PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Buzz - new occurrence

hotaday
May 31, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hi, I have owned this iMac G5 2.1 iSight for over two years now. Recently, a high pitch buzz is being admitted from the computer. This is a problem, as I have very sensitive ears, and it takes away the pleasure of listening to music! I was hoping someone might have had this problem resolved in the past.

Thanks and God bless

gehrbox
May 31, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hi, I have owned this iMac G5 2.1 iSight for over two years now. Recently, a high pitch buzz is being admitted from the computer. This is a problem, as I have very sensitive ears, and it takes away the pleasure of listening to music! I was hoping someone might have had this problem resolved in the past.

Is the sound present when in sleep mode?

Does is vary while adjusting the brightness of the screen?

Does it vary while adjusting volume level?

Can you localize where the sound is coming from? Coming from the area where the power plug attaches? Coming from the speakers?

hotaday
May 31, 2008, 11:53 AM
thanks for the questions!

Sleep: No sound

Screen brightness does not have any effect on the constant buzz

Can't Change the volume: computer is hooked up via toslink to my stereo

sound is coming from between the top air vent and the place where the metal stand connects to the computer.

Thanks alot!

jonathandodson
May 31, 2008, 12:34 PM
That sounds like the position of one of the fans. If it's a buzz then it's probably bearings.

Only other movable part in that area is the HD but it doesn't usually "buzz".

gehrbox
May 31, 2008, 12:44 PM
thanks for the questions!

Sleep: No sound

Screen brightness does not have any effect on the constant buzz

Can't Change the volume: computer is hooked up via toslink to my stereo

sound is coming from between the top air vent and the place where the metal stand connects to the computer.

The area you described is the location of the hard disk. It's centered between the top of the case and the stand mounting point. Keep in mind that the way sound travels in a tight space could give a false impression of its origin. The optimist in me says its just a fan that has developed a vibration.

If not a fan (there are none in that area) it is most likely the hard disk. It may just be noise from vibration, but could also indicate the drive may be failing. Unusual noise developing from a hard drive is not good. There is a chance that it is a mounting issue causing the noise to occur though.

The power supply is located to the left of the hard drive (when viewed from the front). The power supplies in G5 iMacs were know to have some issues and they can make a humming/buzzing sound. If it is the power supply it could be on its way out or it could also work for years that way. I had a Mr Coffee maker that developed a humm from the power supply but worked for years until I tossed it for a new model.

hotaday
May 31, 2008, 01:06 PM
is the hd mounted sideways? the sound is = strong across the back of the vent. Anyhow I'm going to back up my files.

xxjuicymintxx
May 31, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm jealous your G5.
Not because of the problems it's having,
but because you have one, haha.

I'm having 24" withdrawals. :(

gehrbox
May 31, 2008, 01:45 PM
is the hd mounted sideways? the sound is = strong across the back of the vent. Anyhow I'm going to back up my files.

Its mounted with the platter part closest to the dvd/cd drive.

Backing up to an external source is a good idea even when your computer is working perfectly.