Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
I was just wondering if I would have any errors or problems with having Time Machine set up on my MacBook even though it will not always have access to the external HDD that I will be using for Time Machine to back up on to?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Nope...it just won't do a Time Machine backup when the external is not hooked up. Also you won't be able to access Time Machine until you have the external in place. -GDF

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I use a Passport external with my MBP. When I plug it in, Time Machine starts and does a backup. When done, usually a few minutes, I just eject and unplug. When I open the Time Machine preferences, the Next Backup line says: When Disk is Connected.

I have not had any problems using it this way. In fact when I converted all of my stuff from my Macbook to the MBP I just used Time Machine and it worked perfectly. I just make sure I just completed a back-up so it was up to date.

tchait

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
That'll work fine. I have a G-Drive external HD with my iMac, which I have to flip on/off, but it works very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.