PDA

View Full Version : Elite iPod Stereo Wireless Networking:

pawn3d
Jun 5, 2008, 02:43 AM
SUMMARY: I want each room in my house equipped with wireless speakers, with their own remote, all run off my ipod. Is this possible?

In one room I would like to have my ipod on some kind of dock that transmits to wireless speakers all around the house.

I have a huge 5 bedroom house with upstairs and downstairs, so the transmission has to be strong.

There should be a remote in each room to adjust the volume for the speakers in that room.

Is there any system that can do this>

reclusivemonkey
Jun 5, 2008, 07:15 AM
I don't think this fits your _exact_ requirements, but its worth a look; I see a lot of people recommending this. Its not cheap though.

http://www.sonos.com/

pawn3d
Jun 5, 2008, 07:42 AM
I don't think this fits your _exact_ requirements, but its worth a look; I see a lot of people recommending this. Its not cheap though.

http://www.sonos.com/

I watched the video and almost got sucked in. I was literally in a state of hypnosis with my credit card in hand when my girlfriend asked me what I was buying... What was I buying?

I might and up getting it, but I'm going to look for something that's simple and suit my needs. I thought Apple had some sort of air streaming or something?

The idea is to essentially transmit the iPod playlist to wireless speakers and have a volume controller for each room.

Blue Velvet
Jun 5, 2008, 07:46 AM
I thought Apple had some sort of air streaming or something?

It does, but from iTunes running on a Mac or PC. It's called Airtunes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93859) and I use it to stream to two places, each of which needs an Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) and an amplifier/speaker combo or all-in-one.

pawn3d
Jun 5, 2008, 08:40 AM
It does, but from iTunes running on a Mac or PC. It's called Airtunes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93859) and I use it to stream to two places, each of which needs an Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) and an amplifier/speaker combo or all-in-one.

So do I need an Airport Express for each speaker set, or is it a distance thing? Should be no problem networking 3 or 4 airports, right?
After it's networked, all i need is to find a remote control speaker system, no?

I also need to buy an Airport Extreme base station, right?

Blue Velvet
Jun 5, 2008, 08:48 AM
So do I need an Airport Express for each speaker set, or is it a distance thing? Should be no problem networking 3 or 4 airports, right?
After it's networked, all i need is to find a remote control speaker system, no?

I also need to buy an Airport Extreme base station, right?

I used to stream directly from my MacBook Pro directly to the two Airport Expresses I have, no Airport Extreme needed. I'm not sure what the range is but my place is quite small. You can adjust overall volume from within iTunes and set each device connected to an Airport Extreme by separate remote control if you wish.

I have an iPod Hifi in the kitchen which I can use the Apple remote with, or the system in the studio has its own remote. Usually, I just use iTunes to adjust things although it doesn't have discrete volume controls for each Airport Express.

I would advise that you buy one or two just to start with to get the hang of how it all works together. The Airport Expresses have a line-level stereo minijack output combined with an optical one, but I don't know much about the optical output.

pawn3d
Jun 5, 2008, 10:30 AM
I used to stream directly from my MacBook Pro directly to the two Airport Expresses I have, no Airport Extreme needed. I'm not sure what the range is but my place is quite small. You can adjust overall volume from within iTunes and set each device connected to an Airport Extreme by separate remote control if you wish.

I have an iPod Hifi in the kitchen which I can use the Apple remote with, or the system in the studio has its own remote. Usually, I just use iTunes to adjust things although it doesn't have discrete volume controls for each Airport Express.

I would advise that you buy one or two just to start with to get the hang of how it all works together. The Airport Expresses have a line-level stereo minijack output combined with an optical one, but I don't know much about the optical output.

does the apple remote controll the Hifi or the iPod?
(That would get expensive if I were to buy 4 Hifis) I really just want a pair of speakers 4 rooms.

Blue Velvet
Jun 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
does the apple remote controll the Hifi or the iPod

It controls the iPod Hifi, but unless you buy them second-hand, you won't be buying one. They're not being manufactured anymore. I don't use the iPod to play music on around the flat.

Regardless, you're either going to need some form of amplification to drive each speaker set. This isn't a cheap proposition.

pawn3d
Jun 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
It controls the iPod Hifi, but unless you buy them second-hand, you won't be buying one. They're not being manufactured anymore. I don't use the iPod to play music on around the flat.

Regardless, you're either going to need some form of amplification to drive each speaker set. This isn't a cheap proposition.i have a $1500 budget. not enough for a sonos, but enough for...?

reclusivemonkey
Jun 6, 2008, 02:59 AM
I watched the video and almost got sucked in. I was literally in a state of hypnosis with my credit card in hand when my girlfriend asked me what I was buying... What was I buying?

Curse those sensible girlfriends! ;-) Sorry to put the sonos on your plate to have it snatched away; it looks fantastic but it is very expensive. There needs to be a competitor out there and in fact there may indeed be one if you google hard enough.

DaveGee
Jun 28, 2008, 09:53 AM
i have a $1500 budget. not enough for a sonos, but enough for...?

You might still have a chance...

1 - (1) iPod Touch -- $399 --> $399.00
2 - (4) Airport Express -- $99 --> $396.00
3 - (4) Powered Speakers?? -- $199 --> $796

$1591 (before tax)

This is provided you don't have any of your own amps and speakers already and don't already own an iPhone or iPod Touch.

If the front page article on MacRumors is true... Apple will releasing a free app to the new 'app store' that will allow the iPhone/Touch to act as an iTunes remote now that would give you an ultimate starter setup.

The one issue is multi-zoned audio isn't really an option with iTunes (at the moment anyway) once Apple releases this software I have a feeling people far and wide are going to work on way to have iTunes (or multiple instances of itunes) running at the same time to support multiple zones from a single computer... Till then you could do more zones depending on how many Macs you have I guess...

This is exactly what I'm working on right now..

Dave