I don't need a 9800 X2 or anything in the realm of hard core gamer, but an 8800 or even an 8600 (regular consumer grade version) makes a huge difference in the OS X experience today.

aaquib
May 31, 2008, 08:13 PM
[An 8800 or even an 8600 (regular consumer grade version) makes a huge difference in the OS X experience today.
In what way? Watching video is really smooth for me on the mini, and all the applications run flawlessly. Obviously I've never tried a game, but the OS X experience to me is pretty damn awesome. Don't really see how a video card could enhance the experience, asides from watching 1080P video.

rillo
Jun 2, 2008, 09:57 AM
I really hope they upgrade, I've been wanting one for awhile now. I've got my money ready, they better not discontinue it!

blubox
Jun 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
I hope 2GB of RAM becomes standard.

rdhazrd
Jun 4, 2008, 06:27 AM
If this WWDC comes and goes and the Mini is not updated or replaced by something a little more upgradable or at the very least current. I'll be forced to build a Hackintosh, which I was really hoping to avoid.

I gave up on waiting, sold my month old mini and my new parts will be here tomorrow. I don't feel bad about it either, I've used Macs since 86, I've bought every OS since then. I bought Tiger 5 or 6 times. I bought Leopard retail, and bought machines that came with it. As far as I'm concerned, I've paid my dues, I've waited long enough. I don't need a Mac Pro, a mini is fine, but I need to expand it a little.

PaulexPC
Jun 4, 2008, 11:51 AM
Ok, I have been on the fence waiting to switch from PC to Mac for a few months. This is my first post. After reading the rumors I think I should wait a month or three till they give the mini some improvement. (hopefully before August).

The main reason I am ready to switch is that after 20 years of being a Microsoft user they are just getting too annoying.

I bought an old iMac lamp G4 for my wife and we both love it running Tiger, even though it's sort of slow. I am very keen to make the switch now. I love the form factor of a tiny desktop because I don't necessarily upgrade my computer and display at the same time. Don't like the iMac for the same reason I don't have a TV with an integrated DVD player, when one items breaks the whole system is down.

What would really make me excited is if they were to make the mini slightly taller, more like the old cube. And of course if they'd give it a second video output.

This one is PERFECT.
http://macprocube.com/images/g5cube.jpg

Rod76
Jun 6, 2008, 10:17 AM
This one is PERFECT.
http://macprocube.com/images/g5cube.jpg

I couldn't agree more! However I really don't see that happening. From my years of looking at how Apple sets up its hardware, they would take such a machine as a direct competitor to the Mac Pro. And to be honest, I agree, that machine would probably decimate Mac Pro sales. Unless of course it was restricted to non Xeon CPU's (plus various other hardware limitations) than it would decimate iMac sales. Anyway you slice it, that dream machine will never exist (outside of building your own).

The more I think about it from a business perspective, the more I understand Apple's position. That of course doesn't mean the consumer in me has to like it.

I can dream though. In the end I'll probably just end up with a Mini (to bad for Apple, that machine you have there would have me spending considerably more, their loss I guess).

Cave Man
Jun 6, 2008, 11:56 AM
Quartz Extreme relies heavily on it, as does modern video codec playback, just check out the difference between watching H.264 content from the first MBP to the Latest. You'll see quickly that the video card is doing the work were-as the CPU used to have to do all the heavy lifting.

The GMAs don't have H.264 acceleration, only MPEG-2. In Minis and MacBooks, such decoding is done by the cpu, not the gpu.

rhett7660
Jun 6, 2008, 12:05 PM
This one is PERFECT.

That one is hot.....

PaulexPC
Jun 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh yeah, and since I don't mind making the unit a little taller, I'd love it if they put the darn power brick in the box.

Cheffy Dave
Jun 6, 2008, 04:33 PM
That's what I've been dreaming for. We'll see...less than 2 weeks away.

yeah,as in a lot less:rolleyes:;), like MONDAY!

Mollemand
Jun 6, 2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, I have been on the fence waiting to switch from PC to Mac for a few months. This is my first post. After reading the rumors I think I should wait a month or three till they give the mini some improvement. (hopefully before August).

The main reason I am ready to switch is that after 20 years of being a Microsoft user they are just getting too annoying.

I bought an old iMac lamp G4 for my wife and we both love it running Tiger, even though it's sort of slow. I am very keen to make the switch now. I love the form factor of a tiny desktop because I don't necessarily upgrade my computer and display at the same time. Don't like the iMac for the same reason I don't have a TV with an integrated DVD player, when one items breaks the whole system is down.

What would really make me excited is if they were to make the mini slightly taller, more like the old cube. And of course if they'd give it a second video output.

This one is PERFECT.

I totally agree with your reasoning and I myself was a fence sitter ontill last Monday, where I caved and bought an iMac.

There is certainly a big gab in the Mac desktop product-line where a MiniMac Pro would sit nicely. I would even want it to have the same power as the iMac - how ever unlikely that is to become.

If not a miniMac Pro then why not just a Mac (without the pro and the xeon renderfarm and 8 drivebays and the 4 gfx board option)? I would love to see a mac based upon the desktop "E" models of the C2D chip. (Also very unlikely to happen)

But then apple made the iMac with the 8800GS and that made it appetizing for my needs. And I must say that I am very happy with it.

Edit:
I did actually contemplate a hackintosh for quite a while, because I too wanted something right in the middle of the gab. I got put off the idea because I wanted the whole Apple experience, and found it too much bother to put together an OSx86 box on specs. That plus it is piracy - obviously.
/Edit

GrouchoDuke
Jun 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
yeah,as in a lot less:rolleyes:;), like MONDAY!Yup! Well, I caved & bought an iMac a week ago (lovin' it!). Hopefully we'll see a new mini next week - maybe I'll have to get one of those too!

rippyz
Jun 6, 2008, 10:14 PM
I'm anticipating a hardware update with the Mini, if not during the WWDC, then by August at the latest. I also think there will be an update to the case as well; a larger footprint with lower profile.

I'll be using a Mac Mini as my media hub, where it would house all of my media files (iTune), and also record TV shows through EyeTV. I'm also going to watch most of my TV shows online through Hulu, ABC, NBC, etc, via Safari (or Adobe Air-based apps when they become available). I know a lot of people are using Mac Minis as their media hub, and I believe more people will do the same in the near future, so I think it would be a good idea if Apple continues to offer the Mini.

MacSA
Jun 7, 2008, 03:34 AM
I totally agree with your reasoning and I myself was a fence sitter ontill last Monday, where I caved and bought an iMac.

And here's the probable reason why Apple haven't updated the Mini for so long. It wouldn't surprise me if many potential Mini buyers, tired of waiting for a better spec'd machine, simply went and bought the more expensive iMac.

Mollemand
Jun 7, 2008, 04:52 AM
And here's the probable reason why Apple haven't updated the Mini for so long. It wouldn't surprise me if many potential Mini buyers, tired of waiting for a better spec'd machine, simply went and bought the more expensive iMac.

Now that would just be plain evil!:eek:

To be honest, I think that Apple are at max in their dev department, and have had to prioritize what line to update. Large sales on the iMac compared to the Mac Mini has got something to do with their choice i hope. It's still sad though that there isn't a desktop-box mac choice to match the iMac.

gixxerfool
Jun 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
I just bought a Mini superdrive with the 2gb upgrade. When i went in to buy it they tried to sell me a 20" Imac. I almost went for it too but didn't want to spend THAT much more money. Little did I realize that they were that behind on the redevelopment of the mini, too bad but I still love the machine.

GF

Lord Zedd
Jun 7, 2008, 07:40 AM
they tried to sell me a 20" Imac. I almost went for it too but didn't want to spend THAT much more money.

Especially with a substandard display.

Tallest Skil
Jun 7, 2008, 07:42 AM

Oh, suck it up. If it sucks on ice so much, buy a 24" or buy something else.

gixxerfool
Jun 7, 2008, 11:20 AM

Whats the matter with the display? Am i missing something?

qtx43
Jun 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
And here's the probable reason why Apple haven't updated the Mini for so long. It wouldn't surprise me if many potential Mini buyers, tired of waiting for a better spec'd machine, simply went and bought the more expensive iMac.I'm in that category "tired of waiting". I'm using my G4 Mini (love it) for internet browsing and other light duty, and there's no way I will ever buy a computer with an integrated display. For various reasons, they're just not practical. Unless the Mini is updated soon, or they drop the price by at least $200 (I know, highly unlikely), then I will "simply" switch to Linux for my internet machine.

adrianjt
Jun 8, 2008, 06:47 PM
there has been refurb minis for several months @applestore.au last week there were none

i am predicting an imminent upgrade

ParishM
Jun 8, 2008, 08:03 PM
i love my mini ! it's the only Mac i have and have had that hasn't given me even 1 problem.

Ered
Jun 9, 2008, 11:05 AM
I picked up my Mini last month. I use it for my kids to play games and do homework. I might buy one for myself if they make a change to the video set up. Cross your fingers!!!!!!!

;)

nassau
Jun 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
please tell me there's a chance for a mac mini coming this week. or was this it, just the iphone 3G?

Tallest Skil
Jun 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
please tell me there's a chance for a mac mini coming this week. or was this it, just the iphone 3G?

That's it. Ha ha.

Lord Zedd
Jun 9, 2008, 02:04 PM
Not a snowball's chance in hell of a new Mini this week.

Bad Paper
Jun 9, 2008, 02:32 PM
No Mini today.

I say, "yay," because Intel releases its (delayed) Montevina platform next month. Today's lack of announcement points to a higher chance for a Montevina Mini by the end of July. That's fine by me!

nassau
Jun 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
i'm ready to strangle a goat if it would make apple release a new mini.... including anyone saying "if you need it, buy it now!".

:p

gazfocus
Jun 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
No Mini today.

I say, "yay," because Intel releases its (delayed) Montevina platform next month. Today's lack of announcement points to a higher chance for a Montevina Mini by the end of July. That's fine by me!

Hahaha you're funny....
1) The mini is ALWAYS behind every other Mac
2) The mini hasn't even got to Penryn yet
3) It's not gonna happen!

DHart
Jun 9, 2008, 03:42 PM
This morning Jobs said there are 3 parts to Apple now:

1) Mac

2) Music (iPod, iTunes)

3) iPhone

He specifically said that he will be talking about the iPhone this morning.

Perhaps that leaves the possibility that he could make a new Mac (mini?) announcement before the conference is over?

tMac85
Jun 9, 2008, 03:45 PM

1) Mac

2) Music (iPod, iTunes)

3) iPhone

He specifically said that he will be talking about the iPhone this morning.

Perhaps that leaves the possibility that he could make a new Mac (mini?) announcement before the conference is over?

its over.

MacHappytjg
Jun 9, 2008, 03:45 PM
WTF all they did was upgrade the ram in the macbook and **** and new 3g iphone atleast make a new macbook like god i was so excited for a mini upgrade or macbook alu but nothing very dissapointed

Mollemand
Jun 9, 2008, 05:00 PM
WTF all they did was upgrade the ram in the macbook and **** and new 3g iphone atleast make a new macbook like god i was so excited for a mini upgrade or macbook alu but nothing very dissapointed

Aye, it was a blast wasn't it? "boom"

Bad Paper
Jun 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
2) The mini hasn't even got to Penryn yetMontevina is Penryn. That was my point.

gunsandrosses
Jun 9, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and have never owned a mac, so bear with me. I am interested in putting a mac mini in my car and using it as a carputer. I've been planning on buying one (and starting my project for a while now). I've been waiting for today's conference to find out if were any plans for an upgraded system, but like all of you was very disappointed. I've read rumors online that when a new mac mini comes out it may be half the size and of a completely different design? Does anyone know if there is any truth to that and if there are any more upcoming conferences when something like this may be announced? I kept hearing in this thread people mention August a lot. Thank you for any insight you can provide.
-Ross

Lord Zedd
Jun 9, 2008, 09:01 PM
The mini is already about as small as it can get. They may be able to shave off 1/4"-1/2" if they compact everything, but as long as there is a hard drive and an optical drive it can't get much smaller.

Smaller parts exist (ultra slimline DVD drives and 1.8" hard drives) but it would only drive up the cost to use them.

qtx43
Jun 9, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and have never owned a mac, so bear with me. I am interested in putting a mac mini in my car and using it as a carputer. I've been planning on buying one (and starting my project for a while now). I've been waiting for today's conference to find out if were any plans for an upgraded system, but like all of you was very disappointed. I've read rumors online that when a new mac mini comes out it may be half the size and of a completely different design? Does anyone know if there is any truth to that and if there are any more upcoming conferences when something like this may be announced? I kept hearing in this thread people mention August a lot. Thank you for any insight you can provide.
-RossProblem is, nobody knows anything except Steve Jobs, and he's not talking. It's all speculation. Well, except for the half size thing, not going to happen. What we do know is that it's been a while since it's been updated, and currently it's overpriced for what you get. And the Mini has historically been the least powerful in the lineup, so it's unlikely to get upgraded to be quite as good as the lowest end MacBook or iMac. You can look at the "buyer's guides" tab at the top of the page, which is probably the best info there is, so it *should* be updated this summer. But nobody really knows if it will be updated or discontinued or redesigned (I hope, I hope...nah...unlikely).

If you want a carputer, I'd wait a little bit to see what happens this summer, and if they update them, then see if you can get a used or refurbished one on the cheap.

Bad Paper
Jun 10, 2008, 01:50 AM
I am interested in putting a mac mini in my car and using it as a carputer.What do you want to do with it? If performance isn't a big issue, then you can score a rather nice G4 Mini off of eBay for $300ish. I have even seen pics of a mini installed in a VW bug. I can't imagine why, though.

I need gigabit ethernet, though, so I am limited to the Intel Minis, and those go for more. I may as well wait for the update.

Ross, it's pretty clear that everyone expects a Mini update this summer. Summer hasn't even started yet. I assume that Apple is timing the announcement of the new Mini to coincide with Intel's announcement of Montevina, which *should* have happened last week, but has been delayed until mid-July.

iflipper
Jun 10, 2008, 02:32 AM
Now I don't know what to do. I had thought there would be some news of the mini yesterday. I've been waiting 6 months now to upgrade my first generation intel mac mini which is very full and creaky. The mini in store as it stands is waaaay overpriced so I'm leaning towards an iMac but really I don't want a built in monitor. :confused:

MacSA
Jun 10, 2008, 03:44 AM

1) Mac

2) Music (iPod, iTunes)

3) iPhone

If that's a list prioritising Apple's business, I would put Mac at the bottom.

nickf
Jun 10, 2008, 04:28 AM

The clue's in the name of the meeting - it was the developer's conference :)

The 3G iPhone and app store is a very big deal - it's going to make Apple (and some lucky developers) an extremely large amount of money.

10.6 was also announced too, but not discussed. Presumably the information will be under an NDA.

As for new hardware - I'd wait for Macworld for that.

mobile23
Jun 10, 2008, 02:11 PM
still waiting for new mini update. will wait till end of July, hopefully they won't kill it :o

the current model is ok for me but i just want wireless N built-in :p

MacHappytjg
Jun 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
still waiting for new mini update. will wait till end of July, hopefully they won't kill it :o

the current model is ok for me but i just want wireless N built-in :p

i just dont wanna get one then them updating right after happened when i got my macbook pissed me right off

gazfocus
Jun 10, 2008, 04:24 PM
Montevina is Penryn. That was my point.

I think you have these mixed up....

Montevina is a chipset.
Penryn is a processor.

The current Macbooks, iMacs, and Macbook Pro's are all penryn based now but they are still on the Santa Rosa chipset.

When Montevina chipset comes out, the Macbooks, iMacs, and MBP's will all get updated to Montevina and the Mac Mini will get updated to Santa Rosa (as the Mini's are always a step behind the rest.

ikm19
Jun 10, 2008, 07:02 PM
After a long wait i decided to go and get mac mini for mine dad. He is no tech savy thats was the reason for mine decision.

I went to 2 apple store and frys. I found they were out of stock. i have no idea why... may be new mini...

tuxtpenguin
Jun 10, 2008, 07:51 PM
A new mini would be great. I may even switch to intel processors at that point... as long as I can have 4 GB of RAM.

MacHappytjg
Jun 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
A new mini would be great. I may even switch to intel processors at that point... as long as I can have 4 GB of RAM.

lol what computer(s) do u have now

ikm19
Jun 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
lol what computer(s) do u have now

may be amd

MacHappytjg
Jun 10, 2008, 08:19 PM
may be amd

im assuming ppc as of now since hes on macrumors and usually most people have macs but off topic but why wouldnt they put amd processers instead of amd there so much better than intel

hinchesk
Jun 10, 2008, 08:34 PM
I went to 2 apple store and frys. I found they were out of stock. i have no idea why... may be new mini...

If Apple is going to keep it around and if the shortages are related to a new Mini coming then it's unlikely that situation will last more than a month or two. Rumors of engineering teams working on the Mini and multiple reports of stock shortages point to something this summer, possibly by end of July.

However, with Apple's track record for non-spotlight products... I wouldn't hold my breath.

ikm19
Jun 10, 2008, 08:35 PM
im assuming ppc as of now since hes on macrumors and usually most people have macs but off topic but why wouldnt they put amd processers instead of amd there so much better than intel

I have no idea. i did try once running tiger on mine amd machine and the performance was so impressive that i made a decision to switch to os x and since then never gone back. I do currently have vista machine but the more they upgrade more slower its get

cherry su
Jun 10, 2008, 09:09 PM
probably when the iMacs get refreshed sometime in fall

ihabime
Jun 11, 2008, 03:56 AM
It seems like Apple has settled on a yearly upgrade schedule for the mini, the last update took 11 months. We're on the 10th month now, so I'd expect it sometime in june or july. As for specs, I agree, same as the current Macbook.

AC773
Jun 11, 2008, 10:55 AM
Keep in mind, last August's mini update was exceedingly lame. It was done out of necessity when Intel stopped making Core Duos, and the motherboard is exactly the same.

Apple better have something good up their sleeves for August if I'm going to be tempted away from my Hackintosh. ;)

Westsider 4 Mac
Jun 11, 2008, 11:09 AM
...this sounds like a X-mas 2008 refresh. Apple just does not care for the mac mini. They have not shown me that the mini is important to :apple: plans overall.

Pathfinder55
Jun 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
Looks like some one is over due for a update!!!

http://www.mactactic.com/detail/Mac_mini_mid_07/ ;)

Pathfinder55
Jun 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Also, would there be any chance in a price reduction on the new mini refresh? If it doesn't matter to Apple they might as well give people a good deal on them. :rolleyes:

Col127
Jun 11, 2008, 02:36 PM
Also, would there be any chance in a price reduction on the new mini refresh? If it doesn't matter to Apple they might as well give people a good deal on them. :rolleyes:

heh, one can only hope. i don't think the mac mini's have come down in price at all....

Pathfinder55
Jun 11, 2008, 03:08 PM
i don't think the mac mini's have come down in price at all....

Are you suggesting that they probably should?

aaquib
Jun 11, 2008, 06:21 PM
heh, one can only hope. i don't think the mac mini's have come down in price at all....

They've actually gone up in price. When Mini's were introduced, they were sold at $499, with a $599 premium model. But when they introduced the Intel Core Solo/Duo model, the price jumped to $599 and $799.

b50bsa
Jun 11, 2008, 08:03 PM

There is certainly a big gab in the Mac desktop product-line where a MiniMac Pro would sit nicely. I would even want it to have the same power as the iMac - how ever unlikely that is to become.

If not a miniMac Pro then why not just a Mac (without the pro and the xeon renderfarm and 8 drivebays and the 4 gfx board option)? I would love to see a mac based upon the desktop "E" models of the C2D chip. (Also very unlikely to happen)

But then apple made the iMac with the 8800GS and that made it appetizing for my needs. And I must say that I am very happy with it.

Edit:
I did actually contemplate a hackintosh for quite a while, because I too wanted something right in the middle of the gab. I got put off the idea because I wanted the whole Apple experience, and found it too much bother to put together an OSx86 box on specs. That plus it is piracy - obviously.
/Edit

Hi, I'm new to posting, but have read this forum a few times. I too am waiting for a new Mini. I have a G4 version. I really hope Apple keeps a reasonably priced, stand alone CPU.

I bought my first computer in ~82 or 83, it was an Apple llc. Big move, was it going to be useful, or just a door stop. I guess that could be labeled as useful. Anyway, on a comparison basis only, the llc of the day was similar to the iMac of today. What you see is what you've got. I owned the llc for a couple of months, sold it and went back in time, and bought a lle. Cool, now I could use the expansion abilities to taylor my new found passion to the way I wanted. Time passed, I bought a llgs.

Time passed even more, In ~ 91 I bought a 386 so I could buy an affordable program to use in my business. In 2001, after many upgrades, I was finally sick of the "blue screen of death". My eldest son led me back to Apple. Bought a used "Yikes" G4 tower"

Present day, I have a 1.5 G4 Mini. Great for what I now do. My monitor is great, I have a back lit keyboard so my tired eyes can lead my "not good at typing hands". My mouse works excellent. I don't want to be left in the wake of new OS-X's, so....

New Mini, yes please.

MacHappytjg
Jun 11, 2008, 09:29 PM
probably when the iMacs get refreshed sometime in fall

but didnt they just get redone like 3 times since they first came out in fall to spring the imac alu with 10.4, then leopard, then the 3.06

Col127
Jun 12, 2008, 07:03 AM
They've actually gone up in price. When Mini's were introduced, they were sold at $499, with a $599 premium model. But when they introduced the Intel Core Solo/Duo model, the price jumped to $599 and $799.

really? lol, i don't remember that. :) $499 & $599 is an excellent excellent price point!

PaulexPC
Jun 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
I am ready to buy whatever they release. Cash in hand.

Dear Apple, release it now. I am sick of Windows.

Bad Paper
Jun 12, 2008, 01:18 PM
When Montevina chipset comes out, the Macbooks, iMacs, and MBP's will all get updated to Montevina and the Mac Mini will get updated to Santa Rosa (as the Mini's are always a step behind the rest.This is quite an assumption for you to make. There is no reason for Apple to release a Santa Rosa Mini. Apple has been manufacturing a "redesigned, smaller" Mini all spring. Santa Rosa is basically the same size as Napa. Why invest in a case redesign for what is essentially the same board? The next Mini will be Montevina.