PDA

View Full Version : iPodsDirtySecret authors not interested in Truth? An email ...

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2003, 02:43 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: iPodsDirtySecret authors not interested in Truth? An email transcript exchange. (http://das.doit.wisc.edu/neistatsdirtysecret.txt)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

celaurie
Nov 28, 2003, 02:58 AM
Some people just like rattling the saber and then running off to watch the ensuing battle.

Blaaze
Nov 28, 2003, 06:40 AM
Wow. go server-dude Dave. He handled the situation quite well. Talk about the crummy people at ipodsdirtysecret. a big F you to them:mad:

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 08:18 AM
Sounds like all they cared about is spreading lies about the iPod.

SilvorX
Nov 28, 2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Sounds like all they cared about is spreading lies about the iPod.
yep, all they need now is to go way over on bandwidth to show them whos boss

Mr.Hey
Nov 28, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Blaaze
Wow. go server-dude Dave. He handled the situation quite well. Talk about the crummy people at ipodsdirtysecret. a big F you to them:mad:

Yup. I'll do my part to spread the word....but

I can understand being upset with Apple after being told that an eighteen month iPod and its defective battery will cost me about the same to replace as a new iPod and their solution to my problem is to just simply "buy a new iPod instead" is a load of *********!!!. They offered no discount or truly helpful assistance when the original one was obviously defective and caused (a lot?) aggravation and distress. They should have tried harder to help this person (one never knows when one might find themselves in a similar situation).

But if the condition that you found yourself in has change, you have the responsibility to report all the facts and information for the sake of truth and also for helping others who could be in the same predicament. This received a lot of attention and publicity and they could have succeeded in getting their point across and at the same time shown the improvements Apple made to their policy. But they didn't and missed out on a great opportunity and in turn are now being despised by the same community they thought they were protecting.

I found this on macsurfer.com
Macdirectory interviews the brothers (http://www.macdirectory.com/4u/wire.fm$retrieve?value=4011650&field=serial&html=wirelessdetail.html). Seems like a bunch of lies to me.

tazo
Nov 28, 2003, 11:10 AM
good for that dave guy. Hope he took the mirror offline for good!

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 11:57 AM
I've already started spreading the word. I've hit two iPod sites already because I think folks should know how these two are doing business.

LethalWolfe
Nov 28, 2003, 12:31 PM
It's interesting how far this has spread and what the general reaction has been.

This is/was all over PC forums too and, from what I've seen, the video created more negative feelings towards the brothers than towards Apple or the iPod. Not because they disagreed w/what the brothers were saying, but because of how they were saying it. Kinda like how violent protests usually work against the protesters because people focus on their actions and don't pay attention to their message.

Lethal

ITR 81
Nov 28, 2003, 01:21 PM
This site been posted everywhere even on car forums and such.
I figure when they get to car forums they have pretty much reached everyone.

But most folks don't like the fact what they are saying is untrue and either should be corrected or they should give viewers links to battery options.

McToast
Nov 28, 2003, 06:55 PM
Their video sucks, and the music they used is crap.

My opinion anyway.

zellin
Nov 29, 2003, 10:11 PM
Here it is, submitted to MacBytes:
http://homepage.mac.com/zellin/An_Open_Letter/An%20Open%20Letter%20to%20the%20Cre.htm

McToast
Nov 30, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by zellin
Here it is, submitted to MacBytes:
http://homepage.mac.com/zellin/An_Open_Letter/An%20Open%20Letter%20to%20the%20Cre.htm

These two wanks just want attention. They are hoping they will become celebrities or direct films one day. They want Hollywood or recognition in the Indie Film Community ultimately. Ultimately they just want to become famous and hopefully rich. I'm sure they dream of Sundance etc.

Well screw them. Their little escapade has backfired on them and the Mac community is aggrivated with them. All they've done is alienated themselves.

zellin
Nov 30, 2003, 02:27 PM
How was it necessary for you to quote me?

McToast
Nov 30, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by zellin
How was it necessary for you to quote me?

Because I was responding after I read the letter you wrote, why? Does this bother you?

zellin
Nov 30, 2003, 02:33 PM
No, it is not a problem. I just didn't see the connection between your post and mine.

MrMacMan
Nov 30, 2003, 03:28 PM
They got away with bandwidth stealing.

Ah well.

Good Job stealing!

Sayhey
Dec 1, 2003, 03:20 PM
edit: pays to read the links to the first post. Nevermind.

zellin
Dec 1, 2003, 03:24 PM
Score one for the good guys!

machinehien
Dec 2, 2003, 10:47 AM
this whole incident has got to be one of the most transparent piece of self promotion I have had the misfortune to come across in a long time. Thanks guys, you have completely turned me off of guerilla art tactics and introduced a whole new level of cynicism to the mac community.

crees!
Jan 4, 2004, 12:00 PM
Not to mention the $250 replacement fee they were quoted was probably because their iPod was out of warranty. Besides they said they had a 1st Gen iPod and its battery only lasted 18 months... then how is it that it lasted that long since the iPod was released over 2 years ago? Maybe it just took them a long time to make the video ;)

zellin
Jan 4, 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by crees!
Not to mention the $250 replacement fee they were quoted was probably because their iPod was out of warranty. Besides they said they had a 1st Gen iPod and its battery only lasted 18 months... then how is it that it lasted that long since the iPod was released over 2 years ago? Maybe it just took them a long time to make the video ;)
Or maybe they didn't get an iPod the day it came out... :o