PDA

View Full Version : mini questions

MacHappytjg
Jun 1, 2008, 05:54 PM
so i plan on getting a mini by chirstmas time (as my only gift and keyboard) anywhos somone told me there getting rid of the minis will they bbe gone by fall?:confused:

aaquib
Jun 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
That person doesn't know what he's talking about. There have been some rumours, primarily by Apple Insider stating that the Mac Mini is coming to its End of Life. That was, however, before August when the Mac Mini was updated. Recently, Apple Insider posted a retraction and are now spreading the word that a new one is coming:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/21/eating_our_words_apples_mac_mini_to_rock_on.html

Apple would make a ridiculous moving by killing the Mini. I can't imagine with all the potential switchers now, that they'd start their desktop PC's at $1200. It doesn't make sense. Like Apple Insider states: Mac Mini to Rock on.

MacHappytjg
Jun 1, 2008, 07:47 PM
That person doesn't know what he's talking about. There have been some rumours, primarily by Apple Insider stating that the Mac Mini is coming to its End of Life. That was, however, before August when the Mac Mini was updated. Now, however, Apple Insider has posted a retraction and are now spreading the word that a new one is coming:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/21/eating_our_words_apples_mac_mini_to_rock_on.html

Apple would make a ridiculous moving by killing the Mini. I can't imagine with all the potential switchers now, that they'd start their desktop PC's at $1200. It doesn't make sense. Like Apple Insider states: Mac Mini to Rock on.

ok good but whens the next update? is it on the site lol w.e im looking at it now, so are those the new specs there upgrading from the current ones? if so thats awsome

aaquib
Jun 1, 2008, 07:54 PM
ok good but whens the next update? is it on the site lol w.e im looking at it now, so are those the new specs there upgrading from the current ones? if so thats awsome Those are what Apple Insider believes to me the new specs of the updated Mini's. There is no confirmation from Apple for any of that, but its very much expected. Since Apple hasn't confirmed any of that, there is also no specified date. But I think its safe to say the Mini's will be updated before back to school in September.

MacHappytjg
Jun 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
Those are what Apple Insider believes to me the new specs of the updated Mini's. There is no confirmation from Apple for any of that, but its very much expected. Since Apple hasn't confirmed any of that, there is also no specified date. But I think its safe to say the Mini's will be updated before back to school in September.

thats good if i find myself a job i might even get it before Christmas possibly in september when they come out with the new ones if they will.

thanks for updating me

MacFanatic08
Jun 1, 2008, 08:09 PM
When you get the mini, enjoy it! It's a great machine! :D

MacHappytjg
Jun 1, 2008, 08:16 PM
When you get the mini, enjoy it! It's a great machine! :D

its just to bad i have to buy a monitor along with it but i could probably afford it

tuc
Jun 2, 2008, 05:44 PM
its just to bad i have to buy a monitor along with it but i could probably afford it

People are giving away CRT dispays these days. If you look you can
probably get a nice 19" one for no cost via something like craigslist.

---

While I'm here, let me mention something Mini-related that I find
weird. I bought a current low-end Mini, MB138LL/A, from Micro
Center for one set of parents. Then I bought a refurbished current
low-end Mini, FB138LL/A, from the Apple store online for the other
set of parents. I upgraded both machines to 2.5GB of RAM and ran
all the software updates.

Here's the weird part. The refurbished one seems a bit sluggish
compared to the other one, even though they should be exactly
the same. It does more beach-balling when web surfing in Safari,
for example. Is there a chance the refurbished one could somehow
be defective? I can't explain it.

MacHappytjg
Jun 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
People are giving away CRT dispays these days. If you look you can
probably get a nice 19" one for no cost via something like craigslist.

---

While I'm here, let me mention something Mini-related that I find
weird. I bought a current low-end Mini, MB138LL/A, from Micro
Center for one set of parents. Then I bought a refurbished current
low-end Mini, FB138LL/A, from the Apple store online for the other
set of parents. I upgraded both machines to 2.5GB of RAM and ran
all the software updates.

Here's the weird part. The refurbished one seems a bit sluggish
compared to the other one, even though they should be exactly
the same. It does more beach-balling when web surfing in Safari,
for example. I Is there a chance the refurbished one could somehow
be defective? I can't explain it.

yea im probably going to get a new one anyway and do u think the high end will be the low end in fall? but yea im no a huge fan of crt as im using a flat one now on my emac there just so huge and such but if it comes to that i could pick one up for $10 a flat i see them too even some lcds are cheap under $100 i see or i can grab one from my teacher he has lots so much they have to go under the tables :p

xxjuicymintxx
Jun 2, 2008, 08:50 PM
The cost of a mini these days is pretty decent. Putting a low-cost LCD screen would be pretty cheap as well, and the savings in the end weigh out immensely.