Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I'm pumped. I tried the demo a while ago, now I have it for real.

Here's the question:

I used to have my camera capture both in RAW and JPEG before I realized I had little interest in the JPEGs out of the camera. Is there a good way to import my many photos, but only the RAWs and not the JPEGS, into Aperture from iPhoto?

Thanks,
Alex

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm pumped. I tried the demo a while ago, now I have it for real.

Here's the question:

I used to have my camera capture both in RAW and JPEG before I realized I had little interest in the JPEGs out of the camera. Is there a good way to import my many photos, but only the RAWs and not the JPEGS, into Aperture from iPhoto?

Thanks,
Alex

you can just import everything from the iPhoto library into Aperture, then selecting just the JPEGs and deleting them.

lanervoza

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Great, done!

Now, how can I effectively use Aperture and then use iPhoto for Front Row access? There was a thread about this recently, but I found the process a bit confusing. Probably me just being daft.

Thanks,
Alex

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The simplest way I can think of doing off the top of my head would be to export low res JPEGs and import them back into iPhoto.

It would be nice if Front Row could just use Aperture library images though.

I am sure someone will have the exact way to do it somewhere on this forum.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Keep in mind that there is some certain exif data attached to the related jpegs which will be lost if you delete them before importing to Aperture. Other than that I agree that the jpegs are pretty useless...

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Keep in mind that there is some certain exif data attached to the related jpegs which will be lost if you delete them before importing to Aperture. Other than that I agree that the jpegs are pretty useless...

Don't you think said metadata would be replicated on the RAW files?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Don't you think said metadata would be replicated on the RAW files?

Shutter activations/clicks are recorded only in JPG exif with Nikons cameras, but thats a pretty stupid eason to shoot jpg+raw if you're going to be processing the raws. You can take a single JPG to find out the # of shots.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
using aperture with iphoto

I bought Aperture last weekend and had decided to shoot solely in RAW format. My main concern at that point was how would I manage RAW photos and all the iLife stuff with iphoto. Needless to say it caused me alot of grief until I figured out a great solution.
In aperture,turn on 'import to aperture library' option in preferences, then import all of your iphoto images. When you're happy you have them all, delete your iphoto library of images.
Now in iphoto, turn off the 'copy files to iphoto library' option. This means iphoto will only reference any files imported.
Go to 'view aperture library' under file and drag the images you want to use into the iphoto library.
Aperture generates high quality JPEG previews and it is these that will be referenced.
Benefits are that you can now use aperture as your primary management software and reference all your photos in iphoto as premade jpegs, thus saving you vital hard drive space. All you have to do is add any new photos you take to iphoto.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
Shutter activations/clicks are recorded only in JPG exif with Nikons cameras,

That's not true. I only shoot RAW and can confirm shutter activations is recorded to the EXIF on my D80 and D300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.