Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discopop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
London
nightmare.

the hinge and the display cable are broken on my laptop (867/dvi) NOT the screen.
i contacted apple, only way o repair it - replacement screen (900 british pound)
contacted local dealer
found one for 599,- replacement.
"but only one hinge is broken and the display cable cut"
"if you open the screen case its not possible to close it tight again, all glued together"
ok
thought - no way, i rather try to get a screen from someone else, replace it myself and try to sell my screen instead of replacing it.
luckily found one, same model for 400 british pounds.
attach it, still doesn't work.
powerbook itself, no problems with external screen attached, everything fine.
exchange inverter board, but seems is just for the power for the screen. that was fine anyway, was on the other side, where screen wasn't broken.
anyone an idea what could be wrong. screen itself seems to work. guy who i bought it from tested it with another powerbook.

could it be that something went wrong or burned on the motherboard, when the cables, that were cut, created a contact?

anyone can help.

will probably go to my local dealer tomorrow and try to find out. but they are only interested in making money and suggest probably, to replace the motherboard.

if i do that i pay in the end more than buying a new laptop.

seems to be the strategy of apple anyway.
- make all the replacement parts so expensive that people rather buy a new laptop - f*"§ing monopol.

HELP!:confused:

Attachments

• broken02.jpg
    broken02.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 144
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.