Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
im selling my ibook (not on the forums) and im wondering if there is a quick way to delete all music, video, picture, and document files?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
You can stick in the OS X disc that came with your iBook and do an Erase and Install. That would bring the machine back to the factory settings when it was purchased.

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
i dont have the disc that came with the computer, but i do have a copy of 10.5 leopard, will this work?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
i dont have the disc that came with the computer, but i do have a copy of 10.5 leopard, will this work?

That will work for the OS but the machine won't have iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand) unless you back those up and re-load them off your backup.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
im selling my ibook (not on the forums) and im wondering if there is a quick way to delete all music, video, picture, and document files?

You can (although 7pass format is better) create another admin account, then delete the other user and check the option to delete the home directory which would delete most of the things you mentioned.

jfsrulz

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Emac Resetting

I am a teacher at a school with an Emac lab. I've been wanting to reset the machines to their original factory settings. I've tried doing it before with one computer at a time. It was very time consuming. Can it be done using one network computer so that all the Macs can be reset?

If not, which one of the CD's that came with the computers should I use to do it individually? About 20 CD's came with the computers, and I don't know which one is the proper CD to use for this (doing the factory settings).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.