Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
MI
This is my first attempt at a website for my detailing business. It looks how I want it to look like in firefox, opera and IE, but in safari the font looks horrible. I do not know why but the font looks like it's bolded.

The true font is what appears under Quality and Eco-Friendly and it appears correct in certain sections. It is correct only because it is a graphic currently for an example. Should I just do this to keep my site consistent throughout or is there another way to fix it entirely?

site is:

http://www.michianadetail.com

FYI: my source code is a mess right now, working on it as well but need more help with fixing this font problem.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I don't understand, both Firefox and Safari look the same... both Verdana font...

...unless of course you're being REALLY picky in that Safari ALWAYS looks different, just because it always is with fonts.

dtyson

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
I'm not understanding where the problem is. The font looks fine to me. It's a nice looking page.

I'm rather blown away by the number of spans and line breaks you've used. The code would be a lot more light-weight if you'd use paragraph tags and style as desired. You'd achieve the same end with a lot less coding. There just seems to be a lot of "over-coding"...

Again, nice looking page. I like the gradient on the words Email and Phone being offset or contrasted by the solid info text (email address and phone number). It's a nice effect.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nope, the other browsers in windows sharpens the font.

It's all about the anti-alias. Windows uses a setting which feigns the "sharp" font look but it's inaccurate in terms of graphic design perspective. Safari uses proper anti-alias which to those used to windows, look wrong, but in reality is the correct way to view the font.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Thanks for the answers and feedback, I'm working on optimizing the coding since i was just going for looks first, thanks for the explanation on why the other browsers sharpen the text.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If you want to read a detailed explanation, this blog post and this followup explain quite clearly what's going on. Bottom line being they're both "right," it just depends on whether crispness or letter shape is the preference, as said.

I thought it was interesting, and it explains to me why I always think text on Windows looks "ugly" while a lot of Windows users think Mac text looks "blurry."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.