PDA

View Full Version : my new iPod Nano is a BIG hassle!

iPoop
Jun 4, 2008, 07:57 AM
So I just picked up a new iPod nano (2G) and I cant even use the friggin thing. First off, my home comp. is an ancient but still very effective G4 400. that bad boy can`t run Leopard (or so they say) so I cant get iTunes 7.6.1 which is what is needed to run my ipod. Next my work comp is only OS 10.4.9 and they cant upgrade yet for testing reasons. Lastly, my wife has a PC and that`ll work fine but I bought an iPod because I love Macs, not so I have to decipher my wifes retarded PC language everytime I want to changes songs. The other big deal is the proprietary bit. I tried to dump some songs from her iTunes 7.5 to my dying iPod mini only to need her security code even though they were songs I gave her.

So all that yapping aside, how do I make my ipod 1) useable and 2) enjoyable (i.e. use my mac and my wifes PC to swap songs, etc.) I`m not trying to steal here or anything, just to use whats mine, song-wise, already.

Boy, im really frustrated with Apple right now...

Tallest Skil
Jun 4, 2008, 07:58 AM
You'll have to use a different computer until you can upgrade. I keep over 400 MHz in my pocket now...

Wait... what's wrong with your work computer?! iTunes 7.6.2 runs in Tiger.

Chundles
Jun 4, 2008, 07:59 AM
So I just picked up a new iPod nano (2G) and I cant even use the friggin thing. First off, my home comp. is an ancient but still very effective G4 400. that bad boy can`t run Leopard (or so they say) so I cant get iTunes 7.6.1 which is what is needed to run my ipod. Next my work comp is only OS 10.4.9 and they cant upgrade yet for testing reasons. Lastly, my wife has a PC and that`ll work fine but I bought an iPod because I love Macs, not so I have to decipher my wifes retarded PC language everytime I want to changes songs. The other big deal is the proprietary bit. I tried to dump some songs from her iTunes 7.5 to my dying iPod mini only to need her security code even though they were songs I gave her.

So all that yapping aside, how do I make my ipod 1) useable and 2) enjoyable (i.e. use my mac and my wifes PC to swap songs, etc.) I`m not trying to steal here or anything, just to use whats mine, song-wise, already.

Boy, im really frustrated with Apple right now...

Why are you frustrated with Apple? The required specs for iPod are on the box. I'd be kicking myself that I didn't do the research.

iPoop
Jun 4, 2008, 08:05 AM
I read the specs on the iTunes required but didnt realize that iTunes would need the latest OS. It seems a little `manufactured` by Apple (read: must sell new stuff to fans). I also `assumed` their was some hack or firmware to downgrade the iPod software. Ive found that was Macs strength in the past; The ability for novices to do a bit of `customizing`.

Consultant
Jun 4, 2008, 11:47 AM
You are wrong about the system requirement
iTunes 7.6 works in 3 most recent generations of the Mac OS.

You need to actually READ the system requirement and download the latest iTunes from Apple. Note for awhile Apple had made 3 separate installers for different Mac OS (10.3, 10.4, 10.5), maybe you have one of those?

www.apple.com/itunes/download

iPod Nano's spec mention 10.3.9 and up, so I don't see what the problem is, since the latest iTunes work for 10.3.9 and up.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/consumer_electronics/stats/ipod-2nd-generation-nano-specs.html

Your wife won't trust you enough with her iTunes account? Wow, maybe there is a reason? :rolleyes:

---
There are older iTunes that might be compatible with pre 10.3 Mac OS.
Get them from oldapps.com/itunes.htm