PDA

View Full Version : Incompatibly between CS3 and Mac OSX 10.5.3

MacBytes
May 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: Incompatibly between CS3 and Mac OSX 10.5.3 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080530125606)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

LimeiBook86
May 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Well that's horrible news. I wish I didn't upgrade if this is true. I guess it's a good thing I left the laptop on 10.5.2. If this really is a big of an issue as they say I hope they fix it very quickly. :( :rolleyes:

Update: Weird, I created a simple file under 10.5.2 on the MacBook using Photoshop CS3 (version 10.0) and opened it on my iMac running 10.5.3 running the same version of Photoshop. I saved the file as another name and quit Photoshop. I then reopened the program and the newly saved file and it worked fine. Odd :confused:

esquire360
May 30, 2008, 12:38 PM
now i know why... this is true

starflyer
May 30, 2008, 12:44 PM
No trouble here.

I've tried with several files and can't recreate the problem. 10.5.3 and Photoshop CS3 10.0.1.

minik
May 30, 2008, 01:03 PM
I don't get it.

kbmb
May 30, 2008, 01:12 PM
I think most people having the issue are saving over the network to either an XServe or another server.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1538720&tstart=0

I haven't been able to reproduce it on my 10.5.3 install, but I'm saving locally.

-Kevin

rhett7660
May 30, 2008, 02:33 PM
I tried this also...... So far no errors...... Created a couple files and they seemed to be working ok.

rowensiv
May 30, 2008, 02:35 PM
thats really weird... my photoshop cs3 is working fine... i really think its working a little bit faster... :cool:

kbmb
May 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, so after reading the discussion, it seems to be tied to the AFP protocol.

I was able to reproduce.

- I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook, both running 10.5.3.

- I took a .psd file I had already created on the Mac Pro under 10.5.2. I copied that file to my MacBook.

- I then opened the file located on the MacBook, from my Mac Pro (mounting the MacBook using AFP).

- I made a change the the file and saved it.

- I tried to open the file again, and it gave me the error.

Now, personally, doing anything like this over the network is a no, no. But this is a little crazy that Apple made a change that is screwing this up.

Looks like SMB shares, like to a Window box are not affected. So this is pointing to Apple making a change to AFP.

-Kevin

rowensiv
May 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
that would make sense... yeah, saving files is giving me an error... :eek:

kbmb
May 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
Note....to anyone trying this.....please use a backup copy of your files. This appears right now to corrupt the file permanently. You will NOT be able to open the file again.

-Kevin

rhett7660
May 30, 2008, 02:59 PM
kbmb..

When you say copied, is it that you copied it via the network? Just wanting to make sure that is what you are taking about.

kbmb
May 30, 2008, 03:11 PM
kbmb..

When you say copied, is it that you copied it via the network? Just wanting to make sure that is what you are taking about.

Yup, copied via the network. I was on my Mac Pro, opened a Finder window, mounted my Macbook drive, and dragged the file over.

This, in itself is not the issue.

I was able to open that file fine on the Macbook itself....change it....save it (locally on the Macbook)....and reopen it.

The problem lies in the saving over the network.

That same file now, if I open on my Mac Pro via the network....make a change, and save it, back via the network, will corrupt the file.

Now the really fun part is, if I open that file via the network, make a change, but instead of just clicking Save, I click Save As... and still save it as the same filename over the network, it doesn't get corrupted.

It's something with the Save in PS over the AFP connection.

Let me know if this makes sense.

-Kevin

kbmb
May 30, 2008, 03:14 PM
Also, this seems to only effect files that were created prior to 10.5.3. If I do the same thing, but to a new file created and saved locally in 10.5.3, the corruption doesn't occur.

-Kevin

rhett7660
May 30, 2008, 04:02 PM
kbmb

Gotcha.... Since I was creating a file on my local HD saving and then re-opening it, I wouldn't get the error. But if I do this and then transfer it over the network open it up and then save it back over the network it will get corrupted.

Have you been able to save it locally, mount the network HD copy the file over the network open it up and then save it to the local HD on the new computer?

UltraNEO*
May 30, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hmm... Very odd! Can't seem to replicate any errors.
Perhaps the OP reporting the issue hasn't updated to the latest version? or the bundle has a bug?

http://img.skitch.com/20080530-tjf92q1j5nmeyye78g25m1797a.jpg

kbmb
May 30, 2008, 04:49 PM
kbmb

Gotcha.... Since I was creating a file on my local HD saving and then re-opening it, I wouldn't get the error. But if I do this and then transfer it over the network open it up and then save it back over the network it will get corrupted.

Have you been able to save it locally, mount the network HD copy the file over the network open it up and then save it to the local HD on the new computer?

As far as I can see, any local saves work fine. The only time the corruption occurs is when it's Saved over the network.

Just copying the file over the network and opening it on the other machine does not cause corruption.

-Kevin

rhett7660
May 30, 2008, 05:12 PM
kbmb..

Thank you very much. This had me worried!

asencif
May 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
Guys,

This is only an issue when working on a Photoshop CS3 file over the network. A file residing on a network share through AFP, although some people have reported this happening with SMB shares on a Win 2k share.

For those not having the issue is because you are working off your hard drive. That is totally different. This problem is huge because most all Graphic Design/Multimedia/Photography shops work off the server.

Right now all my clients are on full alert to hold off on the update.

UltraNEO*
May 30, 2008, 08:54 PM
Guys,

This is only an issue when working on a Photoshop CS3 file over the network. A file residing on a network share through AFP, although some people have reported this happening with SMB shares on a Win 2k share.

For those not having the issue is because you are working off your hard drive. That is totally different. This problem is huge because most all Graphic Design/Multimedia/Photography shops work off the server.

Right now all my clients are on full alert to hold off on the update.

OK fair enough!
Guess freelancers are the lucky ones here.

Ah well, i'm sure eventually Adobe will release a patch for you guys. I wonder why this problem has come to light though...

hmmm....

MacsAttack
May 31, 2008, 04:36 AM
Note....to anyone trying this.....please use a backup copy of your files. This appears right now to corrupt the file permanently. You will NOT be able to open the file again.

-Kevin

That would be what Time Machine is for... ;)

kbmb
May 31, 2008, 06:42 AM

Not for files on a network drive though :eek:

-Kevin

kbmb
May 31, 2008, 06:43 AM
What's odd is the behavior between a Save vs. a Save As.

As the Save As seems to work over the network.

-Kevin

CWallace
May 31, 2008, 07:02 AM
Not for files on a network drive though :eek:

Which is what tape-restore is for... :)

kbmb
May 31, 2008, 08:12 AM
Which is what tape-restore is for... :)

:p

-Kevin

Bob Knob
May 31, 2008, 11:57 AM
What's odd is the behavior between a Save vs. a Save As.

As the Save As seems to work over the network.

-Kevin

Save re-writes the existing header/resource fork data, so it must not be removing old bits or something along those lines. Save As just writes completely fresh data.
Has anyone compared the the data between the same successful "Save As" psd and a failed "Save" psd.

swordfish5736
May 31, 2008, 06:59 PM
Haven't had any issues saving to my external over the network but might just be servers.

rhett7660
Jun 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
Haven't had any issues saving to my external over the network but might just be servers.

Was it a file that was created using CS2 or before and the opened over the network in CS3 and then saved back over the network?