Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slate1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
What's up with that? I really hope that this means a change in the 24hr rule is forthcoming for the US as well.:mad:

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I'm gonna have to agree. We should've got 48 hours to start with, now they're just breeding resentment.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
What's up with that? I really hope that this means a change in the 24hr rule is forthcoming for the US as well.:mad:
I am afraid it might be a typo :eek:
But I'll keep you guys posted when I rent the first movie here.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Take that anger, multiply it by like 1000 and then you'll feel how we feel in Canada most of the time when it comes to Apple products/services :D

slate1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Yep us brits get 48 hours because we have to stop the movies half way through for a cup of tea and jam butties.... :)

I've got a business trip to the UK next month that I'm seriously reconsidering now that I find out you brits enjoy somthing called "jam butties"....

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I know 48 Hours is a good film, but don't think it's worth getting that upset over....

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
You have got to be kidding

You mean for the first time in the history of Apple, Apple actually does something that doesn't absolutely favour the US, you complain. Give those poor sun starved Brits a break. Think of all that rain they have to live with! An Apple TV with movie rentals will probably save a whole nation from chronic depression.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The copyright holders are different in different countries than the US. It is plausable that some have chosen 48 hours, but certain US copyright holders may be stubborn about keeping the 24 hour rules. This is not Apple's problem, but instead that of the studios and distributers. Contact the studios and distributers to get them to increase the standby time.

TEG

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
You mean for the first time in the history of Apple, Apple actually does something that doesn't absolutely favour the US, you complain. Give those poor sun starved Brits a break. Think of all that rain they have to live with! An Apple TV with movie rentals will probably save a whole nation from chronic depression.

Actually the 24 hour rule is from the Studios - not Apple. All cable/satellite pay per views here are bound by the same rule as well (as are any other similar rental services).

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Yeah for once we get something better then the states....it doesn't happen often. We don't even have the iPhone yet. :rolleyes:

Fezzy

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
A film I rented yesterday (26 hours ago) has still got 22 hours left until it expires. It seems that US films now have 48 hours until they expire.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
That's fantastic! I just bought an Apple TV the other day for my dad, haven't taken it out of the box yet! Makes me feel even better about the purchase!

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007

I know your in Italy (Love the country, Want to live there some day) but that is a bit stereotypical isn't it:eek:, I mean in Cornwall (Where I live) we have loads of sun so Ha your line back fired LoL.

Back on topic I thought the US have 48hrs now as well:confused:.

slate1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
A film I rented yesterday (26 hours ago) has still got 22 hours left until it expires. It seems that US films now have 48 hours until they expire.

Are you sure? That would mean you started watching it aprox. 25 hours ago (since, I believe, it's 24 hours from the ending time of the movie...), does that sound about right?

That's awesome if it's true! Seems odd Apple wouldn't have announced it.

L8Bloomer

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
West Coast, Canada
I've been trying (and failing) to rent movies. I get all the way to accepting the rental and then get told NO CAN DO (see my related thread). ANYHOO, it says that we have 24 to watch the movie once we've started. After trying to rent well over a dozen movies not a one gave me 48 hours, all were 24.

Given that we STILL don't have iPhone, and we had to wait this long to rent (and some of us still can't) and a million other things that we get to watch you guys do South of the 49th that are unavailable to us...I'm not too sympathetic if we do end up with a longer watch time than the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.