Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pork917

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
Yea, subject is pretty descriptive hehe. I just bought my first mac about a few weeks ago (besides my iPhone), and suffice to say I love it and could definitely never seeing myself go back to windows.

Now the problem im having is my keys seem to get oily/greasy spots all over them. I have ordered a moshi palmguard which I think works great, but obviously doesnt protect the keys. My main concern is the spacebar has 2 blotches where my thumbs usually rest. Ive been using this LCD cleaner/microfiber kit I have as its the most gently solution I have around the house to clean with. It works pretty good but I cant seem to get those spots off. Im just wondering what type of liquids I could use to clean this off, as im a little scared to use stronger stuff as I dont want to ruin the black or the keyboard.

Also anyone recommend the iSkin keyboard cover? Just wondering how it feels. I love my moshi, the only thing I dont use on it is the trackpad cover.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've been using iKlear since 2007, b/c it cleans and polishes. I don't actually spray iKlear on the MB, so I spray it on the microfiber cloth and then finish it off with the polishing cloth. Keep a can of Gas Duster to spray in between the keys and the hinges. I keep the foam cloth that came with my BlackBook between the keyboard and the screen to prevent scratches as I'd had with previous MacBooks. Just keep at the keys with iKlear and you'll be OK.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I use a ScreensavRz from RadTech.US between my kbd and screen while the BlackBook is closed, and to clean the keys, I just spray some Monster Screen Cleaner right on the keys and polish it off, not in excessive quantity though. No problems what so ever and been doing it almost 5 months.

pork917

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
I use a ScreensavRz from RadTech.US between my kbd and screen while the BlackBook is closed, and to clean the keys, I just spray some Monster Screen Cleaner right on the keys and polish it off, not in excessive quantity though. No problems what so ever and been doing it almost 5 months.

Monster Screen is what I use but it isnt taking off the 2 spots on the spacebar :(

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Monster Screen is what I use but it isnt taking off the 2 spots on the spacebar :(

tried spraying it on there directly? I know you may not be comfortable with it, but it worked for me and it cleans up our displays from where customers have been touching on them at work. Little ScreenClean and some rubbing should do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.