Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
new macbooks july 15th best case scenario or september 16th worst case scenario.

why? they are both tuesdays :D. july 15 is the day after montevina comes out. apple will release the redesigned macbooks (aluminum?) and macbook pros on july 15th if they are going to do it mid back to school promo. they will wait till september 16th (the day after the back to school promo ends) if they have already cleared sufficient stock and dont want to do it during the bts promo.

notebook revisions are highly anticipated and to a degree expected during Q3. ideally i would see aluminum macbooks with a processor boost, backlit keyboard, and a bigger hard drive. in my opinion the macbooks will change more than the macbook pros.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
new macbooks july 15th best case scenario or september 16th worst case scenario.

why? they are both tuesdays :D. july 15 is the day after montevina comes out. apple will release the redesigned macbooks (aluminum?) and macbook pros on july 15th if they are going to do it mid back to school promo. they will wait till september 16th (the day after the back to school promo ends) if they have already cleared sufficient stock and dont want to do it during the bts promo.

notebook revisions are highly anticipated and to a degree expected during Q3. ideally i would see aluminum macbooks with a processor boost, backlit keyboard, and a bigger hard drive. in my opinion the macbooks will change more than the macbook pros.

Wow, there is so much non-information here being passed off as real information. ;)

Don't worry, I'm sure Apple has redesigned the MacBook, the MacBook Pro, and even created a Mac Mini replacement, all to be released in July. I heard it from a friend, who has a friend, who mutters things in his sleep. *cough*

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow, there is so much non-information here being passed off as real information. ;)

Don't worry, I'm sure Apple has redesigned the MacBook, the MacBook Pro, and even created a Mac Mini replacement, all to be released in July. I heard it from a friend, who has a friend, who mutters things in his sleep. *cough*

I know this question has been posted so many times but I thought I would ask it one more time (to put a future college student's mind at rest). If you had to give a percentage on the release of a new Macbook (minor or major update) before the end of August? Am I (and many others) looking at a 50/50, 60/40, 80/20?

Konvert

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
As a future university student I hope a revision will be released soon. The chance of one by the end of August can not be known or estimated by anyone (who doesn't work for apple). However I think that there will be something by october/ late september, simply due to apple following Intel's timetable for updating processors. With the release of Montevina on the 14th, i think apple will incorporate it before september is finished.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
I know this question has been posted so many times but I thought I would ask it one more time (to put a future college student's mind at rest). If you had to give a percentage on the release of a new Macbook (minor or major update) before the end of August? Am I (and many others) looking at a 50/50, 60/40, 80/20?

i would say 51/49

also im not trying to pretend to be in the know. i was trying to sound informed to get some discussion going on the macbook release date, since other threads have died and im looking to get a macbook soon. so my apologies if anyone thought i was being "that guy"

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I was planning on buying one towards the end of the month or first week of july.

Should I hold off from buying one? I'm not going to need one until Mid-September but would love to play with one now.

I plan on buying 4 gigs of ram from Data Memory.com and updating the hard drive.

What should I do?

Also it was already confirmed that the next Mac books would have LED screens in them with Aluminum casing. But if I have to wait until Feb 2009 for this to happen then I will go ahead and buy one now.

Thanks guys. I really am desperate for any advice or answers. :)

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Jobs Keynote

I think that it will be kinda like when the Macbook Pro was announced in Jan for Feb shipping.. A whole new line of Macbooks: 13" w/ x4500 graphics, 15" w/ nvidia 9600 256MB graphics (512 option) and the 17" with nvidia 9600 512MB graphics.. All shipping in mid July.. There will be the iPhone 2 of course, including immediate access to iPhone apps and firmware 2.0 for iPhone 1's.. And the "One more thing..." will be the Mac Mini replacement and a new application development framework to go with OSX 1.6.. Anyone taking bets?

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Oh and how reliable is your source? I want a laptop bad and all of this waiting is driving me crazy.

prouss

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
But seriously, do they ever make important announcements on the second day of WWDC or since they made no MB/MBP announcement today is that the end of discussion (for now)? Is it now more likely to be timed with the release of Montelvina?

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
But seriously, do they ever make important announcements on the second day of WWDC or since they made no MB/MBP announcement today is that the end of discussion (for now)? Is it now more likely to be timed with the release of Montelvina?

Oh I realize that I think we will see some sort of Apple Event around that time a week before it is released.

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
I think that it will be kinda like when the Macbook Pro was announced in Jan for Feb shipping.. A whole new line of Macbooks: 13" w/ x4500 graphics, 15" w/ nvidia 9600 256MB graphics (512 option) and the 17" with nvidia 9600 512MB graphics.. All shipping in mid July.. There will be the iPhone 2 of course, including immediate access to iPhone apps and firmware 2.0 for iPhone 1's.. And the "One more thing..." will be the Mac Mini replacement and a new application development framework to go with OSX 1.6.. Anyone taking bets?

that would be so nice. i'm looking to make the plunge to Mac this summer due to my college major this fall. i want to take advantage of the back-to-school offer (free* iPod? mmkay, thanks), but i don't want to wait too long. . are there any reliable sources saying these things?

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
I was planning on buying one towards the end of the month or first week of july.

Should I hold off from buying one? I'm not going to need one until Mid-September but would love to play with one now.

I plan on buying 4 gigs of ram from Data Memory.com and updating the hard drive.

What should I do?

Also it was already confirmed that the next Mac books would have LED screens in them with Aluminum casing. But if I have to wait until Feb 2009 for this to happen then I will go ahead and buy one now.

Thanks guys. I really am desperate for any advice or answers. :)

im in the same boat pretty much. i personally am waiting until the last minute to buy mine just in case there are any updates over the summer.

where was it confirmed that the next macbooks would have led and aluminum?? i saw rumors but...

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
im in the same boat pretty much. i personally am waiting until the last minute to buy mine just in case there are any updates over the summer.

where was it confirmed that the next macbooks would have led and aluminum?? i saw rumors but...

No confirmation, just rumors. However people keep leaning to the inevitability of an aluminum Macbook because it is the only all plastic (exterior) Apple computer now. I am actually wondering if part will be aluminum and the bottom be black plastic (like the iMac)

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
No confirmation, just rumors. However people keep leaning to the inevitability of an aluminum Macbook because it is the only all plastic (exterior) Apple computer now. I am actually wondering if part will be aluminum and the bottom be black plastic (like the iMac)

dont think i would like that. i hope the mb is updated before nehalem, i would love an exterior design before i purchase which will be in the next 3 months. according to some that is a pipe dream and others say any time after july 14th (montevina) is viable. i hope the latter is true

farmerku

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
ideally i would see aluminum macbooks with a processor boost, backlit keyboard, and a bigger hard drive. in my opinion the macbooks will change more than the macbook pros.

I have a MacBook... if it was to be aluminum with a faster processor, larger hardrive, and a backlight keyboard then I wouldn't I have a MacBook Pro..

Why don't they keep the current B/W Macbook and offer a Black Aluminum MBP.. do we think they will make a white aluminum MacBook? Just offer the MBP in different colors and smaller screen.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
the macbooks are the 13.3" screen which is less portable than the air. both are 13.3" but different thicknesses for different parts of the market. and the mbp are the larger screens for professionals which need more screen estate.

cthomet

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have a MacBook... if it was to be aluminum with a faster processor, larger hardrive, and a backlight keyboard then I wouldn't I have a MacBook Pro..

Why don't they keep the current B/W Macbook and offer a Black Aluminum MBP.. do we think they will make a white aluminum MacBook? Just offer the MBP in different colors and smaller screen.

on the outside yes.. mbp is really set apart from the macbook in graphics performance though

i would love to see the mbp in other colors. i would get a mbp if i had a need for that kind of performance, but i dont which is why i would like to see some of those features trickle down the lineup.

this is J²

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
I hear a lot of rumors about the next macbooks having an aluminium exterior. Do you guys think, if it gets that far, they will also keep the black macbooks if aluminium macbooks are released ? Because I really dig those black ones :)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I hear a lot of rumors about the next macbooks having an aluminium exterior. Do you guys think, if it gets that far, they will also keep the black macbooks if aluminium macbooks are released ? Because I really dig those black ones :)

did they keep the aluminum iphones for the plastic 3g iphones? no
so no

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.