Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samwalker7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
I was trying to download updates for my ibook but it told me the "Start-Up" drive was full and some files needed to be removed. I followed some bad advice: During boot-up, I held down the "Options" key which allowed me to switch from 10.3.4 OS to OS 9. Bad idea! Now, the ibook will not boot up. I get a gray screen with an icon that looks like a floppy disc with a question mark inside it. It runs for a few minutes, then shuts down. How do I correct this?
Ibook Model # M6497.
Thanks!
Sam

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
If it won't boot into OS9, then restart and select your OSX startup folder. Your OS9 system might be corrupted or you might need to repair your permissions.

Have you also tried resetting the PMU? Hold down Command:)apple:), Option, P, R during startup and release once you hear it restart (Holding for 3 or more restarts usually helps too). Hold down Option again to see if you can select your OS-X startup folder and boot from that.

samwalker7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Suggestions

I followed your suggestions and have been able to get it on the OS-X startup folder but it won't open it. I agree with you that the O9 is probably corrupt. When it tries to boot from there, I can hear a clicking sound, which, in a normal rig, usually indicates that the HD is dead. Any other ideas on how I can force this OS-X folder to open?
Thanks in advance!
Sam

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I followed your suggestions and have been able to get it on the OS-X startup folder but it won't open it. I agree with you that the O9 is probably corrupt. When it tries to boot from there, I can hear a clicking sound, which, in a normal rig, usually indicates that the HD is dead. Any other ideas on how I can force this OS-X folder to open?
Thanks in advance!
Sam

Is it a constant clicking sound over and over? Then yes it's dead :(. Same thing happened to mine a few weeks ago. Mine won't even mount anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.