Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, John Gruber of DaringFireball.net suggested that Me.com might be the name for Apple's .Mac rename. There was no real evidence, however, except that Me.com was registered under MarkMonitor's domain service. MarkMonitor is a domain management service that Apple (and many others) use. Gruber admits that this is mostly speculative:
This is proof of nothing, of course, since MarkMonitor provides domain name parking for any company that pays for their services.
Me.com currently redirects users to Snappville.com - a social networking community. Snappville used to be called Me.com but changed names in December 2007 with little fanfare. The current Me.com page simply redirects to Snappville.

MacRumors reader Matthew Yohe pointed us to Netcraft page which curiously lists Kenneth Eddings (eddingsk@apple.com) as the DNS admin. This email address, however, was no where in the Whois lookup for Me.com. As it turns out, Mr. Eddings email address is listed in the SOA Record of the DNS record:

010557-soa.jpg

So, Apple does appear to own Me.com. It was likely purchased sometime in December 2007, and it could very well be the rebranding for Apple's .Mac service.

Article Link

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
The plot thickens!

My .mac runs out in 13 days... Just enough time to see if renewing is worth it, haha.

TheYankees1903

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Mobile Me = Me

The Service will be called Me... The iPhone support will be called Mobile Me...

You Heard It Here First,
TheYankees1903 :apple:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm assuming this correlates with the past story and the new name will be "Mobile Me" with the domain name me.com?

I think a name of just "Me" would get very confusing.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Hmmm, interesting. I don't know if this means something or not? Does it? Is this enough to say that it is quite likely that .Mac will now be known as 'Me', or 'Mobile Me'?

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Hmm...

Maybe this is their way of weaning people away from the name Mac.

Start on the mobile side. iPhone, iPod...

Change the notebooks to AirBook, and AirBook Pro eventually killing the machine in the middle.

They could go with iDesk Mini for the Mini, iDesk for the iMac and iDesk Pro for the Mac Pro.

Just some wild speculation on my part, but they killed the Apple II line pretty harshly. They could kill the Mac name overnight as well.

Chris Stroud

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I hope they have a way of implementing the new name so that it makes sense. I think I like dotmac better than mobileme.... it sounds kinda odd or even stupid at this point.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Same basic info for mobileme.com

Registrant:
Domain Administrator
DNStination, Inc.
303 Second Street Suite 800N
San Francisco CA 94107
US
admin@dnstinations.com +1.4155319335 Fax: -

Domain Name: mobileme.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Domain Administrator
DNStination, Inc.
San Francisco CA 94107
US
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Domain Administrator
DNStination, Inc.
San Francisco CA 94107
US

Created on..............: 2002-08-23.
Expires on..............: 2009-08-23.
Record last updated on..: 2008-03-30.

Note: the date it was updated.. March 30th 2008

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
@me.com would be a cool address...

anyone really know why a name change is needed?

I think it's because the iPhone and iPod Touch are not Macs. So it doesn't make sense to provide a service called ".Mac" to people who might not even own a Mac.

arn

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Maybe this is their way of weaning people away from the name Mac.

Start on the mobile side. iPhone, iPod...

Change the notebooks to AirBook, and AirBook Pro eventually killing the machine in the middle.

They could go with iDesk Mini for the Mini, iDesk for the iMac and iDesk Pro for the Mac Pro.

Just some wild speculation on my part, but they killed the Apple II line pretty harshly. They could kill the Mac name overnight as well.

Except they specifically changed the name of all their products to contain Mac instead of "Power" since the Power stood for PowerPC. The i now stands for Intel I guess. When the iMac came out he said it stood for internet. Internet Mac. The goal of the first iMac was to be incredibly easy to set up and get on the internet. Now I guess the i is just an i.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I think it's because the iPhone and iPod Touch are not Macs. So it doesn't make sense to provide a service called ".Mac" to people who might not even own a Mac.

arn

Makes sense, but I prefer .Mac.

It's easy to spell out as an email address and I just like what it assocaites me with. @me.com sounds stupid to me.

Chris Stroud

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Except they specifically changed the name of all their products to contain Mac instead of "Power" since the Power stood for PowerPC. The i now stands for Intel I guess. When the iMac came out he said it stood for internet. Internet Mac. The goal of the first iMac was to be incredibly easy to set up and get on the internet. Now I guess the i is just an i.

Yeah because the original iPod had no internet connectivity, that is just their thing. iMovie, iWeb, iMac, iPod, iPhone, iCal, iChat, iSync, iLife, iTV (code name), iDVD, iWork, iBook, of course Stevo (iCeo), iCar.... did I miss any?

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains

True.

But there's been the Mac, Mac SE, Mac+, Mac II, Mac LC....... and so many more.

Just wondering if they're getting tired of the name. Again, just thinking out loud. :)

Chris Stroud

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
And if you think about it, it would have to be set up like me.com being the .mac replacement, and have MobileMe be the iPhone/iPod touch protocol for accessing features such as Push email etc... it couldn't be two separate services.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Maybe it has nothing to do with .Mac but instead Apple is going to attempt a full-fledged social networking website. Maybe it means nothing and Apple felt whimsical at the time.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan

arn

does make sense, this looks promising!

Chris Stroud

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Maybe it has nothing to do with .Mac but instead Apple is going to attempt a full-fledged social networking website. Maybe it means nothing and Apple felt whimsical at the time.
No way, Apple would never create a Social web site, the demand simply isn't there. People already have several great ones to choose from. The references to .Mac have been changed to a variable like a% or something idr, these can be changed in 10.5.4(maybe) during WWDC.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.

The official word from Apple was just that they wanted to emphasize the "Mac" moniker with all of their products. Just like iPod... i.e. iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod touch, etc., we have iMac, Mac mini, MacBook, Mac Pro. In other words, Apple said it had nothing to do with the "Power" part of PowerPC. The Intel transition was just a good time to change the names.

Also, the "i" doesn't stand for Intel. You're right that it stood for "internet" to begin with, but I don't think it really stands for anything now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.