Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unknown87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
My Pentax ME super has been giving me some real problems. Basically, the exposure mode dial is stuck on 'auto' and I can't shift it to any other mode. Does anyone know what I can do?! I'm at a real loss... The auto mode is alright (basically aperture priority) but I miss my manual setting!

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
Does this help? --

http://mcfaddenphoto.com/camera_manuals/img/me-s_10.jpg

Full manual here -- http://mcfaddenphoto.com/camera_manuals/me-s_man.htm

I have an ME at home, but not the Super edition -- the ME lacks the manual setting. It's a nice little camera, but if the dial is broken, it might be cheaper to get it replaced rather than serviced at this point. There are bodies that offer you a little more control, which can be found pretty inexpensively on the used market.

I've got a couple KX bodies (sadly, the meters no longer function in either of them) that offer full shutter control. Quickly browsing KEH shows that you can get a "bargain" ZX-M for around $50 or so. And you always have the eBay option - just make sure you pick up a body that offers full control.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My Pentax ME super has been giving me some real problems. Basically, the exposure mode dial is stuck on 'auto' and I can't shift it to any other mode. Does anyone know what I can do?! I'm at a real loss... The auto mode is alright (basically aperture priority) but I miss my manual setting!

Are you sure it's not something so simple as the need to push or lift up on the dial to make it unlock? Or push a release to make it unlock? If it really is stuck repair cost runs around $100 to disasemble and clean a camera. Cheaper to replace the camera body with a used model. Local camera shops may have the best deals. Just ask for a low-end "Pentax Mount" and they may have an old Sears brand camera for $35 that is a K1000 copy. There a milions of them out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.