Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Kevin Rose posted a video comment indicating that he had heard that there may be a low end $200 iPhone introduced alongside the 3G-capable iPhone that has been long rumored.

Kevin Rose was co-host of The Screen Savers on Tech TV and later started Digg.com. Other predictions of the new iPhone by Rose include 3G and front-sided camera.

Article Link

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Would be nice if they offered a 4gb iPhone, tad smaller and thinner, no 3G. £99 with contract, sweet.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Isn't this the same Kevin Rose who said before the iPhone came out that it would have 2 separate batteries and a slide-out keyboard?

It didn't turn out to be true, did it?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
If anything, this will probably be the original iPhone offered at a discount.

Unfortunately, in all of this pre-WWDC, too many people have their hopes up with a 3G iPhone among other countless expectations for Apple's upgrade. It seems to me that all of these expectations are just wishful thinking more than realistic ones. I can already see all of the negative votes of those whining and crying on June 9th when Apple delivers the announcement regarding the iPhone and it doesn't meet all of the rumors and speculation.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England

Unfortunately, in all of this pre-WWDC, too many people have their hopes up with a 3G iPhone among other countless expectations for Apple's upgrade. It seems to me that all of these expectations are just wishful thinking more than realistic ones. I can already see all of the negative votes of those whining and crying on June 9th when Apple delivers the announcement regarding the iPhone and it doesn't meet all of the rumors and speculation.

i know what you mean - but something nobody can dispute is that the 3g iphone will be announced at wwdc, its just when it will ship that no one knows

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
isn't this what the ipod touch is all about though? A cheap iPhone (without the phone :eek:)

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland

hehe, yeah will be hilarious. All the whining will make my day on the 9th. But let's see, I am in the game for a new phone.

isn't this what the ipod touch is all about though? A cheap iPhone (without the phone :eek:)

minus the camera, which is nice to have.

eisa01

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Norway
His track record is so good as well...
Uh, nope.
https://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/03/iphone-4gb-and-8gb-coming-in-january/
According to Rose, little bit of inside info on the Apple phone:

- Going to be coming out in January
- All phone providers
- "It's small as sh*t"
- Don't know anything about the Operating System
- The OS is supposed to be "cool"
- Doing some unique things
- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.
- 4GB ($249) and 8GB ($449)
- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard
- Maybe touch screen?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Well, this sounds to me more like it's going to be a cheap iPhone without the i.

As in it's not going to be the typical Apple product that's overflowing with great software and such that most people wouldn't think they need until they get their hands on it.

Apple wouldn't ever do that. They always give over the top stuff.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

has this guy ever been right? I don't get how some tech bloggers get press when they just make stuff up. Maybe I should be a tech blogger I'm in the silicon valley so I am sure I can find a bunch of gossip to write about :)

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

has this guy ever been right? I don't get how some tech bloggers get press when they just make stuff up. Maybe I should be a tech blogger I'm in the silicon valley so I am sure I can find a bunch of gossip to write about :)

I think he leaked a few hours before the first nano was released. Other than that, I think he has been batting .000

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
A low-end iPhone would be a huge hit for many that I know looking to get a new cell-phone

The price of the iPhone at the moment and especially during launch was just too much for friends/family of mine to come over to.

A cheap, stripped-down version would be a huge sell, imo. When I say huge sell, I don't think it will set any records but it would become a big hit for many looking to become a part of the iPhone cult at a price they can afford

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
hey I know that just like a lot of other people, Kevin's track record on various Apple rumors isn't very good. That shouldn't mean though that everyone should dogpile on them with ridicule. The more people do that, the less that ANYONE will ever want to share ANY rumor, for fear that they will be trashed on if it turns out not to be true. Everyone should just relax and take everything with a grain of salt, and encourage everyone to come forward if they hear something from any decent source.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
A low-end iPhone would be a huge hit for many that I know looking to get a new cell-phone

The price of the iPhone at the moment and especially during launch was just too much for friends/family of mine to come over to.

A cheap, stripped-down version would be a huge sell, imo. When I say huge sell, I don't think it will set any records but it would become a big hit for many looking to become a part of the iPhone cult at a price they can afford

Screw a low-end iPhone, what they need to do is let AT&T (and others) subsidize the cost. I have never bought the latest and greatest phone and had the pay full price.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
so would this be iPhone and iPhone Pro, or iPhone Nano and iPhone Classic?

Or iPod Touch Pro, and iPhone?

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island

Wow, that just flew right over your head, didn't it.

Apple would never put out a "low end product. that is y there is no MacBook under $1,000

Really? Is that y?

I don't know about you, but I think I prefer the current system, in which poor people go without iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.