Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
OK, I've not tried removing extensions from the system->library->extensions folder until now....

I'm working on a project using MAX/MSP and Jitter (one for Audio/MIDI the other for video input).

I have a problem in that I need to run both a webcam at the same time as an audio input/output through a sound card (m-audio Delata44).

The problem comes when I enable video input, as the webcam (USB) has a built in mic it over rides my delta44 cards drivers.

This makes my task impossible!

I'm already using a general user webcam driver (http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/) so I checked their site for info on disabling sound input from webcams.

They said their drivers don't support USB Audio and that it is covered in the Apple native AppleUSBAudio.kext driver.

I tried to move it to another folder but it won't let me... I hardly ever use OSX... I'm still stuck in good old os9!!

If anyone knows how I can remove/rename/delete the USB Audio extension I'd be hugely greatful.

I've got no disks to boot from though cos they're locked in my locker at work and I can't get them until Thursday! (4 more days!) and I took the time off to work on my programming piece.

Cheers.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: AppleUSBAudio.kext removal quastion

Ok, I think this will do it,

Go to Applications: Utilities: Netinfo

At the top go to security, authenticate, then go back there again enable root user.

Once you have enabled the root user, log out, at the login menu, click the other option, Username: root , Password: whatever you chose.

You should now be able to edit system files.

If not, sorry I couldn't help.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by Ben Kei
Worked a treat... cheers!

Good to hear it! When you are done playing with the system you might want to turn off the root user (Go to netinfo, authenticate, then disable the root user).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.