Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Hi there,
I originally set up my Apple TV with RCA cables and it was fine and dandy and then I had to rearrange my room and used same set of cables apple tv turns out black and white.

I have tried over 4 different pairs, same result

Any thoughts?

Jawad

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
My first thought is "HDMI."

But, I'm assuming that you don't have a TV with HDMI.

Get one. Problem solved.

jmir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
My first thought is "HDMI."

But, I'm assuming that you don't have a TV with HDMI.

Get one. Problem solved.

i do have a tv with hdmi but what doesn't make sense is that i never had it set up with hdmi and it worked fine without it

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Hi there,
I originally set up my Apple TV with RCA cables and it was fine and dandy and then I had to rearrange my room and used same set of cables apple tv turns out black and white.

I have tried over 4 different pairs, same result

Any thoughts?

Jawad

But you must have changed SOMETHING....

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
No idea about any of this stuff, but this is my first two thoughts. I appreciate you may have tried both already.

[1] Reset all the software on the TV. There is normally an option burried deep in the confusing menu hierarchies of these things.
[2] Make sure the plugs are actually properly connected and pushed in fully.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
the answer...

The Apple TV has component video out. If you use component video cable and plug this into the older style RCA inputs (has a red/white for stereo audio and yellow for video), you will get a black and white picture. Plug the cable into the component video port (has red, green, blue terminals) and this should solve it. I made this mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.