Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes, but it's a crappy drive; I just RMA'd mine; failed second day; it's cheaper because it uses MLC.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Yes, but it's a crappy drive; I just RMA'd mine; failed second day; it's cheaper because it uses MLC.

Would you say that is par for the course with all Super Talent drives? I was considering upgrading my Macbook Pro with a Super Talent 256GB drive.

Marc4

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Is it not possible that the MBA's motherboard does have a SATA port, but Apple chose to use a PATA interface for its first-gen SSD model due to initial cost?
I thought I read on here that someone had found the SATA controller and unused female port... so now that SATA-enabled SSD drives are cheaper, it would make more sense for Apple to use those in future MBA revisions, no?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Would you say that is par for the course with all Super Talent drives? I was considering upgrading my Macbook Pro with a Super Talent 256GB drive.

Well apart from the 256MB drive being $6000? Yeah that's good drive. Well you have to reach the description on the Super Talent website before you buy it; I didn't; you do not want MLC drives; they are cheaper, but they are not built to last.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Is it not possible that the MBA's motherboard does have a SATA port, but Apple chose to use a PATA interface for its first-gen SSD model due to initial cost?
I thought I read on here that someone had found the SATA controller and unused female port... so now that SATA-enabled SSD drives are cheaper, it would make more sense for Apple to use those in future MBA revisions, no?

This is simple to test. Somebody open up system profiler on their MBA and see if there's anything listed under SATA. If there's a message saying there aren't any SATA devices, the MBA doesn't have one.

Oh, and OP, it's the right size, but not the right connection. Maybe next revision.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
This is simple to test. Somebody open up system profiler on their MBA and see if there's anything listed under SATA. If there's a message saying there aren't any SATA devices, the MBA doesn't have one.

Oh, and OP, it's the right size, but not the right connection. Maybe next revision.

"This system does not contain any Serial-ATA devices. If you have any Serial-ATA adapters installed, please check that they are seated properly and that any devices, hubs, or switches are powered on and properly cabled."

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
"This system does not contain any Serial-ATA devices. If you have any Serial-ATA adapters installed, please check that they are seated properly and that any devices, hubs, or switches are powered on and properly cabled."

Yep, that's the message I got on my PowerBook, while my Mac Pro is happy to tell me about its spare SATA ports. Therefore, the MBA does not have SATA anywhere within it.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

I was actually looking at this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609304

I'm not clear on the different types at the moment. I have not done much reading on SSD technology, but I would read considerably more before actually buying one.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Therefore, the MBA does not have SATA anywhere within it.
I don't believe it's that simple. The MacBook Air uses an Intel I/O Controller Hub 8 (ICH-8) chip, which definitely contains a SATA interface. And, right next to that chip is a curiously SATA-ish connector that remains a little bit of a mystery. Some discussion here.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I don't believe it's that simple. The MacBook Air uses an Intel I/O Controller Hub 8 (ICH-8) chip, which definitely contains a SATA interface. And, right next to that chip is a curiously SATA-ish connector that remains a little bit of a mystery. Some discussion here.

Now is this just pins or is there a legit port? i.e something we can use without a soldering iron.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Now is this just pins or is there a legit port?

The mysterious port next to the southbridge IC that contains a SATA controller:

shapeimage_4.jpg

Above from John Maushammer's MacBook Air Hacking - USB Ports page.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was actually looking at this drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609304

I'm not clear on the different types at the moment. I have not done much reading on SSD technology, but I would read considerably more before actually buying one.

Different speed
Slower than laptop HD = least expensive, but still costs more than laptop HD
Similar to laptop HD speed = more expensive
Faster speed than desktop drives = premium pricing, only for professionals or those with deep wallet.

SSD drives posted by OP and you are in the first category.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Different speed
Slower than laptop HD = least expensive, but still costs more than laptop HD
Similar to laptop HD speed = more expensive
Faster speed than desktop drives = premium pricing, only for professionals or those with deep wallet.

SSD drives posted by OP and you are in the first category.

Are there any of the "Faster speed than desktop drives" category currently available via retailers like Newegg.com that would speed up a Macbook Pro an appropriate amount and would the Macbook Pro actually be able to take advantage of it? (Mid 2007 Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Merom with Santa Rosa)

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
A good find, but not SATA. SATA is 7 data + 9 power (4 power, 5 ground; why SATA is hot-pluggable). That port looks to have 32 pins.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. It's a mysterious port with unknown purpose, sitting directly next to an Intel ICH-8 chip that contains a SATA controller.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Are there any of the "Faster speed than desktop drives" category currently available via retailers like Newegg.com that would speed up a Macbook Pro an appropriate amount and would the Macbook Pro actually be able to take advantage of it? (Mid 2007 Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Merom with Santa Rosa)

Yeah SSDs with SLC; For example the Mitron 128GB SSD

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah SSDs with SLC; For example the Mitron 128GB SSD

Which retailer is it available at? I've contacted our suppliers about it and I've also searched Google without any luck at finding the pricing or availability.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
That is because it is called "mtron" not "mitron". He made a typo.

I can definitely see the speed, but I have to agree with Engadget after checking with our suppliers. I'll be sticking with platters for now. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.