Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I know I'm a bit late, but I thought I'd do a review on my month old 1.83GHZ C2D Mac Mini. I am a switcher and the experience couldn't have been better.

Hardware

It has 1GB ram, 1.83 C2D, and an 80GB HDD. I was a bit concerned about the hardware, but I can now say that the system runs absolutely flawlessly! The 1GB of RAM may seem small, but the thing I love about Leopard is that there aren't too many "background apps", like there are in Windows. The RAM, for me, is enough for everything I use.

The processor is really nice and smooth. Prior to my Mini, I was using a 2.6GHZ Pentium 4 PC, and compared to this, that was just disastrous. I really didn't think the Core 2 Duo chip would make that much difference, but it did. It really is a speedy little machine, and perfect for what I use. Next, the hard drive. The hard drive is the only thing I wasn't really satisfied with. 80GB, with 57 useable out-of-the-box, is tiny. I'm looking forward to buying a 320GB external HDD soon, because the hard drive is really too little on the Mini. As a desktop PC, it really should be set with at least 160GB standard.

Intel GMA 950. I haven't tried playing any games on it, but I don't need to. I haven't played a single PC game for about 3 years. I really only play my PS3 and Wii now. The performance for watching videos is actually really stable. Occasionally, the video will have a millisecond jump, but its nothing that really bothers me. The GMA 950 for applications works just like any other graphics card would. The only real concern is for games. And for me, that isn't is a concern.

The actual machine its self is amazing. It is REALLY QUIET. You literally can't hear it until you put your ears against it. Even then, you can only hear a whisper. I love the little Apple Remote that comes with it, too. I also love how the computer is soo nice and compact. I needed to take it into school for a presentation, and my teacher and classmates were stunned at how small it was.

OS X

I don't think I need to discuss OS X too much, but as a switcher the experience is flawless and breathtaking. It's soo easy to find stuff, and everything just works. I rarely have any applications freeze, and in the rare situations when I do, it only quits the 1 application. Not everything associated. In my Windows PC, when IE froze up, it would take every single open application with it. So, iTunes, Word, and MSN all just disappeared because of 1 app. Using OS X is also extremely smooth and easy. Things kind of just pop up, and the time it takes to open up applications is unbelievable. The included applications are also extremely useful and are all integrated in a way that surprised me.

I really just like using it. Using my Windows laptop for anything always felt like a chore and a pain in the @ss, but I like using the Mac. I like being productive on it and just going on it and seeing what I can do. I used to feel like I "had" to use my PC, but I "want" to use my Mac. It sounds kind of weird, but its just such a joy using OS X on my Mac Mini,

Final Thoughts

All in all, going to a Mac was, what I believe, the best computer decision I have ever made. I was a bit nervous about paying that much when I could get more HDD, more RAM, and a fast processor. But, I finally escaped from Windows, and I finally understand why Apple fanboys are so in tact with the Mac. It works. Pretty damn nicely, too. For $652(after tax) for the Mini, it is easily the best computer I have ever purchased. If Apple just added in a larger HDD, and a faster GPU and CPU, then it would really be a hit with everyone. But for me, the current configuration still exceeds my needs.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
I have the previous generation Mini, the G4 model.

And I'm just as happy. I am looking forward to the next model so it's a worthwhile upgrade from my current model. I would like to be able to run XP in a virtual machine so I can have Office 2007. Office 2004 and 2008 are heinously bad.

But for now, for iPhoto, browsing the net, Skype and other daily stuff, it's a wonderful computer.

When the next Mini comes out, I'm turning this one into a Time Machine/iTunes server.

dance2noise002

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
I have the same Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz 80GB model as well, and yeah, the hard drive is a bit skimpy but everything else is great.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
The hard drive is the only thing I wasn't really satisfied with. 80GB, with 57 useable out-of-the-box, is tiny. I'm looking forward to buying a 320GB external HDD soon, because the hard drive is really too little on the Mini.

You ought to put that 320 gig drive inside your Mini. You will see a dramatic performance increase over an external enclosure and even over the 80 gig currently in it.

Intel GMA 950. The performance for watching videos is actually really stable. Occasionally, the video will have a millisecond jump, but its nothing that really bothers me.

This probably isn't an issue of the GMA950 unless it's a DVD you're playing. The Mini relies upon the C2D cpu for most of its decoding of video. The GMA950 only has MPEG-2 hardware acceleration found on DVDs (and some HD-DVD/Blu-Ray videos).

The actual machine its self is amazing. It is REALLY QUIET. You literally can't hear it until you put your ears against it.

Try running Handbrake. You'll hear the fan soon enough. ;)

If Apple just added in a larger HDD, and a faster GPU and CPU, then it would really be a hit with everyone. But for me, the current configuration still exceeds my needs.

The Mini is getting dated. It really needs Montevina. At a minimum, the improved gpu and wireless will make a dramatic difference.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I've had my Mini for nearly 2 years now (1.66ghz), upgraded the memory to from 512 to 1gb then 2gb. Very very happy with the little Mac. Does exactly what I want it to do. Like others would love to see an update, but whilst it still copes (with PhotoShop CS3, Lightroom, internet, iwork and being a webserver) I'm happy with it.

Great little low power consuming computer, in my opinion that's a real selling point for me. My previous HP PC had a 400w PSU and the little HP PC I used as a webserver had a PSU rated around 300w. The Mini PSU is rated around 100w so not only is the Mini quieter it also uses much less power. No idea if it's saved me much money, but I like to think it's helping (a bit).

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
If you watch some upgrading videos on youtube you could add some more RAM, a larger hard drive, and a superdrive if you like, yourself, it can be a bit fiddly but as long as you are patient and set aside a couple of hours.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
If the Mini's specs matched the Macbook's, then i would buy, at the moment, its too expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.