Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
I have a 19' Princeton monitor, it is giving me some problems. First off I can't get anything unless I hold the power button down which I imagine I am charging it up to show a picture, then when i get one its like curved in on the sides and I have tried the board controls and nothing, the picture is great but I wana fix these two problems, can anyone help? Thanks

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Monitor Woes

Originally posted by TiMacLover
I have a 19' Princeton monitor, it is giving me some problems. First off I can't get anything unless I hold the power button down which I imagine I am charging it up to show a picture, then when i get one its like curved in on the sides and I have tried the board controls and nothing, the picture is great but I wana fix these two problems, can anyone help? Thanks
1) What do you mean by "can't get anything?"

2) In regards to the picture curving in on the sides, I'm assuming you've tried adjusting your monitor's pincushion controls? They would be in the same place as the rest of the controls (rotation, trapezoid, position, parallelogram, etc.) Barring that, is your monitor under warranty? Princeton should have a 1-800 number, maybe... good luck,

Alex

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Monitor Woes

How old is the monitor?? If it is over 3 years, you can most likely forget about any warranty repairs for it. How much did you spend on it?? Do you leave the monitor off when you turn off the computer, or have you left it on all the time? Leaving it on constantly will wear out the power supply inside it faster then leaving it off when not in use. I know from experience, that ViewSonic monitors last a long time. Sony ones do as well. I prefer to have non-Trinitron screens, but that is me. Either that or LCD's, which are the cream of the crop when it comes to monitors.

If your monitor is still under warranty, then call on it. Otherwise, I suggest chucking it and getting either a ViewSonic or Sony. DO NOT go for a cheap brand, no matter what they say are in them for tubes. If you have the spare $$, get an LCD.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
(Forgive AlphaTech's inane comment - he means well...) Your monitor certainly sounds broken. You could try calling an electronics/television repair shop - computer CRTs have much in common with ordinary televisions, and usually a place like this will be able to fix things for much less than it would cost to buy a new monitor, or probably even a used one. (If that weren't the case, they wouldn't be in business. :) ) Good luck,

Alex

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Get a price quote for repairs before considering it. Be aware, that you might be taking the monitor for repairs often after the first one. You would do MUCH better by getting a new (and good branded) monitor. It's also less hassle, and you won't have to wait however long they take to repair the monitor.

You CAN purchase a BRAND NEW Sony or ViewSonic 19" screen for about $300 (from Best Buy of all places). http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11089110&m=488&cat=497&scat=500

If you really have your heart set on getting your old monitor repaired, find out from the manufacturer if there are any authorized repair centers in your area. They are authorized for a reason (they meet the requirements of the monitor maker to make quality repairs and not screw the customer).

With the 19" ViewSonic being under $300 (after the rebate, $280), you need to decide how much your old monitor is worth to you. You could take it for repairs this month, and have a different part blow next month (if DOES happen), then you will have to shell out more money to get it repaired again. A simple tv repair typically runs over $100. When you are talking about a $600+ tv set, then it is worth it, not when you are talking about a monitor you can replace for under $300.

Hey alex... you want to suck my what??? Sorry, only women are allowed there.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
I wouldn't pay $300 for a monitor, I can get a good graphite 17" instead, CRT's are a lot better and give a better picture than LCD's.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
CRT's are a lot better and give a better picture than LCD's.

That's subjective and depends on the task...

I much prefer LCDs for flicker-free display and sharp text.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
I wouldn't pay $300 for a monitor, I can get a good graphite 17" instead, CRT's are a lot better and give a better picture than LCD's.

CRT's are a lot better and give a better picture than LCD's? what are you talking about? have you even seen the new LCD moniters? hey, here's a good idea, go to a store, have a look at the LCD moniters. Notice how bright they are? good. now go to the old CRT section and look at the old stupid CRT moniters. hhmmmm... they're not as good as the LCD's are they? so quit you're whining and BUY A LCD!!!!:mad: STOP LIVING IN THE PAST MAN!! GET WITH THE TIMES AND BUY A LCD!!!

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I had a similar problem with an old 17 incher I used to have. I got it fixed but it died only a few months later. When CRTs die, they can be fixed, but come back wrong (like Buffy ;)) I threw it out and got a new one. Best thing I ever did.

as for the whole CRT vs LCD, flat screen CRTs are the only ones worth worrying about. They give more true colours than LCDs, but even the best CRT will look fuzzy compared to a decent LCD. That's the way it is, you can't do anything about it. It's physics.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA

If you pay less then $300 for a 19" monitor, you are getting crap that WILL fail on you long before the better one will.

The statement about crt's being better then LCD's no longer holds water. I have a LCD that blows all, except the very top end, crt's out of the watter. Look at the new screen on the TiBook... My ViewSonic LCD is along the same lines for quality (if not better). Apple also has excellent LCD offerings. Granted, the LCD's cost more, but then you are paying for a thinner, lighter screen that uses less power as well. There is virtually no eye-strain from LCD screens, which has other benefits as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.