Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iggy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Bournemouth, UK
Hey everybody. I got me some problems: If I try to launch Help, it quits straight away without any sign of a window or anything.
Sometimes, when I'm downloading large files, the program that's downloading freezes up and doesn't even quit with force quit, the computer can't restart and no other programs can access the internet so I have no other option than to hold the power button until it turns off, which I don't like doing.
I am running OSX10.3.1 upgraded from 10.2.8 on a 1GHz 17"iMac. Anyone help/having similar problems? Cheers!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I have a 1 GHz FP iMac and I haven't had any of these problems. What I would do is back everything up, and then totally wipr out your hard drive and do a clean install of Mac OS X.3 then upgrade to X.3.1. If you did just an upgrade from OS X.2.8 to X.3.1, did you repair the permissions before you did the upgrade? If not then that is probably where your problem is. Therefore I would still wipe your system out and do a clean install of Panther.

Iggy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Bournemouth, UK
yeah i just put the disk in and pressed upgrade. I was considering wiping and clean installing but the only way i could do it is to fork out for some dvdr's. Unless I back up onto my friends Powerbook. Any idea how this is done? Is it just a case of copy and paste on the powerbook end?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Yes, you can back up on your friends PowerBook. There are two main ways...using Ethernet or using FireWire. I'll tell you about the FireWire way(s) first. If your friends powerbook as FireWire connect the two together and then boot the iMac up and hold the "T" key down. This should boot the iMac up in what is called Target Bootdisk Mode and your hard drive should appear on your friends PowerBook. You can also use IP over FireWire if your both running Mac OS X.3.

The ethernet way is to just take a straight patch cable and connect the two together with that. (On newer Macs you can just use a regular patch cable to connect two Macs together so you don't need a Crossover Cable, unless the PowerBook is too old)Then just make sure your both on the same subnet and you should be able to connect to the iMac on the PowerBook.

You can also back your stuff up on DVDs too, but its much quicker to back something up on another hard drive or another computer.

I would just make a folder on the PowerBook and put everything you want to back up in that folder. I would back up things like:

YOUR library folder which is inside your Home folder, any non-replaceable applications, Documents, movies, music, picures. If you backup the library folder that is in your home folder then you already have things like your Bookmarks, spelling words, mail mailboxes, etc.. Then when you think you have everything you need back on your iMac after the clean installation...just throw out that library folder on the PowerBook.

Good Luck! If you have any other questions...please feel free to post back.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Fixing an error here....

When you boot holding the "T" key down its booting into Target Disk Mode not Target Bootdisk Mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.