Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberjason

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Woodbury, MN
WTF apple, part of the reason I pay my 99 per year is to have a .mac email address. ME? makes me think of that S**ty Windows Millennium edition. If apple makes me change my email address to .me, they lost my 99 per year. :mad:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I doubt they'll remove the .mac email addresses, it would be too much of an inconvenience.

indeed. especially for those who have it set up already. they'd have to redirect/forward all the email.

renaming the service? fine.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
$99/year for an e-mail service that doesn't work = really %$@!# me off. :mad:
Plus Web Site Hosting, 10 Gigs of space (shared space with you email and web page), Ability to sync multiple computers with same Contacts, Calendars, Mail Setups, Mail Rules, Keychains, Dashboard Widgets, Dock Items, Notes, Preferences, and Bookmarks for Safari. Also now have Back to My Mac. $99 doesn't sound so bad if you have more than one Mac, but does seem pointless if you only have one Mac since you don't benefit from the syncing.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
I like the .mac name too.

.me sounds... too casual. Not sure why I don't like it. It just sounds unprofessional.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If they rename the service, I'd hedge my bets that they'll certainly keep the @mac.com addresses. They'd be insane to drop them. I imagine you'll be able to email yourself by you@mac.com or you@me.com and both would drop in to the same mailbox. One would effectively just be made an alias against the other.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I'm thinking its an upgrade to Hosting of .Mac. Maybe make it into a thing that is close to being a blog thing by allowing the uploads and markings of pictures to certain GPS locations. Stuff like that that would extend what is currently offered to add the iPhone as an input device, and remove the homepage.mac.com/username. Maybe make it username.me.com

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I don't think they will get rid of the .mac address -- it wouldn't make any sense. Changing an email address is worse than changing your physical address -- Apple isn't that dumb.

I think that the me.com stuff will just be a facelift for .mac, but the email addresses will remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.