PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Music Store Japan in 2004

MacRumors
Nov 27, 2003, 08:00 PM
Apple is opening its first (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/nov/27ginza.html) retail store in Japan this Sunday (Nov 30th, 2003).

Steve Jobs is presently visiting Japan to celebrate the opening of the Apple Store Ginza and announced that Apple will be launching the iTunes Music Store for the Japanese market in 2004. Napster has reportedly made a similar announcement as well, with both companies currently in negotiations with Japanese record labels.

Related link: Asahi.com (Japanese) (http://www.asahi.com/business/update/1128/005.html)

mproud
Nov 27, 2003, 08:05 PM
Here's a pretty good translation:

American PC corporation Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs on November 27th said he has definite plans for America's popular online music store service to start in Japan in 2004. Although Japan has only a few internet distributors, it still ranks second in the software marketplace in the world, next to the US. Japan is aiming to undertake the foreign capital system to expand its place in the online market.

Apple is in the middle of negotiations with Japanese record labels in order to start the service.

At the end of April of this year, Apple began its online service in America all at once with a bang. With no monthly fee, people can easily buy 1 song for 99 cents each (about 108 yen), leading to sales that were so strong that in one week it had sold a record 1 million songs. More than 17 million songs have been sold since. In the first week of October, about 7 online companies have shared the online market.

In Japan, Sony Group's Label Gate company is developing a managed site to include each and every record the company distributes. Download figures for the month are projected to be on the small scale of approximately 70,000 songs. The US software company Roxio will also be in Japan within one year when the new Napster service will be announced. Japan's music industry is watching how the US is in a hurry to stimulate the market by undertaking new services.

Also Japan related:

MacMinute and MacNN are both reporting (from CNN) that Osaka will be getting a new store next year.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/27/technology/apple.reut/index.htm

Boy, it's too bad they didn't say this last year. I'm in Osaka now and I would love to see an Apple store here!

Economists will be happy on news like this, as the Kansai region (which includes Osaka and Kyoto) has been one of the hardest hit through Japan's sluggish economy.

Fall
Nov 27, 2003, 08:15 PM
woo! Japab!

Freakk123
Nov 27, 2003, 08:15 PM
Does this mean that the Japanese music store will be released before the European or Canadian? That would be too bad...

Brock
Nov 27, 2003, 08:21 PM
Why not Canada? Why not Canada?

Phazer80s
Nov 27, 2003, 08:23 PM
Let's hope this means that other countries/regions will get it soon, too. The timing of the Japan announcement is no doubt due to the opening of the Ginza store.

What announcements will tomorrow bring for those of us in North America?

skymac
Nov 27, 2003, 08:44 PM
Come on iTMS canada come on. I'm kind of skeptical though since ive never really heard steve make much reference to it and i supose he'll consider it a big deal. but man oh man i need to get off of limewire its so awful i could vomit but congrats to Japan, the faster iTMS cand spread internationaly the better chance it has of competing with all the other online music buying plcaes in those locations and well into the future.

Macmaniac
Nov 27, 2003, 08:48 PM
It opens in less then 15 minutes:)
Lets hope iTMS for Japan will be quickly follower by Europe and Canada!

Longey Nowze
Nov 27, 2003, 08:55 PM
ok this is great news! the announcment of the the first international iTMS and the opening of the first Apple store out side of the US! the is amazing! now lets hope that Apple will open more stores and more iTMS in other places like throughout Europe an Apple Store London maybe on Regent or Oxford st. one in Paris right on the Champs! one in Rome near the Spanish steps or would Milan be a better place? how about a few in the Mid east? places like Dubai are good for an Apple store lots of tourists all year round!

I have a question, iTMS Japan would have Japanese music right? would that music be available in iTMS US?? this would bring more exposure to music that people wouldn't have ever had a chance to hear.

Thank You
MaT

avus
Nov 27, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Freakk123
Does this mean that the Japanese music store will be released before the European or Canadian? That would be too bad...

Well, say whatever you want, but Japan is the second largest market for music CD after the US, so I consider it to be only natural.

hokka
Nov 27, 2003, 09:09 PM
Good news, but...

how is this a rumor? it's been known for months

whfsdude
Nov 27, 2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by hokka

how is this a rumor? it's been known for months

No one said this was a rumor

iRiKliAN
Nov 27, 2003, 09:34 PM
ok this is great news! the announcment of the the first international iTMS and the opening of the first Apple store out side of the US! the is amazing! now lets hope that Apple will open more stores and more iTMS in other places like throughout Europe an Apple Store London maybe on Regent or Oxford st. one in Paris right on the Champs! one in Rome near the Spanish steps or would Milan be a better place? how about a few in the Mid east? places like Dubai are good for an Apple store lots of tourists all year round! I have a question, iTMS Japan would have Japanese music right? would that music be available in iTMS US?? this would bring more exposure to music that people wouldn't have ever had a chance to hear. Thank You MaT

What about Australia?... All of a sudden we dont exist.

Apple Store Melbourne, voted the most liveable city in the world!!

iAlan
Nov 27, 2003, 09:42 PM
I will be at the Ginza opening (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=592583#post592583) and hope to get there early enough to get one of the 2,500 t-shirts thay are giving away.

I will take a few pics to let you know how it goes.

I hope they have some opening discounts, as I would love to leave with a new dual G5. I can only hope...

I was also wondering why Apple didn't opt for a store in Akihabara? For those of you who don't know, Akihabara is a district in Japan that is made up of nothing other than electronics stores (major chains and independants) selling computers, TVs, VCRs, DVD players, stereo equipment - everything electrical. Akihabara takes up close to 3 city blocks (maybe more if you factor in all the side street that seem to be growing and growing with new stores) and is the best place to see absolutely everything.

Anyway, Ginza is still a very good location.

mproud
Nov 27, 2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
It opens in less then 15 minutes:)Sorry, it opens Sunday (Saturday evening in America).

hokka
Nov 27, 2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by whfsdude
No one said this was a rumor

well, this is MacRumor.com not MacDailyNews.com, am I wrong?:rolleyes:

Quobobo
Nov 27, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
I have a question, iTMS Japan would have Japanese music right? would that music be available in iTMS US?? this would bring more exposure to music that people wouldn't have ever had a chance to hear.

You have no idea how much I want this to be true (Japanese music in other music stores, specifically Canada). I listen to quite a few Japanese bands, and my options for listening to their music suck; I can waste a lot of time trying to find their music for download (not always successful), or I can pay absolutely sickening prices to import their CDs. If the US/Canada iTunes store had Japanese music at the same prices as other music, I would buy so much more music from Apple.

I just hope that something as awesome as this won't be screwed up by licensing issues with the record companies...

winmacguy
Nov 27, 2003, 10:40 PM
the reason why iTMS is not going out world wide as fast as us Mac users and Mac owners would like is because of the respective laws governing the copying of CDs and music in each country. It has nothing to do with Steve Jobs being slow about it or holding back. Apple has to negotiate specifc deals with record labels and negotiate various laws in order to provide access for iTMS in each country (Canada, European Countries, Australia, New Zealand etc)
Unfortunatley down here in New Zealand we have some of the tightest laws regarding copying of CDs in the world - it is illegal to copy or burn a CD onto another CD or music playing device. This doesnt mean that we dont do it. It would take a law change in parliament to make way for the iTunes music service to be available here. we do have a local downloading music service selling CDs whole are currently trying to negotiate with major labels but not having much luck. So until a law change happens we can only hope.....

Longey Nowze
Nov 27, 2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by iRiKliAN
What about Australia?... All of a sudden we dont exist.

Apple Store Melbourne, voted the most liveable city in the world!!

sure you exits! except that you lost to England, so they have to get iTMS first :P

anyway sorry for that I didn't mean to leave you out! I'm only human.

sorry
MaT

mproud
Nov 27, 2003, 11:34 PM
An interesting thing is how the costs will be determined in other countries.

As we all know, currencies fluctuate, but pricing I would figure would not change too much.

Music is quite more expensive here in Japan. Many new albums will go for about 2000 yen (about $18 US). I'm guessing that Apple will set the price per song around 129 yen each and albums at 1299 yen.

Will European nations pay 0,99 Euros per song and 9,99 Euros per album like in the US?

Interesting, isn't it?
omoshirosoodesne.

sushi
Nov 27, 2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by iAlan
I will be at the Ginza opening
Cool. Looking forward to the pics.

I was also wondering why Apple didn't opt for a store in Akihabara?
Since both locations are in Tokyo, my guess would be that the Ginza area is the upscale shopping district.

...and Apple is already well represented in Akihabara.

Sushi

ITR 81
Nov 27, 2003, 11:55 PM
It will open in the second half of 2004. Osaka is the second largest city in Japan.

There is UK store also on the books for sometime next yr as well.

Jobs is adding around 25 stores a yr so I expect about 5 of those stores to open overseas.

As for Australia I believe since they are opening Apple Stores inside retail stores they might not open a Apple Store right away there atleast not until around 05'.

I believe tomorrow more iTMS news will be given out. Probably about iTMS, Japan, Germany, France, UK, Sweden, Canada, Korea and Australia. I believe most these countries will get a store open to them by next yr.

I bet some these stores may open in Jan. for MacWorld or the CES show. A iTMS overseas at the CES show would kill anything MS is showing. If Apple wants to up-stage MS thats place to do it.

ITR 81
Nov 27, 2003, 11:57 PM
http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/display_news.cfm?NewsID=3497

mproud
Nov 27, 2003, 11:58 PM
South Korea should be VERY on Apple's to-do list. They're going bananas for the iPod.

MrSmith
Nov 28, 2003, 12:04 AM
This may be a silly question, but do you think the Japan version will include all the music offered in the US version as well as Japanese music?

Someone PLEASE tell me it will be so...

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 12:21 AM
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/11/27/appleginza04.jpg
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/11/27/appleginza02.jpg
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/11/27/appleginza01.jpg

I hope it will allow all users to buy Japanese music online.

winmacguy
Nov 28, 2003, 12:48 AM
the pics of the new store are awesome!!!

Counterfit
Nov 28, 2003, 12:55 AM
:eek: those pics! :eek: that store! :eek:

dracoleb
Nov 28, 2003, 01:21 AM
I hope that we can get the Japanese music here in the US. Is it just me or is that store huge:eek: :eek:
My Apple store is in a mall, never be able to fit that many iMac and still have room for everything else

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 01:28 AM
http://a1024.g.akamai.net/7/1024/51/3e15eac84304b6/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/1floor0509.jpg
http://a608.g.akamai.net/7/608/51/55c4464ada2457/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/1floor0506.jpg
http://a384.g.akamai.net/7/384/51/3f4901c56d6132/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/2floor0561.jpg
http://a160.g.akamai.net/7/160/51/09026c1d8c4383/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/2floor0555.jpg
http://a2016.g.akamai.net/7/2016/51/127f163d7f87ac/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/3floor0552.jpg
http://a1792.g.akamai.net/7/1792/51/7690ad554bc183/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/3floor0590.jpg
http://a1648.g.akamai.net/7/1648/51/5ca3993a128476/www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/images/studio0517.jpg

hokka
Nov 28, 2003, 01:29 AM
got to love the net! and the low ceiling of the place ;)

Been to Tokyo myself, can never get over the brightness of all the stores there, wondering if electricity's expensive there, 'cos it's so BRIGHT at night it hurts my eyes...

I do like the Apple logo on the building though... maybe it can compete with Phillipe Stark designed Asahi Beer Headquarter :D

michael666
Nov 28, 2003, 01:30 AM
What a lovely day.

Luckily, I'm living in Japan right now. I have to start to compile a wishlist, so I can spend my money right away when it opens. Also, my wife has to get a new Windows PC with XP, so she can use at least iTunes and the music store. And by the time I'm going back to Europe (in about one year), there'll also be an Apple music store! Really cool.

By the way, does anyone know if they will have a discount at the opening of the ginza store? 10% off of my new iPod would be nice :-)

yamadataro
Nov 28, 2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by michael666
By the way, does anyone know if they will have a discount at the opening of the ginza store? 10% off of my new iPod would be nice :-)

They don't have any discount deals going on. But they are giving away 2,500 free T-shirts for the visitors.

http://www.apple.co.jp/retail/ginza/

Sabenth
Nov 28, 2003, 02:18 AM
Have to say that that is one hell of a shop jeeeeeeezzzzzz.....

I LOVE THE BAR THING

and look at all those Macs

get somthing like that here in australia

can see it now steve bracks trying to out bid nsw and queensland ha ha ha

AmigoMac
Nov 28, 2003, 03:01 AM
???????? :D

(What the ....)!

Hey Steve, Europe is waiting for some places like this... I don't care if is near home, ;)

Good for Japan!

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 03:12 AM
Dec 6th will be the opening date for second Apple Store in GA.

It's located just north of Atlanta and is located in the North Point Circle.

They will be giving free demo's of all the classes they will be offering and 1,000 Apple T-shirts to first 1,000 folks to enter the store.

This new store will bring Apple Stores total in the US to 73. I bet Apple will have around 100 or more stores in the US by end of next yr and probably around 5 overseas.

Trowaman
Nov 28, 2003, 03:26 AM
My Apple store is also is a mall. Infact, all 3 of mine are in a mall since I'm going to school near Dallas. Houston = small store in large mall, both of dallas = small store in medium malls. I want to see an apple buding someday *sigh

Also if this Japanese music store means what I think it does, please bring the Americans Yoko Kano (Cowboy Bebop music) and JRock. Those chicks from Kill Bill wouldn't be bad either (thanks Terrintino for broadening my taste!)

irmongoose
Nov 28, 2003, 03:30 AM
Gotta love Apple :D

That's all I can say... I can't wait to get to the Apple Store on Sunday!

irmongoose

Bob Knob
Nov 28, 2003, 03:54 AM
I will be at the Ginza opening (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=592583#post592583) and hope to get there early enough to get one of the 2,500 t-shirts thay are giving away.
I was also wondering why Apple didn't opt for a store in Akihabara?

I go to Japan once or twice a year and have a friend who is somewhat high up in the LOX chain. From what I understand there were many discussions about Apple not having a store in Akihabara because it would eat into two very successful Apple stores there now... one being LOX and the other is an all Apple store (can't remember the name) that is one block off the main street. Those two stores are responsible for close to 75% of all Apple computer sales in all of Japan.
It seems the Apple stores in Japan really are about selling the brand rather than actual computers, like the US stores are supposed to be.

irmongoose
Nov 28, 2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Bob Knob
I go to Japan once or twice a year and have a friend who is somewhat high up in the LOX chain. From what I understand there were many discussions about Apple not having a store in Akihabara because it would eat into two very successful Apple stores there now... one being LOX and the other is an all Apple store (can't remember the name) that is one block off the main street. Those two stores are responsible for close to 75% of all Apple computer sales in all of Japan.
It seems the Apple stores in Japan really are about selling the brand rather than actual computers, like the US stores are supposed to be.

Is the store you're talking about Sofmap? Or perhaps Akibakan...

Very true. Brand selling is one of the largest markets in Japan... no matter how bad the product is, or more often, how pointless it is, or even more often, how expensive it is, if its got a brand name on it Japanese people recognize and like, it's going to sell.

Not saying Apple is bad... :p

irmongoose

simply258
Nov 28, 2003, 04:47 AM
was also wondering why Apple didn't opt for a store in Akihabara? For those of you who don't know, Akihabara is a district in Japan that is made up of nothing other than electronics stores (major chains and independants) selling computers, TVs, VCRs, DVD players, stereo equipment - everything electrical.
I read on some site that Apple chose Ginza because they are not represented there and would be competing with other companies like Sony. In Akihabara or other areas, they don't want to be competing with their resellers.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/27/technology/apple.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

By setting up a store in Ginza, Apple also avoids direct competition with huge electronics retail outlets offering everything from digital cameras to Apple's Powerbook laptops.

yamadataro
Nov 28, 2003, 05:01 AM
Those two stores are responsible for close to 75% of all Apple computer sales in all of Japan.

75% of all sales in Japan? I don't think that's possible :D

What I know for sure is that there are many computer retail stores all over Japan that have Apple. LAOX alone has bunch of locations which have Apple products. Yodobashi, Bic and Sofmap have very big operations too.

As to the new Apple store in Ginza being a brand reconginition-oriented store, I agree with that.

Ginza is no place to shop for computers for the usual people like me. For those of you not familiar with Ginza area, it's like opening a computer store next to Prada on Madison Ave. in NYC.

Makosuke
Nov 28, 2003, 06:30 AM
Thought 1: I'm with the people hoping that the iTMS Japan will carry Japanese music, and that it'll also be available to folks in the US. 90% of the music I listen to is Japanese, and if they started carrying a worthwhile selection on the iTMS US, I'd end up spending so much money it's not even funny. My wife'd better hope they don't...

Thought 2: Ginza makes far more sense than Akihabara. Apple's already got a non-official presence in Akihabara, and although it'd be fun, I don't think it'd make for the most efficient sales location at this point. Maybe later, though.

Ginza, on the othr hand, is a no brainer. Who're they selling to? Idiot Japanese consumers with far more money than sense for whom anything with a status-symbol brand name is an object of worship. They go to Ginza, they might want a computer, and there's a big, Brand Approved(tm) store staring them in the face selling nice looking computers. Instant sale.

These are the same folks who drool over designer handbags that cost hundreds of dollars, and they're easy prey for a company that makes stuff as cool (both in actuality and in image) as Apple. Sell to 'em. Sell lots to 'em.

Smart move.

mproud
Nov 28, 2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Makosuke
Thought 1: I'm with the people hoping that the iTMS Japan will carry Japanese music, and that it'll also be available to folks in the US. 90% of the music I listen to is Japanese, and if they started carrying a worthwhile selection on the iTMS US, I'd end up spending so much money it's not even funny. My wife'd better hope they don't...Agreed, though I think there's a bigger question:

Will the Apple Store be the same for everyone in every country? Will everyone have access to one's own music? If I had music accepted to iTunes, would people all around the world be able to listen to it?

I would think Apple would want everyone to have access to the same stuff online. Seems like it would be the "Steve Jobs way" - in which case, the store will significantly increase its size.

I could see different start pages for different countries (as countries have different favorites and tastes for music - and there's language, too...)

For Japan, at least 8 of the top 10 singles are native to Japan (okay, the top 10 are up for debate, but I guarantee you the ratio is mighty close to that).

laubowski
Nov 28, 2003, 08:46 AM
what about Hong Kong!

I can gurantee you that Hong Kong is next in line in Asia because Hong Kong is the next largest shopping in Asia. In Causeway Bay or smack in Central probably has any many people shopping like Champs in Paris and what not.

Apple can only benefit from this. ITMS for Hong Kong would be good because it will have both HK music, Chinese music, Taiwanese music and English music which will take a big step into Asian itunes.

csubear
Nov 28, 2003, 09:59 AM
this is great. my wife is japanese, but we live in the US. she has had a very hard time getting good japanese music. if they offered japanese music at the iTMS i would be the first in line.

Zech Marquis
Nov 28, 2003, 10:12 AM
If my gf isn't too busy, I'll ask her to stop the new Apple Store in Ginza for me. Meanwhile. I'll have enough mney to go there in the early to mid spring.

Now the Japan iTMS--I would pay a little extra to pay songs from Japan, especially for songs by SMAP, Utada Hikaru, etc. I'll even download the Japanese version of iTunes if need be.

yamadataro
Nov 28, 2003, 10:45 AM
I'm kinda wondering if Japanese iTMS will be exclusive to people with credit cards with Japanese billing address, just like the current US one???

I assume that's the way it will be, considering all the record label contracts. I'm very curious how Apple will deliver multiple country iTMS solutions...

And I'm sure Apple will offer non-credit card payment option too, since Japan is not quite a credit card society yet.

Anyhow, it will be very interesting to see the first non-US iTMS.

RalphNumbers
Nov 28, 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze

I *really* wish they would, but I kind of doubt they will sell japanese music on the US iTMS.

There would be a bunch of tax and legal hoops to jump thru, and they probably would assume there isn't enough of a market to bother.

They would assume incorrectly imho, foerign music has a proportionately big following amoung the same kind of people who are likely to get a mac and an iPod, and having such easy access to foreign music via the iTMS (no spending time and money importing CDs overseas) might be just the justification that some (like myself) need to spend a few hundred bucks on an iPod.

RalphNumbers
Nov 28, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by yamadataro
For those of you not familiar with Ginza area, it's like opening a computer store next to Prada on Madison Ave. in NYC.
Or on North Michigan Ave. in Chicago... Oh wait they allready have an Applestore there (the biggest in the US).
Apple seems to be trying to position thier stores in stylish areas, rather than amoung other computer stores.
A great idea for selling the brand, we'll see how well it works for selling actual products.

youngr40
Nov 28, 2003, 11:11 AM
UK UK UK UK UK
UK UK UK UK UK
UK UK UK UK UK

we want our store.....

zim
Nov 28, 2003, 11:17 AM
I would think that apple would add an international section to the iTMS. This section would allow us to browse the libraries of other countries, giving us the opportunity to purchase from a large diverse selection. This would simplify the what's new or just added idea, if you wanted to see what's new for Japan, you would go to the international section select Japan and browse away.

Having the music open to all would only bring benefits to the artist, broadening their audience. What I would really like to see is the elimination of Japanese only release and or US only releases. The only negative effect of having an international iTMS section is that it could possibly hurt the import of music cds, then again I only suspect that those overly priced imported cds are being sold to a small number of people.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 28, 2003, 11:32 AM
That does look like a nice store. I wonder how much the real estate is on that a month? I cannot believe Apple could make a profit. I will say that that isn't the point of the store though.

Hey Apple let's get Apple Store Fargo! We have the biggest and most traveled shopping area between Minneapolis and Seattle! West Acres would be perfect!

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 28, 2003, 11:33 AM
Oh, by the way this might just be me, but aren't women who work at Apple Stores so attractive! Maybe it is just the fact that they could be a mac fanatic too.

Bob Knob
Nov 28, 2003, 01:06 PM
Those two stores are responsible for close to 75% of all Apple computer sales in all of Japan.

Sorry, I could have worded that better... long day of turkey abuse took its toll, I even wrote LOX rather than LAOX. What I meant to say is that those two chains, not those two stores, are responsible for 75%
The second store I was thinking of may be Sofmap.
Nothing finer than spending the day checking out the latest in electronics and chowing down on okonomiyaki at the lunch counter in the department store :D

68k_575
Nov 28, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Brock
Why not Canada? Why not Canada?

+1 000 000

At least we're not clear across the Pacific like they are . . .
PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR NEIGHBOURS, DAMMIT!

*rant mode off*

jero
Nov 28, 2003, 07:44 PM
making apple products more accesible to the japanese is a smart thing to do. the store looks VERY nice.

kansaigaijin
Nov 28, 2003, 11:29 PM
yamadataro says

" Tokyo, the most confused city on the planet"

so it is hard to say what is the point of a store in Ginza, aand how that would translate to Hong Kong ( general unfocussed shopping des)

Apple and mac is very well represented by resellers in Japan, Sofmap. Bic, joshin, etc, all do a pretty good job, Sofmap even buys back and resells used stuff. More like a Mac museum. good fun but the wife says "don't buy gomi!"

anyway, there are lots of shops (yodobashi camera comes to mind) selling macs in Osaka. Osaka is even more unfocussed than Tokyo. I can;t think of anyplace like Ginza (concentrated high end go to shopping) in Osaka. it is all underground around the stations.

Maybe across from the Sony tower on the shinsaibashi arcade? wow! they could be right up there with glico man at the hikakke bashi.

typical osaka architecture:

kansaigaijin
Nov 28, 2003, 11:34 PM
was that incoherant or what?
(my post)

apple products are very accessible in Japan.

more Osaka;

kansaigaijin
Nov 28, 2003, 11:37 PM
osaka da!

pkradd
Nov 29, 2003, 01:29 PM
Each iTMS store will be specific to each country. Artists and labels are sometimes different from country to country as are royalties, song publishing rates, etc. To be specific, the Japanese store will only be for Japan. You won'ty be able to access it unless you have a Japanese credit card (same as restrictions to U.S. and forthcoming Canadian store). That's the way it is folks. It's not Apple's fault it's the nature of the music business.

Sabenth
Nov 29, 2003, 04:57 PM
heres a little thought what if the labels are planning too allow mass credit card use. This means once all itms serves around the world kick in one card for them all one card to rule them all .... That way you can go to any itms site in the world and get what ever you want.. but of course this wont happen because that means the lables have to think ...

hchaput
Nov 29, 2003, 05:39 PM
My friend is waiting in the rain for the Apple Store Tokyo to open. Here is a pic.

MacMarino
Nov 30, 2003, 12:31 AM
It was awesome! I loved. Got myself an Apple Ginza Store opening t-shirt too woo-hoo... Come and have a look at my pics if you like too...
http://homepage.mac.com/macmarino/PhotoAlbum32.html

:D MacMarino

Sabenth
Nov 30, 2003, 01:41 AM
I Like the look of the apple store in japan fantastic looking... i cant say nothing more thanx MacMarino for posting up some great pics

legacyb4
Nov 30, 2003, 07:25 AM
To say the least, the opening was simply astounding. Arriving 45 minutes prior to opening, I shocked to find that the line to get into the store stretched a good 10 Tokyo city blocks with the tail end of the line ending outside of Ginza and in the next neighborhood.

What was even more mind boggling was that after going for a long lunch and returning to pick up an item left at the Genius Bar, the line 6 hours later was still 4 blocks long...

Originally posted by hchaput
My friend is waiting in the rain for the Apple Store Tokyo to open. Here is a pic.

legacyb4
Nov 30, 2003, 08:57 AM
Enjoy:

Pics from the Ginza opening (unedited) (http://www.apexjapan.com/~jeffrey/as_web/)

Unedited and non-color corrected.

Cheers.

yamadataro
Nov 30, 2003, 08:59 AM
Here's a short interview with Steve Jobs on Asahi.com which was published online on Nov 27th.

http://www.asahi.com/business/update/1127/122.html

I'm not translating the whole article because of the copyrights and blah blah, but Jobs basically says that:

- Apple had been doing biz in Japan for 20 years now and he likes Japan. He wanted to start this Apple store biz model (which has been proved in the US market) in Japan before other markets around the world.

- By opening up a store in Ginza which is like "New York city", Jobs wants to let people know that Apple is serious about investing in Japanese market.

- Apple is plannning to open the second store in Osaka in the Fall of 2004. Multiple other stores in Tokyo and other cities in Japan are in the planning as well.

jero
Nov 30, 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by MacMarino
It was awesome! I loved. Got myself an Apple Ginza Store opening t-shirt too woo-hoo... Come and have a look at my pics if you like too...
http://homepage.mac.com/macmarino/PhotoAlbum32.html

:D MacMarino

feeling that shirt. nice.

aarond12
Dec 1, 2003, 01:18 AM
It was freakin' awesome! This Apple store is HUGE compared to the others I've visited. It was very convenient to schedule a business meeting in Singapore and be in Tokyo for the Apple store opening.

Right now, I'm waiting in Tokyo's Narita airport, dreading my 17 hour return flight. :)

-Aaron-

mproud
Dec 1, 2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by kansaigaijin
anyway, there are lots of shops (yodobashi camera comes to mind) selling macs in Osaka.Yeah, I've been to Yodobashi Camera! :D I was impressed the store had shoes in my size for my gaijin self!

But they had 28's! Rock on.

Anyway, check out the dual 2 GHz next time you're there - they have an iSight hooked up. I played with iChatAV on it by opening the video chat and took some pictures with a simple command+c :)

守口市ですんでる。 大阪がとてもいいだよ。 私は関西外大(枚方市)留学生です。

Never Never Never Surrender!
Go 阪神 タイガズ!
We'll get 'em next year! ;)

Counterfit
Dec 1, 2003, 01:53 PM
I love that about OS X, instead of seeing a lot of ?'s, I see the actual characters. Not that I can read them anyway...

ksz
Dec 1, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by aarond12
... It was very convenient to schedule a business meeting in Singapore and be in Tokyo for the Apple store opening.

Right now, I'm waiting in Tokyo's Narita airport, dreading my 17 hour return flight. :)

-Aaron-
As I recall, the nonstop AA and JAL flights take 11 hours on the inbound leg (jet stream) and 13 hours on the outbound. Then again, you might be connecting thru Atlanta!?!

Anyway, it's been several years since I strolled down Ginza Ave (always to visit the Sony showcase store), but I agree with Apple's choice. Some have suggested other more accessible stations, but whenever I wanted to visit the Sony store, it did not matter to me how accessible the street was. It was just a matter of navigating the Tokyo subway which I found to be a bit easier to do than some others such as the Paris Metro as I found out couple of months ago. (However, finding my intercity train at Ueno station...dreadful. That's one complicated mess of platforms and levels!)

I think the location of the Apple store is very apt given the brand image they want to cultivate. Those who want to go there will go there one way or another. Additionally, Ginza is generally a crowded street on weekends...no shortage of passers-by.

Sayhey
Dec 1, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by youngr40
UK UK UK UK UK
UK UK UK UK UK
UK UK UK UK UK

we want our store.....

As I posted before there is this rumor of a London store next year:

Regent Street - London, England - Amidst the construction and renovation of several stores, an alert passerby notes work that will eventually become Apple's second store outside the United States. Like Ginza (Tokyo), this section of Regent St. is London's elite shopping destination, and is home to many famous retailers.

link (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html)

Hope it is true.

legion
Dec 1, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
I love that about OS X, instead of seeing a lot of ?'s, I see the actual characters. Not that I can read them anyway...

looking at it on a winxp pro laptop and I also see the japanese characters... so what exactly is your point? modern OSs have no problem handling other languages than english.

Counterfit
Dec 1, 2003, 09:03 PM
Well, I was comparing it to OS 9, which would give me ?'s instead of characters. Having characters doesn't help me a darn bit, it just looks nicer.

Sunrunner
Dec 8, 2003, 06:09 AM
A download-to-cellphone service would be a popular feature in Japan... maybe Apple should work on a mobile version of their iTunes browser...

tokyotuds23
Jan 5, 2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by legacyb4
Enjoy:

Pics from the Ginza opening (unedited) (http://www.apexjapan.com/~jeffrey/as_web/)

Unedited and non-color corrected.

Cheers.

Unbelievably, that's me in the blue jacket getting my Ginza t-shirt!

http://www.apexjapan.com/~jeffrey/as_web/source/dscn9385.html

Domo!:eek: