PDA

View Full Version : G5, original disc to Raid1 help required moving sys files

PaulGarcia
May 30, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hi,

Have single disc in Power Mac. I want to replace (remove) the original disc for two discs in a RAID1 format. (Mirrored)

I have open the mac and it only has two sets of wires for the drives.

Can sombody recommend the procedure I should follow to get the result I want. I dont want to rebuild all the software. I want to use a utility like CCC (Carbon Copy) to move all the system and data files.

Any help greatfully recived.

THanks

edesignuk
May 30, 2008, 06:43 AM
Think you'll need to put the current disk in an external firewire enclosure, install your 2 internal drives to be mirrored, boot off the original drive now in the external enclosure, then CCC from that back to your new disk(s).

tyr2
May 30, 2008, 07:50 AM
You don't say what size disks are involved but one option would be to convert the existing single disk into a mirrored device, you can do this with 'diskutil' without destroying the data. Then you can attach one of the new disks to the mirror, sync up the mirror, remove the original disk and then attach the other new disk.

I did something similar when upgrading disks in my MP.

If you're using Leopard another option would be to set one of the new disks as the time machine drive. Then swap out the boot disk for the other new disk, boot from the Leopard DVD and do a system restore from the time machine image. Then you could convert that to a mirrored device and attach the other disk.