PDA

View Full Version : Note on QTFairUse (which breaks iTunes Music Store DRM) and ...

MacBytes
Nov 28, 2003, 03:12 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Note on QTFairUse (which cirumvents iTunes Music Store DRM) and what it means for Apple. (http://www.geekpatrol.ca/archives/2003/11/28/qtfairuse.php)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

gerardrj
Nov 28, 2003, 04:33 PM
QTFairUse doesn't actually break the FairPlay scheme. Instead, it circumvents it by patching QuickTime to dump the unprotected audio stream fro memory to disk.

How can they write that headline when it is directly refuted by the second paragraph of the actual story?

iMeowbot
Nov 28, 2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by gerardrj
How can they write that headline when it is directly refuted by the second paragraph of the actual story?

Good question. I've been seeing the same misinformation printed enough times (the DRM isn't really broken/the files aren't playable/it's difficult to add the headers) that it's beginning to look a bit more like a disinformation campaign. Sheesh.

Chealion
Nov 29, 2003, 06:32 AM
Reading the article, the title is QTFairUse. The title/summary put on as the link for MacBytes is wrong and conradicts the article. So you guys are complaining about the wrong headline.

Mudbug
Nov 29, 2003, 10:18 AM
I fixed the headline...
sorry :)

iMeowbot
Nov 29, 2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Chealion
Reading the article, the title is QTFairUse. The title/summary put on as the link for MacBytes is wrong and conradicts the article. So you guys are complaining about the wrong headline.

Nah, the BS is in the linked article: "QTFairUse isn't mature enough to make making DRM-free versions of music easy and straightforward." It took about as long to compile faad2 as it did to write a bulk ripping script.

MrMacMan
Nov 29, 2003, 10:30 PM
Look all you need to know is that you can Copy Sound and make a new file.

Thats all this does.

Anyone can do that.

This makes it easier well good I suppose.

Look, it can be done, apple can't do anything about it.