PDA

View Full Version : Airport express - extend wifi signal????

aaquib
Jun 4, 2008, 02:35 PM
I have a d link di 524 router in my basement, and I wanted to extend the signal with my Airport Express base station. It it possible? If not, can the Airport pick up the signal and then with an ethernet cable send it to my Mac?

Thanks
Aaquib

Burtonsnow9
Jun 4, 2008, 03:03 PM
If not, can the Airport pick up the signal and then with an ethernet cable send it to my Mac?

Thanks
Aaquib

yeaa i was wondering the same thing.

anyone know about it picking up a signal and then using the Ethernet port to send signal to comp?

ert3
Jun 4, 2008, 03:10 PM
um first off yes you may connect the two routers via ethernet to extend your network though items on either network may have trouble talking to each other. (this is a result of subnetting which you technically will be doing without meaning to).

Secondly ehternet cables do not detect signals and neither do their ports, its a wired interface not wireless.

Assuming you don't entirely get this here is what you want to do from what I can tell.

Either 1 go out and buy something called a wirless repeater as it does exactly what you need here and is much cheaper.

Or two do the following.
1 figure out how far away the second router can be to maintain about 3 or more signal bars from your router.

2 get a device that takes wireless signal and places it onto ethernet cable like this http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WET54G-Wireless-G-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/tech-data/B00008WMBT/ref=de_a_smtd/002-3431459-4464822
Bride is the term you are looking for and by the way don't waste your time with this one if you have wireless N on your base router.

3 connect the Bridge or adapter or cable to your second router (The Airport extreme) in the same way you would connect a cable/dsl modem.

4 bone up on your terminology

Burtonsnow9
Jun 4, 2008, 03:24 PM
yeaa i'm pretty sure we both just asked if you could use the express as a bridge, and i do know what i'm talking about. i was just trying to help the other person. i use a linksys bridge in my room to pick up wifi and send it to my xbox.

Secondly ehternet cables do not detect signals and neither do their ports, its a wired interface not wireless.

also neither one of us said that if you go back and actually read the post. it says can the airport express pick up a wireless signal and then place it on ehternet like a bridge

skye12
Jun 4, 2008, 03:26 PM
I believe it can be used as a bridge as well as an airport exteme.
Read the pdf about designing airport networks at the apple support
site.

ert3
Jun 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
While I will concede I read this a bit to quickly I still recomend just getting a bridge instead of a router.

aaquib
Jun 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
While I will concede I read this a bit to quickly I still recomend just getting a bridge instead of a router.

I already bought an Airport though, and may need it as a router later. I called Apple and the girl I spoke to was the worst Apple employee I ever spoke to. She was so confused, but she had my Mac talk to the Airport wirelessly. She said she didn't know how to do it wired. I'm not sure if its connected to the Airport express though because on my Mac it says that it's still connected to "default" which is the name of my d link router.

djbahdow01
Jun 4, 2008, 03:43 PM
I already bought an Airport though, and may need it as a router later. I called Apple and the girl I spoke to was the worst Apple employee I ever spoke to. She was so confused, but she had my Mac talk to the Airport wirelessly. She said she didn't know how to do it wired. I'm not sure if its connected to the Airport express though because on my Mac it says that it's still connected to "default" which is the name of my d link router.

According to the Apple site you can not use the Express as a bridge/extender with a non Apple router.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515?viewlocale=en_US

Was looking at this yesterday as I have an Express and Extreme and are using them in WDS now.

forza.juve
Jun 4, 2008, 08:26 PM
n e body know how to use airport express...do u simply plug it in and you get a new connection???

Brendanbc1
Dec 21, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have a 2wire router from uverse and I connected my old extreme to the network. I used the wds thing and the wpa/wpa2 security and it hooked up. It does not extend the network, but it let's me use the printer wirelessly, which is good because there is no place for the printer by the computer and you can't move the uverse router because it gets it Internet from something different than dsl.