PDA

View Full Version : :rolleyes: once again... POWERBOOK G4 STARTUP PROBLEMS!

TommyLee
Jun 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
I shut it down last night and tried to turn it on today, but to no avail.
The only signs of life I get is the hard drive quitely hums when I start it up and the green caps lock light works.

I get no chime, no screen activity and as far as I can hear with my ear pressed up to the case, no hard drive activity except for the platter spinning. (no clicks or ticks) :confused:

In an attempt to fix this problem i have performed the following steps
-reset power PRAM, and NVRAM
-reset Power manager
-disconnected all usb/firewire/ext devices
-tried starting in target disk mode
-tried booting from CD.

help me obi-won, you're my only hope.

iToaster
Jun 6, 2008, 02:39 PM
If it doesn't pass the POS test, power on self test (piece of ;) test)... startup chime indicates passed, it looks like you have some logic board problems.

Consultant
Jun 6, 2008, 02:42 PM
Turn on, hold option, put OSX DVD in (if you have DVD drive), what happens?

I was going to say HD failure. But if even optical cannot boot, then it might be logic board?

TommyLee
Jun 6, 2008, 06:57 PM
Turn on, hold option, put OSX DVD in (if you have DVD drive), what happens?

I was going to say HD failure. But if even optical cannot boot, then it might be logic board? I am also guessing logic board, because it's showing all the signs that the service manual says, but I'm scared of buying a new one for nothing.

Other than the logic board, what could it be and how do I determine what it is?

TommyLee
Jun 7, 2008, 04:58 PM
jump!

iSaint
Jun 7, 2008, 06:16 PM
I am also guessing logic board, because it's showing all the signs that the service manual says, but I'm scared of buying a new one for nothing.

Other than the logic board, what could it be and how do I determine what it is?

Apple Store Genius Bar. They'll let you know what it is, and how much to replace it. My iBook's logic board failed. for $299 I got a new logic board, hard drive, and (after first returned it wouldn't find the hard drive) a new battery to boot!

Mac Service (http://www.macservice.com/powerbookg415.html)
seems to be a reliable source as well. I'm thinking of upgrading my harddrive with them.

TommyLee
Jun 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
i have never met a "genius" at the apple bar! :p

hey, where do i buy a cheap logic board?