PDA

View Full Version : Why Apple Could Kill The Nintendo DS

MacBytes
Jun 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Why Apple Could Kill The Nintendo DS (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080605110804)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

PlaceofDis
Jun 5, 2008, 10:23 AM
not much in this article that hasn't already been thought of before. yes its possible that the games made for the iPhone/iPod Touch will be a huge success, but given that neither of these devices are a dedicated platform for gaming will kill off any 'gaming success' that it can have. it'll be a niche for a long time.

applefan69
Jun 5, 2008, 10:25 AM
I HIGHLY doubt this.. I just simply dont see the iPhone/iPod touch replacing the NDS.

Sure it might make a SMALL dent... but very few people who are looking for a "handheld gaming device" are gonna look at the iPhone. The iPhone is thought to much as an expensive, but fancy smartphone.

iPod touch MAYBE might do some damage because of its lower price and if marketted right could steal a couple thousand sales from the NDS. But i really dont see it being any threat to nintendo.

tk421
Jun 5, 2008, 10:26 AM
Why do articles like to use the word "kill" so often?

I'm sure Apple can have some success with games on their mobile platform. Perhaps they will have a great deal of success. But their is no way they will "kill" the Nintendo DS.

Much Ado
Jun 5, 2008, 10:29 AM
If they can sort out the battery life, that is.

johnnyjibbs
Jun 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
It's all about the games! I don't see Nintendo licencing Mariokart or Super Mario Brothers any time soon...

teknikal90
Jun 5, 2008, 10:36 AM
doubt it.
reality distortion field?

zombitronic
Jun 5, 2008, 10:39 AM
Will this create a problem for Nintendo in handheld gaming?

I wouldn't count on it. Most of the best games for any Nintendo system (and subsequently, a major draw to their systems) are the games which are developed by Nintendo, themselves. The day that Nintendo starts mass-developing games for a system other than their own is the day that Nintendo stops making consoles. As far ahead as they are with innovation in the gaming industry, it doesn't seem likely that they're ready to quit.

Apple's concept of a no-cartridge/no-disc gaming system could push Nintendo to create a DS Shop "channel" for their handheld, but to be fair, they're already doing this with the Wii.

takao
Jun 5, 2008, 10:41 AM
nintendo so far has sold what 65-75 million DS (without price drops mind you) ... for apple to compete anywhere close they would have to sell a whole line up down to inexpensive products which they simply don't want

maxrobertson
Jun 5, 2008, 10:48 AM
Seems more likely that they would be able to kill the PSP. The DS is hugely popular and has a massive library of spectacular games. The PSP is behind technologically. If Apple pushes the iPhone or touch as a gaming device, it seems more likely that the kind of people who want a PSP will look toward an iPhone or touch, due to the media features and higher prices of both. Frankly, this article is pretty stupid if they didn't think about that.

x86isslow
Jun 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
even if iPhone games are playable on the iPod Touch, the age groups overlap only slightly. nintendo's big market is kids, and most parents wouldn't buy kids iPhones or iPod Touches, so nintendo is safe for now. i only hope the iPod Touch pushes nintendo to introduce a DS killer with way brighter displays and way longer battery life than it has now

Agathon
Jun 5, 2008, 11:21 AM
I think they are right up to a point. It won't happen overnight, but something like this will happen for the following reasons.

1. The iPhone/iTouch is not really a phone or an iPod. It is a mobile computing platform. There hasn't really been a handheld computing platform that has set the world on fire yet, but Apple's seems to have a better chance than most.

2. The second follows from the first. Why carry a number of devices, when you only need to carry one?

3. Who wants to go to a store and buy a cartridge, when you can purchase and download games on wifi? AFAIK you can only use wifi on the DS to download demos from one of their stations.

4. Who wants to have to change a memory card or a UMD every time you want to play a different game?

5. Similarly, who wants to have a pile of memory cards or UMDs when you could have all your games stored on your PC or Mac and carry multiple games on the device itself?

6. What amateur game developer is going to try his or her hand at making a DS game, when they could get their app on the iTunes store for a very small fee and won't have to worry about finding a distributor or someone to make cartridges?

Nintendo's next handheld will have to be a portable internet device with an online app store. Whether or not the DS and PSP are killed by Apple's devices or equivalent devices from Sony or Nintendo is not foreseeable. What is foreseeable is that future portable gaming devices will have to be like the iPhone/iTouch in many ways.

batchtaster
Jun 5, 2008, 11:58 AM
It is my considered opinion that they used the word "pour" an excessive and unnecessary number of times in that article.

takao
Jun 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
3. Who wants to go to a store and buy a cartridge, when you can purchase and download games on wifi? AFAIK you can only use wifi on the DS to download demos from one of their stations.

4. Who wants to have to change a memory card or a UMD every time you want to play a different game?

5. Similarly, who wants to have a pile of memory cards or UMDs when you could have all your games stored on your PC or Mac and carry multiple games on the device itself?

technically it's easy doable even with DS specs (since especially the last 2 points are totally widespread with the older DS crowd using supercards etc.)

the reason why they aren't pushing for a more digital distribution with hand helds i guess is that yet they aren't under pressure to do it and going all digital would increase piracy problems even more since the files are quite small

AlmostThere
Jun 5, 2008, 12:52 PM
Nintendo's next handheld will have to be a portable internet device with an online app store.

Nintendo's current handheld is a portable internet device and Nintendo already have an online games store.

Syrus28
Jun 5, 2008, 04:11 PM
Yes, a $400 phone with a minimum $60 monthly contract will kill a $127 dedicated handheld platform... Sure...

BongoBanger
Jun 5, 2008, 04:56 PM
Articles like that one are why there should be a licensing board for bloggers.

Seriously, reality check please.

MattZani
Jun 5, 2008, 05:20 PM
I will love EA if Spore™ came with an iPhone/iTouch version, when buying the game for Mac/PC, being able to take say 1 creature out and about, would be great!

avincent52
Jun 5, 2008, 09:27 PM
My 11 year old and all his friends are saving up to buy iphones to replace their DSes.
They'll be 16 by the time that happens.

Most of the DSes I see are in the hands of someone who doesn't need zit cream, much less has a drivers license or a credit card.

And 10 year olds (and their parents) are pretty price sensitive.

iphone.luke
Jun 5, 2008, 10:39 PM
Just like the Nokia N GAGE = Uber Fail, it will never happen...