PDA

View Full Version : apple tv black and white

jmir
Jun 4, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hi there,
I originally set up my Apple TV with RCA cables and it was fine and dandy and then I had to rearrange my room and used same set of cables apple tv turns out black and white.

I have tried over 4 different pairs, same result

Any thoughts?

Jawad

ayale99
Jun 5, 2008, 03:45 PM
My first thought is "HDMI."

But, I'm assuming that you don't have a TV with HDMI.

Get one. Problem solved.

jmir
Jun 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
My first thought is "HDMI."

But, I'm assuming that you don't have a TV with HDMI.

Get one. Problem solved.

i do have a tv with hdmi but what doesn't make sense is that i never had it set up with hdmi and it worked fine without it

tom1971
Jun 5, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hi there,
I originally set up my Apple TV with RCA cables and it was fine and dandy and then I had to rearrange my room and used same set of cables apple tv turns out black and white.

I have tried over 4 different pairs, same result

Any thoughts?

Jawad

But you must have changed SOMETHING....

elppa
Jun 5, 2008, 06:26 PM
No idea about any of this stuff, but this is my first two thoughts. I appreciate you may have tried both already.

[1] Reset all the software on the TV. There is normally an option burried deep in the confusing menu hierarchies of these things.
[2] Make sure the plugs are actually properly connected and pushed in fully.

dbwie
Jun 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
The Apple TV has component video out. If you use component video cable and plug this into the older style RCA inputs (has a red/white for stereo audio and yellow for video), you will get a black and white picture. Plug the cable into the component video port (has red, green, blue terminals) and this should solve it. I made this mistake.

sambapati87
Jun 5, 2008, 11:31 PM
i do have a tv with hdmi

buy an hdmi cable...

NibbleDapple
Jun 7, 2008, 04:37 AM
You may have some how did the RCA/HDMI work around the first time set up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNFCjKrVlc Other than that & hacking the aTV I'm not aware of any other way to get color out of RCA.

jmir
Jun 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
You may have some how did the RCA/HDMI work around the first time set up.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNFCjKrVlc Other than that & hacking the aTV I'm not aware of any other way to get color out of RCA.

thx for everyone's input