PDA

View Full Version : A question about Handbrake and subtitles

BoyBach
May 30, 2008, 06:36 AM
I've been using Handbrake to rip a few of my DVD's and I'm having a problem with subtitles in The Bourne Supremacy. I cannot seem to find the setting for ripping the movie in English but with English subtitles for the Russian dialogue.

Can somebody help me to solve this?

Thanks, Andrew.

:)

jimc
May 30, 2008, 09:56 AM
I can't confirm this as I don't have a suitable DVD to hand but if I remember correctly...

In the Audio & Subtitles tab choose the language for the subtitles (English) and check the 'Forced Subs Only' checkbox.

Forced subs are subtitles that would be shown when playing the DVD in a regular player with subtitles switched off, eg. foreign dialogue in an english language film.

Hope that helps,
Jim

BoyBach
May 30, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply jimc. I've followed your advice and ripped using all of the selections offered in Handbrake with no success.

Do you think that it could it be possible that it's a problem unique to this particular film? If so I guess I'll just have to learn Russian! :eek: ;)

theLimit
May 30, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm actually testing the "Forced Subtitles Only" feature right now. I'll let you know if it works for me.

BoyBach
May 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm actually testing the "Forced Subtitles Only" feature right now. I'll let you know if it works for me.

Thank you. :)

theLimit
May 30, 2008, 02:31 PM
Forced subtitles worked fine on Man on Fire. I'll pick up The Bourne Supremacy this evening and give that a try.

theLimit
Jun 4, 2008, 08:29 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I've had a busy first half of the week.

I tried ripping The Bourne Supremacy in HandBrake with "Forced Subtitles Only" checked and got no subtitles at all. I then played the disc in DVD Player and confirmed that subtitles were being played in the appropriate non-English scenes. I checked the subtitle tracks and found that DVD Player was playing the third English subtitle track. The first was the standard English subtitles, then there was Director's Commentary English subtitles, and the last English listed was the one I wanted. I picked the last English subtitle track in HandBrake and the encoded file had English subs in only the non-English speaking parts.