Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Beginning of may, I order an air on ebay. To good to be true for 1530 shipped and the dude ripped me off. :confused:SOOO finally said screw it last night and I ordered the refurbished air last night on may 30. Total came to 1667.30 i think. I'll give updates as I use the air. The only email I got from apple is a confirmation but it states expected arrival with regular shipping will be june 4-9th. This will be my only computer when I go back to grad school. :apple:

So far I experimented on my old macbook and can live with a wireless setup with my media being on a airport extreme in an external drive. So my large 90gb itunes will be on the airport extreme while I can leave my music as I have a 16gb iphone when I am at the library for example. Cool setup imo, I'll probably leave my iphoto in the external as well. :p I am debating whether to stick with my external attached to the extreme or buy a portable hd so that I can take it with my much easier when I visit home.

I am also debating whether or not I should buy the external superdrive. I am watching a couple of ebay listings to see if I can score a deal. Not worth it right now for 100 at the apple store, but doable at 60, which can be had on ebay. The only reason why I may buy the superdrive is to import dvds to my itunes library (though not sure how much I'll do that when I'm away for school), and dvd watching. I've burned maybe 3 dvd in the last 2 years with my macbook pro and regular macbook for data, and with usb drives and external hd, I don't use that method of keeping achived data.

Primary uses will be writing reports and my masters thesis :), itunes, lite iphoto, email, research. Portability will be super important as I intend to write on campus.

Can't wait for it :eek:

stakis

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
sucks about the whole ebay thing.... did you at least get any insurance or anything through paypal or ebay?

anyways, you'll love the MBA... I'd recommend leaving the HD behind, maybe store a small selection of music that you listen to on the MBA HD, and then use the remote access setup that is outlined as a sticky on this forum... I've been doing it like that for the last 4 months and can't be happier.

As for the Superdrive... I bought it and used it 3 times in 5 months, but on those three occasions I said to myself, MAN... its a good thing I bought this.

It doesn't hurt to have it... especially if you can get a good deal off ebay... but I'm surprised that you're willing to try ebay again after your first experience.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
you know when something is too good to be true...

I broke my rule and bid on someone with weak feedback. He had like 49 ratings and no items rated in the last few months. I've been ebaying for 8 years and this was the first time. I could have bid on more reputable sellers and should have ah well. I paid by credit card so I'm disputing it with ebay/paypal as well as my credit card so hopefully everything will be fine. It should be I have documented emails stating this guy is a fraud.

Ill try the remote access thing but I really would like to keep distractions like iTunes from my computer when I not at home.

stakis

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
I know exactly what you're talking about,

I had the same thing happen to me on ebay with a cell phone... it was a 600 dollar hit that I couldn't get any insurance on... it was pretty bad, and I knew it was fishy, but the thought of getting that cell phone at that price was enough for me to take the chance on.

anyways, best of luck with your new computer.... I'm sure you'll love it....

oh, and good luck switching to any other laptop after having it! I know I'm screwed...

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
yeah Just got the air! Finally after 2 failed ups delivery. Now reinstalling remote disc and doing a software reinstall to erase unneeded programs :D

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

welcome to the club :)

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
uhh

Can i please apply for the job that allows you to
a) Buy one computer on ebay and get ripped off
b) Go off and buy another one a month later

seriously, where do you people get this kinda money?!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I sold my old computer plus the 600 tax credit = macbook air, refurbished. So no, I did not buy this on credit. I payed off all credit card bills actually. I am awaiting for my credit card company to go through the process of disputing the charges that the ebayer ripped me off. Just awaiting the affidavit then they'll re-credit my account. I'm canceling my paypal account after all of this is settled.

Oh, 60% done with the new computer migration. Just need to add my old iphoto library. I reinstalled the os after removing the language and printer drivers in the guide on this website. Add the fact that I am storing my media to an external means that I still have 59gb of memory left.

I am looking forward when faster mini harddrives comes out. I'm looking to change the HD to something faster, maybe when the warranty runs out a year from now.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Ahh so that is a core shutdown. I experienced my first and it seems to be shutting down a core. Just to confirm under the CPU usage, when one bar is blank and another is red/green bars filled, that is a core shutdown right?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yes. That is a core shutdown. It comes on randomly for me. Sometimes its predictible where if I were to push the system, it'll shut down a core. Other times, it just shuts down randomly? I don't understand why. 10.5.3 has made it worse for me however including a cpu term when i was just surfing the net through firefox, causing the system to shutdown

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Notice the temps are pretty fine at around 2800 rpms while syncing the iphone and interwebbing. When I play vids, that is when the fans spin up... However I've noticed that the computer seems cooler than the Airs I test drove at the Apple Store and Best Buy where the left palm rest was warm. Right now it is cool with the fans at the 2500-2800. Overall happy with the temps. Not sure how much this core temp shut down will play out. I will take it to apple if it continues. I am updated in terms of the OS so I am at 10.5.3 so the other airs were pre-10.5.3.

The screen really is beautiful. The LCD is very clear regardless of the angle. Battery life has been okay but I have not put it through the paces. I love the multitouch... It make web browsing very pleasant with the swipes to move back and forth, as well as pinching and expanding to focus on the text.

For a refurbished Air, you can't tell it is ever been in someone elses hands other than me. No scratches anywhere that can be detected, and the battery has 7 cycles. I have not had it run out of battery so I am thinking perhaps that was the previous owner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.