Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
sorry if this has been addressed before- it's quite urgent.

i finally <<YAY!>> ordered a brand-new PowerBook 17. can't wait to get it (actually going to have business associate pick it up @ Apple Store).

the last, and only urgent question i have regarding the new PowerBook's is if it already comes w/ Panther. I wouldn't want the hassle of buying a PowerBook w/ Jaguar instead.

wouldn't this also mean that i am purchasing an expensive piece of machine that's been lying in the store for weeks?

if it does turn out to be installed w/ Jaguar, is there a way to return it back to the store and request a Panther-version instead? (i know it's really not too difficult to install Panther onto it instead, but i've heard frightening accounts regarding switching from Jaguar to Panther)

thanks!

--------
PS. I went to an Apple Store a few days back, and i wanted to see "factory-refurbrished" PowerBooks 17-inch. When they took it out, i almost laughed. the bottom panel wasn't attached to the rest of the powerbook and so half of it was dangling off! (and right before- he was saying "and so our manager inspects each machine and so you basically can't tell...

i'm not joking.

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
If you ordered it from the Apple Store it will come with the latests OS disks. Check your order and see what the specifics are... Also, if it is coming directly from the factory (being assembled), you are guaranteed to get Panther.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
so...

i should be expecting to get Panther w/ my PowerBook if i get it sometime this week (in person)? because it should be in the store right now... (or at least for several days).

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
Re: 17" PowerBook's already pre-installed w/ Panther?

Originally posted by diehldun
wouldn't this also mean that i am purchasing an expensive piece of machine that's been lying in the store for weeks?
--------
PS. I went to an Apple Store a few days back, and i wanted to see "factory-refurbrished" PowerBooks 17-inch. When they took it out, i almost laughed. the bottom panel wasn't attached to the rest of the powerbook and so half of it was dangling off! (and right before- he was saying "and so our manager inspects each machine and so you basically can't tell...

i'm not joking.

Your experience with the factory refurbished model was atypical. I have found with a diverse set of refurbed products that the quality is superb, so don't let this one instance make you balk at refurbed macs in the future, or bring question to anyone reading this thread and considering a refurbished product.

And as for the machine "lying in the store for weeks", computers, unlike perishables such as fruit or vegetables, do not go bad over time. Well, after years lying in the store, maybe.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
hmm... interesting

i paid a visit to my local CompUSA today to check out their PowerBook G4 selection. they had the 12, 15, and 17-inch models out there. i asked the floor salesperson regarding avaliablitity of PowerBooks w/ Panther. he bluntly replied "no". he also said that "all the models here at CompUSA do not feature Panther, but if you want to upgrade, you can pay $29.00 for the new Panther CD).

i was rather surprised, and thought the upgrade cost more than $29.00

they also had the Apple bluetooth wireless mouse (one, and it was already open and in very bad shape).

i don't think i want to shop there, considering they have absolutely no incentives to purchase such pricey equipment there (exactly the same price!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.