Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
I've tried numerous times and in all configurations but have yet to see back to my mac work.

is there something basic that i'm missing? is everyone else able to get it to work as expected?

I'm going to look again at the basic tutorial but if someone has a tip list or a link i would very much appreciate it!

thanks!

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Good luck

There's an editorial in the July MacWorld about how Back to My Mac sucks and rarely works and when it does, it's seemingly random.

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
somehow, i got it to work from my office to back home. i'm not sure that home back to my office is going to work as none of my office computers are showing up as shared locations on my home computer.

my home computer is connected from wire to router to cable modem.

my office computers are connected wirelessly through an airport.

i have a home computer on wireless airport as well and that computer is not showing up but that computer might be asleep.

is there a wireless setting somewhere i might need to fix that anyone can think of?

thanks!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
somehow, i got it to work from my office to back home. i'm not sure that home back to my office is going to work as none of my office computers are showing up as shared locations on my home computer.

my home computer is connected from wire to router to cable modem.

my office computers are connected wirelessly through an airport.

i have a home computer on wireless airport as well and that computer is not showing up but that computer might be asleep.

is there a wireless setting somewhere i might need to fix that anyone can think of?

thanks!

mine has worked over wireless also. i can't think of anything that you need to do for it to work, besides turn it on in system preferences.

if you go into system preferences, under .Mac, and click on Back to my Mac, usually it will say if it's working properly

shaolindave

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
Six and a half years later....

... and "Back to my Mac" still sucks and still works just as randomly as ever.

EssentialGadget

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Use TeamViewer.com

Teamviewer is excellent. Also cross platform and free. Much easier and reliable than Back to my MAC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.